Feet go numb while using elliptical

Does anyone else have this problem? After about 20 minutes or so, my feet get all numb and tingly, like they are asleep. It goes away within about 2 minutes of my stopping, but it's driving me crazy. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Don't use the elliptical? I get weird numb foot problems on ellipticals and recumbent bikes. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what. I just do something else.
  • Tedo201
    Tedo201 Posts: 49 Member
    Are you locking your joints?
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    It's very common as you're putting full weight on both feet without the usual shirting around you'd do when standing still. Just remember to move and wiggle your feet every now and then.
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    Yes this happens to me too!
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    This happens to me if I leave my feet in one place too long. I move my feet around, and it helps
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    This happens to me, I think it's really common. I figured it was to do with my feet going around and around but never lifting up.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Happens to me to, I hate machines - I don't do them anymore as they are uncomfortable and boring as heck.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Try lacing your shoes looser, or wearing different shoes.
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    I noticed it happened when I would push down harder on my toes rather than the whole foot. Or if you have your weight shifted forward. Try pushing down with your heels more then on the front of your feet.
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    This always happened to me as well. Or, just my right pinky toe would go numb. Can I just cut that little sucker off?

Anywho, lately I've realized it doesn't happen. I leave my shoes looser around the toe box and just tighten them up top. I also got a different style of shoe, a more low profile style. Finally, I've also been exercising more consistently the past few months so it could also be that.
  • Happysoul0317
    Happysoul0317 Posts: 119 Member
    Tedo201 wrote: »
    Are you locking your joints?

Nope. Nice smooth movement
  • Happysoul0317
    Happysoul0317 Posts: 119 Member
    Thank you all. It seems that no matter the foot positioning, it happens. My shoes fit well. I guess it'll have to be tolerated.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    I would check how tight you have your shoes. Even if they seem loose to start with, your feet could be swelling and causing the discomfort.

I used to have an elliptical at home and ran into the numb feet issue. I ended up trying a few sessions barefoot and there was no numbing at all.
  • BrianString
    BrianString Posts: 17 Member
    Happens to me all the time, but I've learned to move my feet around, loosen my shoe strings a little prior to getting on, and proper fitting shoes. Not so much of a problem as it used to be.
  • GoingSaiyan
    GoingSaiyan Posts: 52 Member
    Are your insoles ridgey? Tried doing elipticals with Roshes and the motion of it made my toes move back and forth over and over. Safe to say I couldnt feel my toes afterwards.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    edited January 2018
    Thank you all. It seems that no matter the foot positioning, it happens. My shoes fit well. I guess it'll have to be tolerated.

Happens to me all the time no matter what I do. Once I start to feel it I switch it up and pedal backwards for a few minutes and it goes away. This is great because it shifts my weight more toward my heels instead of my toes to relive some stress, and it gives my muscles a rest while it works different ones.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Roadie2000 wrote: »

Happens to me all the time no matter what I do. Once I start to feel it I switch it up and pedal backwards for a few minutes and it goes away. This is great because it shifts my weight more toward my heels instead of my toes to relive some stress, and it gives my muscles a rest while it works different ones.

I should try this. Thanks for the tip.