Ghee-want to know more please

Can someone tell me more about ghee? I've heard of it, never used it, and have recipe that calls for it. I read it's better for you then butter and looking to see if anyone else uses it in their routine. I've seen it at Whole Foods, but never picked it up to read more.

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• the_fit_chef
    the_fit_chef Posts: 15 Member
    Ghee is clarified butter. Meaning all of the milk sida have been removed and it's pure fat.
    It has a more intense butter flavour and I love it. It's also pretty simple to make your own.
    I use it the same way I would butter. I'm avoiding dairy and that's why I use it.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Ghee is clarified butter (milk solids removed) which gives it a higher smoke point in cooking. Because of the process it is also very low if not completely lactose free. I keep a jar on hand for Indian cooking.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    It's expensive if you buy it from the store; you can make it. I haven't done this, but I'm sure you can google it, and I'm sure it isn't super hard to do.
  • ifyouonlyknew1492
    ifyouonlyknew1492 Posts: 64 Member
    Great thank you! I'm excited to try this recipe for blueberry muffins.
    Im trying to get back on track with cutting out certain things like bread, pasta, milk, cheese, etc. I did it for months last year and felt like a million- now not so much.

http://cookeatpaleo.com/blueberry-paleo--recipe/
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    ghee (clarified butter) is so easy to make and its pretty much all restaurants use. You slowly simmer butter skimming off all the milk solids off the top every few mins. It has a very high smoke point. I make it every week.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    After reading about it for a few years I ordered a jar of ghee from Amazon and it came yesterday. Now I have to figure out how to stop eating it straight from the jar. :) I did add it along with coconut oil to my coffee this morning and liked it that way too. I know some LCHF folks swear by clarified butter. I now understand it is the remaining milk being removed that gives it color and taste.

As a kid I milked our grass fed cows by hand and mom would churn some to make it into regular butter.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    I did add it along with coconut oil to my coffee this morning and liked it that way too.

You put ghee and coconut oil in your coffee?

Really? Hmmm . . :#
  • GaleHawkins
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I did add it along with coconut oil to my coffee this morning and liked it that way too.

Today was the first time. Normally it is just 2-4 tablespoons of coconut oil and half and half. I think Bullet Proof Coffee contains added butter but I am not sure. Both are high fat sources and seem to help my pain and energy levels plus I am down about 50 pounds and have maintained that loss for over two years.
  • sgt1372

Today was the first time. Normally it is just 2-4 tablespoons of coconut oil and half and half. I think Bullet Proof Coffee contains added butter but I am not sure. Both are high fat sources and seem to help my pain and energy levels plus I am down about 50 pounds and have maintained that loss for over two years.

Interesting.

Not something I'd consider (I take my coffee black) but, if it works for you, great!

To each their own. ;)
  • GaleHawkins

Interesting.

Not something I'd consider (I take my coffee black) but, if it works for you, great!

To each their own. ;)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Dfux-5Z4COo

This was the doctor that got me interested in coconut oil when I was looking for a calorie source to replace my sugar and grain calories.

Hopefully you have good health but at 63 in 2014 my health was failing fast so I was grasping at straws and thankfully I was able find a way to slow/reverse the fast decline in health. Ketones vs glucose helps some health issues I learned.

I do not think coconut oil is in high demand by people with good health. :)
  • sgt1372
    edited January 2018

I am 67 and am currently in good health but, even if I wasn't, I still don't think I'd turn to coconut oil for relief but, if it helps you (and others) again I say: Great!

• OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    It's expensive if you buy it from the store; you can make it. I haven't done this, but I'm sure you can google it, and I'm sure it isn't super hard to do.

I don't keep it on hand but if I did I would likely buy it from a good ethnic grocery catering to Indian or Middle Eastern customers, for whom it is a staple. The big grocery chains tend to have pretty high markups on items they consider "exotic." Mediterranian Grocery is a good one near me. If you don't know of one you can likely find it by googling "halal grocery."
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    I use ghee all the time in indian cooking. There is a big asian population where I live so it's easily obtained and not too expensive. I have read how to make your own and it looks simple enough.

I do know if I make the same recipes without ghee it doesn't taste as good. But I've never used it in non-asian food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018

It's a perfectly good cooking oil.

I personally would not use it for anything other culinary purpose (I believe it is good for some skin and hair care usages).

You know this is a two year old thread you bumped, right? OP probably has no more questions.
  • GaleHawkins
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I personally would not use it for anything other culinary purpose (I believe it is good for some skin and hair care usages).

You know this is a two year old thread you bumped, right? OP probably has no more questions.

Yes
  • L010
    L010 Posts: 139 Member
    You can put ghee on Bread/toast. used instead of oil in omelet. can be used on cooked rice or any similar grains. can be used on lips as lip balm (mostly for kids and babies as its edible) .
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited January 2018
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The best homemade popcorn I’ve ever had owes its movie theater taste ( and ability to be delicious without added butter) to coconut oil. I keep trying to use it in other culinary applications but find I prefer avocado oil every time.

In coffee? I tried it once. One of the most awful things ever to go into my mouth. YMMV.

Ghee can be disgusting if you don’t get a good brand, We now make it ourselves. It is greate for sauté/sweating veggies in my opinion.