How many steps a day?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Now I honestly don't know wtf you're going on about.
    Same here! I admit to slight confusion!
    You asked:
    How much has your TDEE increased? 100-200 cals?
    Same question to others who have increased their NEAT by walking.
    I answered with a detailed post which provides estimates of activity factors and approximate TDEE based on number of steps taken in a day.

You replied saying that you are not affected by AT, and provided information (1800 Cal a day maintenance based on sedentary level of activity) that confirms your assertion.

Thus the lower of the two sets of figures in my detailed post would be appropriate estimates for you, answering your initial query.

I said nothing of the sort. I said I have never calculated calories for walking. I consider it part of my activity level. 1800 is based on lightly active.
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    edited February 2018
    Well, today I logged 37,107 steps, but that's an exception just because I was determined to take the lead and win a Fitbit challenge, so I was on my treadmill for hours today. :p I usually average 15,000/day. My Fitbit was set to a goal of 10,000/day when I got it in September, I upped it to 12,000/day in December, and just today I increased it to 15,000/day. I love this gadget, it really helps to keep me active!
  • greenmm25
    greenmm25 Posts: 175 Member
    I am a preschool teacher and with just work I get about 15,000 steps a day but add in a workout I am at around 21,000
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    I work a sedentary desk job and average 9-10 000 a day before deliberate exercise (although I did deliberately change the way I commute to get there).
  • bellaesprita000
    bellaesprita000 Posts: 384 Member
    Depends on the day. I'm a graduate student and TA so I can hit my step goal of 10,000 2-3x a week. On days I workout, especially if I do cardio, I can get ~15,000. Takes a day in the city or a shopping trip to the mall for me to get above that. My most sedentary days are usually Saturday with under 1,000 steps.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    My goal is 10,000 a day outside of exercise.
  • Psychgrrl
    __TMac__ wrote: »
    On most days, honestly, between 1500 to 2000. Right now I’m at 1581 and it’s dinner time. I have a standing desk and exercise intentionally most days. My husband and I both work at home and are in a family of introverted homebodies. My weekly trip to the grocery store is a big day out and then I cross the 3000 step mark.

I love my standing desk!
  • Psychgrrl
    kimny72 wrote: »
    7000-9000. When I got my Fitbit I discovered I was only getting 3000-4000 which was kind of a shock to me, so I'm kind of proud I've doubled that. It's really helped my NEAT, which really helped me slowly shave off vanity pounds!

You should absolutely be proud! :smiley:
  • Psychgrrl
    edited February 2018
    7000-9000. When I got my Fitbit I discovered I was only getting 3000-4000 which was kind of a shock to me, so I'm kind of proud I've doubled that. It's really helped my NEAT, which really helped me slowly shave off vanity pounds!

Well, I'm ridiculous right now with the amount of steps I get at 30K, but I get a 1,000 calorie Fitbit adjustment.

Let me think. I get around 400 calories for 13K steps (I know that because that's what I do first thing in the morning and I see it when I log my morning tea).

I know my Fitbit is accurate for me, so that's the kind of burn for NEAT just from walking. I walk at a decent clip. My morning walk is a very brisk pace (around 4mph). The walks throughout the day are just my normal fast walking (around 3.5 mph).

So anyway, if you can take those two data points and crunch some numbers from them, good luck! I'm a bit hopeless with this stuff.

I'm older than you and shorter, so the calorie burn might be about the same once the variables cancel each other out.

No that doesn't make sense to me. I can't think of it that way. I'm dense though. I've never "calculated a calorie burn from walking" lol.

Well, I'm ridiculous right now with the amount of steps I get at 30K, but I get a 1,000 calorie Fitbit adjustment.

Let me think. I get around 400 calories for 13K steps (I know that because that's what I do first thing in the morning and I see it when I log my morning tea).

I know my Fitbit is accurate for me, so that's the kind of burn for NEAT just from walking. I walk at a decent clip. My morning walk is a very brisk pace (around 4mph). The walks throughout the day are just my normal fast walking (around 3.5 mph).

So anyway, if you can take those two data points and crunch some numbers from them, good luck! I'm a bit hopeless with this stuff.

I'm older than you and shorter, so the calorie burn might be about the same once the variables cancel each other out.

No that doesn't make sense to me. I can't think of it that way. I'm dense though. I've never "calculated a calorie burn from walking" lol.

This link might help if you’re interested. https://www.verywell.com/walking-calories-burned-by-miles-3887154
  • Psychgrrl
    Is it seriously so shocking that a 5'4" woman of 135-145 lbs maintains her weight on 1800? Sidesteel was my coach for quite awhile and he didn't think it was.

Nope and it didn’t seem like anyone implied that.
  • ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    My goal is 8k, but I really push for 10+k. My numbers have decreased some since I switched classrooms (infant room has less walking, but more lifting).
  • missKmorgan
    missKmorgan Posts: 19 Member
    20,000 - 25,000 steps on a work day. 13,000 - 16,000 on a day off.

On my feet and doing barn chores at home and at work.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Daily average last year or so has been 12k, which includes any walking or running workouts.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    manjuk75 wrote: »
    8000-10000 steps a day! What about you? Not sure if that is a good goal or not.

Yeah same as you ... I've been thinking I should be doing much more though idk I'll see what everyone says

You could...but it could also be more efficient to add in some moderate to high intensity exercise.

I don't get many steps with my desk job...around 5K-6K and I don't really shoot for more...it is a more efficient use of my time and better for my overall fitness to do deliberate, higher intensity exercise...mostly cycling and lifting.

This^

Moving more is great, but it's not everything.
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Anywhere from 8000k-14000k depending on the day, I average about 10k.
  • Wow, you guys get so many steps in! I get 2,000-3,000 steps if I don't try, but I've been working on getting 10k every day, except for the last week when I was sick. To get 10k, I have to think about getting steps in and jog in place alot during the day. I have been doing that for the last two months. I do stay at home and homeschool, so I jog in place while teaching and supervising. My step counter only counts steps if there are 8 or more in a row and we don't have big rooms.
    Do your step counters count little moving around steps?
  • kam3190
    kam3190 Posts: 157 Member
    Wow, you guys get so many steps in! I get 2,000-3,000 steps if I don't try, but I've been working on getting 10k every day, except for the last week when I was sick. To get 10k, I have to think about getting steps in and jog in place alot during the day. I have been doing that for the last two months. I do stay at home and homeschool, so I jog in place while teaching and supervising. My step counter only counts steps if there are 8 or more in a row and we don't have big rooms.

when im stuck at home on my days off Its harder for me to get alot of steps in. To do it i usually walk back and forth through the hallway with my music or book.Its about 10ft and I just walk to the end turn around over and over.
  • rojiblankalizz
    rojiblankalizz Posts: 38 Member
    Wow, you guys get so many steps in! I get 2,000-3,000 steps if I don't try, but I've been working on getting 10k every day, except for the last week when I was sick. To get 10k, I have to think about getting steps in and jog in place alot during the day. I have been doing that for the last two months. I do stay at home and homeschool, so I jog in place while teaching and supervising. My step counter only counts steps if there are 8 or more in a row and we don't have big rooms.

I've noticed my fit bit won't count my steps when I'm pushing the cart at the store or carrying something it kinda sucks lol but I'm getting used to moving my hands more to get a good count