Diet for hypothyroidism

Please suggest me diet for hypothyroidism... Wt all the foods can eat...

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Are you on medication? Do you have a dr?
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Nothing to avoid or special to eat Follow Cico guidelines along with the calorie allowance MFP allots you.
    Did the Dr diagnosis require meds?
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    I have hypothyroidism. Except Soy products, I don't exclude anything. I have heard soy products in the body interferes with the absorption of Levothyroxine (synthetic thyroid hormone) and medicine may not be effective (still a controversy)....so I avoid them.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    I was told to avoid gluten and RAW cruciferous vegetables.
  • HashiTori
    HashiTori Posts: 1 Member
    I just found out I have Hashimoto Thyroiditis (hypothyroid) it’s autoimmune and I’ve had to completely change my way of eating. No soy, all gluten free, no sugar all greens and no soda or junk food or eating out nothing with hormones or antibiotics all meat has to come from grass fed animals, and mostly organic, no dairy and as tomorrow will be my second week since I was diagnosed and literally changed my way of eating. I haven’t eaten out, had any sugar or sweets. It’s been ya d and quite an adjustment but I’m tired of always feeling tired, sleeping almost all day, not having energy and my mind feeling cloudy and unable to focus. I’m on Levothyroxine as well... I know it’s hard but I wish you all well! Good luck!!
  • Torygetsfit
    Torygetsfit Posts: 17 Member
    Hi there! I have Hashimoto’s too! I do no soy, mostly plant based, and buy organic when I can. No RAW veggies as others have said. Have cut out bread and I’m feeling better since I did that. I am working on reducing sugar, but it’s a challenge as I loveeeee sweets! Example of one of my staple meals I do Vega essentials protein shake with almond milk. You get 20 grams protein and 4 grams fiber. For lunch I usually do a home cooked stew of chickpeas, tomatoes, carrots, over couscous. Hypothyroidism is a pain in the tush, but you aren’t alone! Take care of yourself and be well
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    there is little to no scientific research (published in peer reviewed journals) to substantial changing diet due to diagnosis of Hashi's or hypothyroidism in general. There is limited research that indicates a potential correlation between Hashi's and other auto-immune diseases (i.e. Celiac) where avoiding gluten may be beneficial
  • ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 8 years ago when I had a partial (50%) thyroidectomy & parathyroidectomy. Other than eating my levothyroxine every morning, I ignore it. Every so often, my TSH indicates an increase in dosage; my endocrinologist stays on top of it.

My poor choices of what I eat, how much I eat, when I eat, and how I exercise (or don't) are orders of magnitude more problematic than anything going on in my thyroid, and not because of anything these things might or might not do to my thyroid.
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Non-Hashimoto's here. No special diet, just get your levels tested and take your synthroid with lots of water.
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    eat kelp and seaweeds or take kelp supplements and avoid raw broccoli and cauliflower. (so i just googled "cauliflower hypothroidism" and apparently there are other foods to avoid too such as peanuts and pine nuts and a few others.)
  • I don't exclude anything. I'm only midly hypo though, (0.088mg of levo)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    There is no such thing as a "thyroid diet". Unless of course you have an allergy to a specific food.

Eat whatever you want, just ensure it fits within your caloric budget.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I eat everything and have been hypothyroid for many years. Avoid grapefruit around the time you take your meds and sometimes they say vegetables in the cabbage family although I eat all of them and have no problems.