Looking for friends who don't eat "clean" and healthy

Replies

• JanesGame
    JanesGame Posts: 53 Member
    I wouldn't say I eat clean all the time. I have a balance. This week hasn't been a great week! Lots of socal events, staying late at work and snacking ect means I probably won't looseanf MIGHT gain.

Overall I'm still loosing though. I eat fruit, veg and home cooked meals. I also eat out and snack on pop and sweets. Which is okay.

Personally for me I know I can take it too far, I enjoy having a treat and I know that will sometimes come with the fact that if I have too much just k and treats in the week, I won't loose. But it's more important for me to have a realistic approach to it. Whatever works for you.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    edited January 2018
    I am one of, apparently, many who think "clean" eating is mostly a bunch of magical thinking and pseudo-science. About the best thing the "clean food" ideology has going for it is that eating "clean," particularly avoiding grain-based packaged foods, usually leads to choosing foods with a higher nutrient density, so it's easier to get what the body needs with fewer calories. Seems to me like it's an unnecessary extreme though. It's perfectly possible to make better choices without getting paranoid about "toxins" and gmo, etc. Some of it's pretty hypocritical as far as the "clean" stance against "processed" foods, when they substitute some overpriced thing that you can only find in a 'health food' store, and is actually every bit as processed as what it is replacing. Almond flour, for example. We're supposed to believe that turning nuts into a flour involves less processing than grinding wheat?
    Anyway. I do low(er) carb because I have diabetes and I'm trying to get my blood sugar under control, and high protein because I'm working to preserve muscle mass, but I have no regard for buzz words like "inflammation". For me, a chili cheese dog in a Mission "carb balance" tortilla is a healthy meal. I can even throw some Fritos in there as well. I also typically drink a literal gallon of diet pepsi in a day (not that I actually suggest this is a good idea. It's expensive and less than optimal, but I have no evidence that I'm in any way harmed by it either.)

The pepsi probably isn't too good for your teeth if you wanted to get really technical about it, but I generally agree...if you're getting enough nutrients and meeting your calorie or macro goals, why the *kitten* not?! I'm also extremely pro-GMO.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    mortuseon_ wrote: »
    The pepsi probably isn't too good for your teeth if you wanted to get really technical about it,

One would think that, with all the acid, but I've honestly not had any more tooth trouble than the average adult over the last 20 years. I've chosen not to question it too hard :)
    I've also heard claims that the phosphoric acid from excess cola consumption leaches calcium from the bones and weakens them. I did take a hard fall slipping on ice last winter and broke two ribs. Basically hit with my full weight, with my elbow between my rib cage and the ground. I'm pretty sure that's what focused the force into a smaller area and caused the ribs to break. Whether it's a sign of bone weakening or just that I'm in my late 40s and don't bounce as well, I'm not sure.
  • cindy_geary
    cindy_geary Posts: 1 Member
    I love this conversation. I totally agree anything in moderation is fine and different things work for different people.
  • Illy_Mooncat
    Illy_Mooncat Posts: 159 Member
    Husband finished a big school project yesterday so we celebrated with Rubios for lunch. Fish burrito and fish taco, with chips... Mmmm
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    Doing a maintenance break and have some extra calories. Went to Baskin-Robbins for the first time in months. You know, the Moose Tracks ice cream doesn't taste sugar-free... and does taste pretty darned good!
  • jennabun101
    jennabun101 Posts: 54 Member
    I so want BW3 now. Buffalo chicken wrap... mmmmm
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    10.7 ounces of New York strip steak off the grill last night with salt potatoes and butter :yum: I almost licked my plate. Damn I wish I had pictures!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    10.7 ounces of New York strip steak off the grill last night with salt potatoes and butter :yum: I almost licked my plate. Damn I wish I had pictures!

STAAAHPPPP!!! You're killing me here. ;)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    @quiksylver296 I will still be talking about that steak next month! My husband is 100% authorized to do that again :bigsmile:
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    My son's birthday is Friday and his out-to-dinner place of choice is this awesome bar/grill. So many choices. https://www.thefedbar.com/our-menus/

The ghost fries are amazing. I have more calories on the weekend, but trying to keep my fats lower Friday-Sunday. Gonna have to do some creative planning (or eat 5 bavarian pretzels!).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    My son's birthday is Friday and his out-to-dinner place of choice is this awesome bar/grill. So many choices. https://www.thefedbar.com/our-menus/

The ghost fries are amazing. I have more calories on the weekend, but trying to keep my fats lower Friday-Sunday. Gonna have to do some creative planning (or eat 5 bavarian pretzels!).

Yum! All the deliciousness! (Day 1 of TOM and I want to eat all the things!)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

Pics or it didn't happen

(knowing full well you forgot to take pictures of it)

(hey, but if it didn't happen, then there are no calories)

(now I REALLY need to have pics of my steak tonight)
  • fitoverfortymom

Yum! All the deliciousness! (Day 1 of TOM and I want to eat all the things!)

I got a Mirena two weeks ago, and it triggered a 2 week TOM. 2 WEEKS OF EATING ALL THE THINGS. Carbs help, but holy cow, it's easy to not stop with the carbs. That's the only dangerous thing I've noticed about this refeed schedule I'm doing. My brain doesn't like to shut off the hungries with the carbs.
  • fitoverfortymom

Pics or it didn't happen

(knowing full well you forgot to take pictures of it)

(hey, but if it didn't happen, then there are no calories)

(now I REALLY need to have pics of my steak tonight)

I'm making tri-tip on Sunday. I've yet to nail the perfect medium rare, so I'm really gonna go for it this weekend.
  • tammiwithani
    tammiwithani Posts: 3 Member
    I love all of you! I couldn't read every post but from what I did read, you all are my kind of people!