i need advise please

I'm practicing for a few 5ks but I don't want to be in the back of the group so is my timing of 25.59mins for 5ks any good or too slow??

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    Depends on who else signs up, right? Only way to know is to go.

Comparing your speed/ability to others...is it a race? Or just for fun?
  • astronaught
    astronaught Posts: 103 Member
    Do you have a specific 5k in mind? A lot of them post results from previous races online. You can look up by your age and gender and see where you would have finished.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    What level is this group you want to join? A 5K in 25 is going to be around the intermediate level for a group and is a very respectable time.
  • Wheelhouse15
    26 mins is a pretty respectable 5k.

It puts you in front of all of the run/walkers.

And the slow to moderate runners too, he is doing around 7mph, so that's not bad at all.
  • oh really?! thats just my basic jog to be honest i save most of my energy for the final sprint to reach the front. thanks for the advice !!!! I feel really confident now!
  • well most of the 5ks im looking at are for fun and some are competitive, like a few will be foam 5ks, colorful run 5ks, stuff of that nature, and the others will be Spartan race and rugged maniac, but I'm sure those are more then 5k
  • Do you have a specific 5k in mind? A lot of them post results from previous races online. You can look up by your age and gender and see where you would have finished.

where could I look up that information?
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Do you have a specific 5k in mind? A lot of them post results from previous races online. You can look up by your age and gender and see where you would have finished.

where could I look up that information?

I think you can try athlinks.com and search for the race.

Also with that time you would be way ahead of me. I am usually 40 minutes for a 5k or longer.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    oh really?! thats just my basic jog to be honest i save most of my energy for the final sprint to reach the front. thanks for the advice !!!! I feel really confident now!

erm.

If you're saving yourself on a 5K to sprint to the front- you're going to have a better over all finishing time if you run a little harder through out the whole race.

You sound really inexperienced with racing- and running- so I'd recommend just going to for the experience before you concern yourself with your time- and then do some research on racing strategies- there are articles and books on the subject.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    I was curious too after I read your question and found this data, sortable by age/sex
    http://www.pace-calculator.com/5k-pace-comparison.php

In my experience times vary greatly in the participants, race course, and conditions
  • JoRocka wrote: »
    oh really?! thats just my basic jog to be honest i save most of my energy for the final sprint to reach the front. thanks for the advice !!!! I feel really confident now!

erm.

If you're saving yourself on a 5K to sprint to the front- you're going to have a better over all finishing time if you run a little harder through out the whole race.

You sound really inexperienced with racing- and running- so I'd recommend just going to for the experience before you concern yourself with your time- and then do some research on racing strategies- there are articles and books on the subject.

yeah I've never done any 5ks before only place I run is in my soccer matches but I met a few people that do 5ks through out the year and i always like to have a good run, but ill will take your advice! thanks
  • steveko89 wrote: »
    I was curious too after I read your question and found this data, sortable by age/sex
    http://www.pace-calculator.com/5k-pace-comparison.php

In my experience times vary greatly in the participants, race course, and conditions

thank you so much!
  • Wheelhouse15
    JoRocka wrote: »

erm.

yeah I've never done any 5ks before only place I run is in my soccer matches but I met a few people that do 5ks through out the year and i always like to have a good run, but ill will take your advice! thanks

You'll have a natural tendency to run faster in a race as well. Learning to hold a quicker pace, as Jo said, will be very beneficial for you in a race.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited January 2018
    I'm practicing for a few 5ks but I don't want to be in the back of the group so is my timing of 25.59mins for 5ks any good or too slow??

As others are pointing out, it depends. At my local Parkrun that time would be mid pack, so nothing special. The woman who generally leads the tailrunner in is generally about 55 minutes, and the faster runners are generally in the 14 minute range.

Age plays a part, and focus. Personally I'm comfortable with somewhere between 23 and 25 minutes, but short distance speed isn't a driver for me, I'm more focused on endurance.
  • Wheelhouse15

As others are pointing out, it depends. At my local Parkrun that time would be mid pack, so nothing special. The woman who generally leads the tailrunner in is generally about 55 minutes, and the faster runners are generally in the 14 minute range.h

Age plays a part, and focus. Personally I'm comfortable with somewhere between 23 and 25 minutes, but short distance speed isn't a driver for me, I'm more focused on endurance.

Sounds about normal for the races I've been in. Darn jackrabbits and their 14mins! :tongue: