Stopped losing weight and don’t know why

MWAWMOM
MWAWMOM Posts: 7 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I began dieting May 2016 and in a year I lost 45 lbs. counting calories and running 3-4 days per week. Then I suddenly stopped losing weight. After a month of not losing, I decided to change up my exercise routine. That didn’t help. Then I tried a new diet and ended up gaining weight. At this point I have gained 20 lbs back and haven’t stopped dieting (other than a little bit over Christmas) Now, I don’t know what to try and am becoming very discouraged. Any tips or suggestions would be so helpful. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    bay6s94unt6s.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    If you are gaining weight without eating more calories I would suggest asking your doctor to check for thyroid problems. That was the first sign my sister had when hers started. She just started putting on weight without any change in diet.
  • MWAWMOM
    How long has it been since you've lost weight?

How many calories are you eating per day and have you adjusted your calories at any point during your weight loss?

When you say you started a "new diet," what exactly does that mean?

I haven't had a loss since April 29, 2017

I have been eating 1200 cal/day since I started dieting. I do not eat back workout calories unless I burn more than 700 calories and then I only eat back half or less of them.

I have tried changing up when I eat my big meal every day with no change. I tried intermittent fasting because it was supposed to be the best thing if you hit a plateau and I actually gained 10 lbs after a month on that.

I do record my food accurately and I use a food scale on any food I cook. I am just so confused.
  • MWAWMOM
    If you are gaining weight without eating more calories I would suggest asking your doctor to check for thyroid problems. That was the first sign my sister had when hers started. She just started putting on weight without any change in diet.

I am going to see my new doctor in 2 weeks, but with the other 2 doctors I have tried to talk about this with I get treated like I am just a lazy woman who wants a quick weight loss fix. I even specifically asked to have my thyroid checked and that doctor flat out refused. Needless to say I am a bit nervous about asking this doctor. I am going to do it, but I am not holding much hope of him taking me seriously.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Good heavens, I can't believe a doctor refused to refer you for blood work to check for thyroid issues. What an irresponsible idiot! You will need to advocate for yourself and insist on a complete blood panel. My annual physical always includes these tests. You are not being unreasonable! If you want "proof" that you are being disciplined about your approach to eating, print out a few pages of your food diary and show them to this doctor. Repeat that you are very concerned that it is your overall health that is concerning you as much as your weight loss stall. Good luck!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    As others have said there's something off with your logging because eating that little would have led to weight loss.
    If you have been logging accurately then its time to get things checked out with hopefully a more helpful/ thorough doctor.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    MWAWMOM wrote: »

How many calories are you eating per day and have you adjusted your calories at any point during your weight loss?

I have been eating 1200 cal/day since I started dieting. I do not eat back workout calories unless I burn more than 700 calories and then I only eat back half or less of them.

I have tried changing up when I eat my big meal every day with no change. I tried intermittent fasting because it was supposed to be the best thing if you hit a plateau and I actually gained 10 lbs after a month on that.

I do record my food accurately and I use a food scale on any food I cook. I am just so confused.

If you've been eating 1200 calories every day without fail, without cheats, without special occasions, with impeccable logging, since May of 2016, then have you considered a diet break? I honestly cannot imagine sticking to 1200 calories for that long, especially with almost a year with no results, so kudos to you for managing it. But it might be time to step back and eat at maintenance for a while to let your body readjust.
  • MWAWMOM
    Good heavens, I can't believe a doctor refused to refer you for blood work to check for thyroid issues. What an irresponsible idiot! You will need to advocate for yourself and insist on a complete blood panel. My annual physical always includes these tests. You are not being unreasonable! If you want "proof" that you are being disciplined about your approach to eating, print out a few pages of your food diary and show them to this doctor. Repeat that you are very concerned that it is your overall health that is concerning you as much as your weight loss stall. Good luck!

Getting a doctor to listen to me and take me seriously is my current plan. My husband is even going to go with me to the doctor to back me up when I say that I have been dieting and exercising and still gaining weight. Thank you for the suggestion of printing out some of my diary pages. I will definitely do that before I go!
  • MWAWMOM

If you've been eating 1200 calories every day without fail, without cheats, without special occasions, with impeccable logging, since May of 2016, then have you considered a diet break? I honestly cannot imagine sticking to 1200 calories for that long, especially with almost a year with no results, so kudos to you for managing it. But it might be time to step back and eat at maintenance for a while to let your body readjust.

I do allow myself set cheat days so I do not get burnt out and I have even done a few diet breaks since April in the hopes that it would jump start my metabolism again. Sadly, it does not work. I may end up having to go into maintenance for a longer period of time, but it makes me nervous since I have been gaining while dieting. I definitely do not want to gain all the weight back and have to start all over again.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member

I do allow myself set cheat days so I do not get burnt out and I have even done a few diet breaks since April in the hopes that it would jump start my metabolism again. Sadly, it does not work. I may end up having to go into maintenance for a longer period of time, but it makes me nervous since I have been gaining while dieting. I definitely do not want to gain all the weight back and have to start all over again.

What are your stats? How much do you weigh? How tall are you?

How do you measure your food?

Cheat days can definitely stop you losing.

• 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member

Even on so called cheat days, you should log all you eat. It throws off the calculations this program is making as you go day by day working this program.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member

I notice you say you weigh any food you cook. Try weighing all food, including prepackaged foods. Every little thing adds up, very rarely prepackaged foods are the actual serving they say they are.