playing piano as exercise?

Have you noticed in the cardio section it lists playing piano as exercise? I'm a music teacher, I play piano on and off all day long. I'm not supposed to count up those minutes am I? If piano playing was really exercise I don't think I'd look the way I do!

Replies

• Have you noticed in the cardio section it lists playing piano as exercise? I'm a music teacher, I play piano on and off all day long. I'm not supposed to count up those minutes am I? If piano playing was really exercise I don't think I'd look the way I do!
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Hmmm, my mom was a piano teacher for over 40 years. She was 5' 5" and never weighed over 105. I think I'll run to the piano NOW!!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    If it's part of your job, you would be better off changing your activity level. Also, I think playing is about 90 calories an hour, and sitting sedentary is 70, so this is really only 20 calories per hour extra.

But, I know on my teaching days (when I conduct and "cheerlead" choirs) I am much hungrier, so I've upped my activity level from sedentary to moderately active.

Just a thought.
    :flowerforyou:
  • I take a piano class at my local college,and i caount it as exercise because i only play twice a week. I think if it is an activity you do every day you shouldn't count it.
    for example take care of my baby all day long but i don't count it as exercise because it is something my body is used to doinng.
    but i agree that you should up your activity level if you didn't count it.
    :smile:
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Actually, I play trombone and I searched around because you KNOW you're burning something while playing, right? I found this site: http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist2.htm
    And I use it when I play.
    For a two hour rehearsal, for example, I'll put that I play for 45 minutes (trombones don't play all the time, unfortunately - composers seems to think we need "resting." Or maybe the listeners need "resting" from the trombones? Anyway...).

I say count it!