Birdseye Veggie Made Pasta

ohi874
ohi874 Posts: 22 Member
https://www.birdseye.com/product/zucchini-lentil-pasta-2/

Thoughts? It states, "Birds Eye Veggie-Made Pasta – a delicious way to bring the nutrition of vegetables to traditional starchy pasta side dishes. In this new range of Pasta, the starch is replaced with real vegetables. It’s a great way to get your family to eat more veggies !
Pasta made from vegetables
1 serving of vegetables per serving
No artificial ingredients"

There's no ingredient list but here's the nutrition info:
NUTRITION FACTS
Servings per Container 2.5

Servings Size 11/4 Cups (113g)

Amount per Serving

Calories 140.0 | Calories From Fat 20

% Daily Value *

Total Fat 2g - 3%
Saturated Fat 0g -0%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg - 0%
Sodium 160.0mg - 7%
Total Carbohydrates 22g - 7%
Dietary Fiber 2g - 8%
Total Sugars <1g
Protein 9g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%
Iron 15%

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    But how does it TASTE?
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    I'm curious that there isno ingredient list - thought there had to be. I'd want to know what vegetables were in there.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Just googled it - found two types of lentil zucchini pasta and one spinach and lentil.
    https://www.birdseye.com/product/zucchini-lentil-pasta-3/
  • LEdmonds2016
    LEdmonds2016 Posts: 139 Member
    I've had these and I love them! Especially the Alfredo one with lentil and spinach. I can eat an entire bag and be pleasantly full. My husband loves them too. I'm not sure what all goes into it, but it's a great alternative to eating pasta.
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Wow, I'm going to check itout - thanks!!!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I've had these and I love them! Especially the Alfredo one with lentil and spinach. I can eat an entire bag and be pleasantly full. My husband loves them too. I'm not sure what all goes into it, but it's a great alternative to eating pasta.

I really like this one as well. The others I've tried are just meh, but this one is quite yummy! Not a bad protein bang for your calorie buck, either. Makes a nice office lunch.

xb7g1jassyzr.jpg
  • ohi874
    aeloine wrote: »
    But how does it TASTE?

They're actually fantastic... I've had them but wasn't sure on the health aspect...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    nothing wrong with them from a health aspect
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2018
    I find it odd that they don't put the ingredients on the website. Not much in the way of vitamins or fiber for something supposedly made of vegetables.

I use Fiber Gourmet brand pasta. Less calories than this and high fiber. I can put the veggies in the sauce or on the side. https://fibergourmet.com/pasta/3-penne.html
  • ohi874
    I also make them in a pan not the microwave which allows me to thicken the sauce and add some spices like garlic, crushed red pepper, etc. Makes a huge difference imo.
  • astronaught
    astronaught Posts: 103 Member
    edited January 2018
    I don't see any red flags. Here is the ingredient list for the marinara sauce version from Safeway.

Cooked Green Lentil Zucchini Rotini Pasta (Water, Green Lentil Flour, Zucchini, Egg White), Sauce (Water, Tomato Paste, Olive Oil, Onions, Mushroom Base [Sauteed Mushrooms, Mushroom Extract, Salt, Flavoring], Canola Oil, Evaporated Cane Syrup, Potato Flour and Onion Powder), Garlic Puree [Garlic, Evaporated Cane Syrup, Sea Salt], Sugar, Basil, Salt, Spices, Corn Starch).

This is the ingredients from the one you linked .

Cooked Green Lentil Zucchini Penne Pasta (Water, Green Lentil Flour, Zucchini, Egg White), Water, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Corn Starch, Salt, Tara Gum.

I'm going to pick some up next time I'm at the store.
  • ohi874
    I didn't think there was I remembered reading the label and thinking ok what's the catch here? I've had them all and they're all pretty darn good and kill my pasta craving! I'm such a carb queen giving up my processed carbs are the hardest thing ever!
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I just get super annoyed with this stuff b/c the calories are almost always the same as regular pasta.

In which case- I'd rather just eat regular pasta.

Sure,I think that's reasonable. I eat products like this (although not this particular product since it has eggs) mostly for the additional protein.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    I just get super annoyed with this stuff b/c the calories are almost always the same as regular pasta.

Sure,I think that's reasonable. I eat products like this (although not this particular product since it has eggs) mostly for the additional protein.

It's only about 1.6 g more protein per serving than regular pasta, but I guess that is something.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »

yeah- it's not worth it for the trade off- I'd rather just eat another egg LOL.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited January 2018
    It's only about 1.6 g more protein per serving than regular pasta, but I guess that is something.

Hmm, maybe it's a different sort of product than I thought. I had expected it was something like banza pasta, but pre-prepared with a sauce and frozen. However, the protein is indeed a lot lower than I would have expected.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I really like them - the alfredo version is tasty - I make a package of frozen veggies and also saute some shrimp or use pre-cooked chicken breasts - it's a meal that comes together very quickly.
  • Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Love the lentil zucchini with marinara. It’s the only one I’ve tried but it tastes really good