Unhealthy Coping Habits

Replies

• bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    edited January 2018
    I’m a recovering alcoholic so I don’t drink anymore when I’m depressed , but when I did I used to lock myself in my room with a huge mason jar of vodka with apple juice, and just get completely bombed on my bed while listening to music. That was my favorite pastime for several years.

Now I binge eat and isolate myself when I’m sad and anxious. I also will take sleeping pills during the day so I can sleep the day away.

I will lay in bed for hours reading trash gossip boards like Lipstickalley when I’m depressed, because they make me laugh.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    I'm a high functioning alcoholic.

*fist bump* Yup. Me too.

• KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    This thread is so depressing, but yet also comforting because some of y'all deal with shiz the same way I do and it makes me feel like not so much of a loser.

You're awesome :)

Everybody operates on the same principles.

Love your optimism!

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Oh, I forgot to add:
    • Copious amounts of binge shopping on Amazon for stuff I don't need.

Totally. Retail therapy is way too easy online.

I always manage to find things I forgot I wanted until suddenly I saw them again. :D
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Friend of mine told me tonight he has been taking meth (as a way to cope) and had a very bad reaction to it. I am glad he's alive and hope he's willing to get help
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    An ugly cry in the shower and I’m good to go... :)

I'm just an ugly crier no matter where I cry, but I prefer where others can't see the horror of my ugly cry. :blush::lol:
  • relynne
    relynne Posts: 387 Member
    Isolate myself which always includes eating way too much and usually includes drinking WAY too much.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Hiding in my room writing in my journal about all the ways I can die or about how much I hate myself.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Hiding in my room writing in my journal about all the ways I can die or about how much I hate myself.

I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. I do hope it gets better. Maybe it won't all at once, maybe just a little here and there and hopefully all those 'littles' can become something good for you. I struggle too. So I get it.
    :heart:
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    81Katz wrote: »

I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. I do hope it gets better. Maybe it won't all at once, maybe just a little here and there and hopefully all those 'littles' can become something good for you. I struggle too. So I get it.
    :heart:

The only reason I’m alive today is because of my mom. I could never hurt her by dying. It tortures me to think about that.
    Thank you for this.