Working out while sick?

My last workout session was Thursday. I woke up Friday and have been sick since with congestion, cough, mucus and just a overall ran down feeling, like I just feel icky and want to lay down. Is it okay and safe to workout while I'm feeling like this? I'm on my 4th day of no work out and I'm feeling like complete crud and frustrated that I don't have the energy to get up and do cardio and little weights.

Replies

• hockeymom180
    hockeymom180 Posts: 35 Member
    I've generally heard that if your illness is "above the neck" -- runny nose, ticklish cough, sinus, headache and even a small fever -- working out is OK. The issue is that you can fatigue yourself, making recovery harder. Also, if you're not feeling 100 percent, the risk of injury can go up.

When I'm sick "above the neck," I try to do SOMETHING. My usual workout is an hour of weights three times a week, or a two-mile interval run on three other days. So depending on the day, I'll either do a less demanding weight workout, or I'll walk instead of run.
  • ripeglow
    ripeglow Posts: 27 Member
    Thanks! Appreciate your feedback
  • hockeymom180
    hockeymom180 Posts: 35 Member
    Go get it! But carefully! ;)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Generally, I don't risk it. If I feel tired, then I think my body needs to rest. I would rather miss a few workouts (or even a week of workouts) rather than risk delaying my recovery. If I wind up making myself sicker, then I'm going to be missing even more training! You know your body; you know when something isn't right.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    I wouldn't risk it if you feel that bad. I'd rest.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    I usually don't risk it when I feel ill, even if it's just a cold that I have. Currently, I've taken a break from working out so my body has some time to recover from the illness since I am exhausted and just can't stop coughing.

There's nothing wrong with giving yourself a break when you're feeling sick.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I'll at least go for a long walk, even if it's slow.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    the answer is as usual "it depends"

for some people- being run down really means all their energy is gone. For me- too sick to workout means- I have a fever- something's coming out both ends or I Have a massive migraine. otherwise- I get my butt to the gym.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    the answer is as usual "it depends"

for some people- being run down really means all their energy is gone. For me- too sick to workout means- I have a fever- something's coming out both ends or I Have a massive migraine. otherwise- I get my butt to the gym.

Yep. It would take a special sick for me not to ;).
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    ripeglow wrote: »
    My last workout session was Thursday. I woke up Friday and have been sick since with congestion, cough, mucus and just a overall ran down feeling, like I just feel icky and want to lay down. Is it okay and safe to workout while I'm feeling like this? I'm on my 4th day of no work out and I'm feeling like complete crud and frustrated that I don't have the energy to get up and do cardio and little weights.

Stay away from the gym or group classes because you may pass your illness/virus to other people. Recent studies point to the possibility of passing the flu to others just by breathing (https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/18/new-study-shows-flu-may-be-spread-just-by-breathing/).

If you are sick stay home, if not for your health and comfort, do it for the health of others. The flu season has been very hard so far. If you feel strong enough to outwork do it at home.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Walking is probably the best. Over exerting yourself could just make you even more tired and harder to recover.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    ripeglow wrote: »

Stay away from the gym or group classes because you may pass your illness/virus to other people. Recent studies point to the possibility of passing the flu to others just by breathing (https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/18/new-study-shows-flu-may-be-spread-just-by-breathing/).

If you are sick stay home, if not for your health and comfort, do it for the health of others. The flu season has been very hard so far. If you feel strong enough to outwork do it at home.

^^This^^
    Especially with viruses like H3N2 that feels like a bad cold, but worse. It is highly contagious and has a very quick incubation time. Stay away from people in general until you're feeling better.
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    4 days of no workout... Big deal.. It's not that serious, at all. Get well first. Your body will give you a signal when you're ready, exactly the way it is signaling now you're not
  • ripeglow
    edited January 2018
    Thank You everyone, I am still sick! It's not the flu, but could be turning into a sinus infection or bronchitis, haven't worked out since the 22nd. Luckily I do not go to the gym to spread my germs around! Wish I had money for a gym membership though. At home seems to be doing wonders for me so far but I can't shake this nasty cold. My kids just got over phenomia and a nasty cold. If it's not better by Monday I will head to the doctor! I just wanna workout :'(
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    edited January 2018
    In my younger days, I would go hard no matter what and would just end up being sick for weeks. Now I take it easy until better and it's overall more productive. Maybe just go for an easy walk when sick??
  • ripeglow
    Finally starting to feel better! Went to the doctors on Friday and have a case of bronchitis. Taking my antibiotics for 3 days now and feeling much better! Gonna start working out again tomorrow :):)