29 y.o, morbidly obese and diabetic

Jobar001
Jobar001 Posts: 21 Member
edited February 2018 in Introduce Yourself
Hi!

Quite a title I know, but this year is about putting it all out there for me! I just had my last twenties birthday and couldn't have received a better gift then to be diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes! Yay me!

I've been overweight a majority of my life and all of my adulthood. I describe being overweight as my entire identity. It has played a major role in who I am for as long as I can remember. Going out with friends eating every and anything I wanted, bingeing in front of the tv all night. The normalcy in which I'd destroy a box of cookies, a bag of chips or half a carton of ice cream would put most overeaters to shame... Let's be honest, it was the whole carton.

Needless to say, I recognize this is all on me. I am not one of those people who wonder how I ended up here at over 400 lbs. Not even for a second. But, I've also come to realize I am the only one who can get myself out of this mess!

So this is me. 29 Years old, still morbidly obese and newly diabetic. But I am also, strong, determined, driven and officially 40 lbs down!

Thanks for reading. :smile:

Replies

• hellobarb
    hellobarb Posts: 15 Member
    Hey, queen! Happy belated birthday and welcome to your new journey! You got this!
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Welcome @Jobar001 :)
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    I love that you understand how you got where you are. And that you're changing the direction of your life. It's obviously necessary for your health but I guarantee that you will feel so much better, both physically and emotionally! Remember that it isn't always easy and that it won't be fast but start thinking like a healthy person instead of an overeater. Re-define yourself! I know you can do it!
  • Jobar001
    Tblackdogs wrote: »
    I love that you understand how you got where you are. And that you're changing the direction of your life. It's obviously necessary for your health but I guarantee that you will feel so much better, both physically and emotionally! Remember that it isn't always easy and that it won't be fast but start thinking like a healthy person instead of an overeater. Re-define yourself! I know you can do it!

Thanks! Your words mean alot! It's definitely going to be a long journey. A change of mindset is in the works. The best compliment I received the other day was: You seem different, happier. That statement meant more than a 'you look like you've lost weight'. Here's to feeling better!
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Jobar001 wrote: »
    You seem different, happier.

That's awesome!

• HalaMadrid94
    HalaMadrid94 Posts: 30 Member
    40 lbs down is sooo fantastic , love it! you must have put a great deal work & determination in!

Gotta say I relate SO MUCH to what you talk about here — binge eating whatever I want , letting my weight 100% define me & it's pretty much been my whole life.

Anyway , I got like 140 lbs to lose & would love more friends for support & all! Please feel free to add me! (:
  • juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    You've got the perfect attitude to make positive changes to your health. Best wishes to you on your journey!! You can do it!
  • amieee12349
    amieee12349 Posts: 3 Member
    I get how you used to feel; I'd binge eat all the time, mostly for no reason at all. Although I've got 75lbs to lose and I haven't lost any weight yet, I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one who has been there. Posts like yours help me out a lot. I hope you do really well with your weight loss! :smile:
  • Jobar001
    I get how you used to feel; I'd binge eat all the time, mostly for no reason at all. Although I've got 75lbs to lose and I haven't lost any weight yet, I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one who has been there. Posts like yours help me out a lot. I hope you do really well with your weight loss! :smile:

Thanks! You can do it! We're in this together.
  • AnnieH_4512
    AnnieH_4512 Posts: 1,421 Member
    Welcome!! More than happy to travel on this journey with you!! FR sent if that's okay!
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    This is a really great introductory post, Jobar! Owning your role in your situation puts you in prime position to discover your secret, TRUE identity in time for your 30th (and I suspect 'awesome' is part of that identity) :wink: I like your attitude.
  • MizzBree
    MizzBree Posts: 265 Member
    Love your attitude! I sent u a friend request! Let's do this girlie!!!
  • Jobar, congratulations on your New Life and Attitude! You go girl! Very inspiring.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Indeed. Losing weight is very necessary as well as very possible for you. Just get started at it and you will succeed. You'll have to buy smaller clothes. Goodwill.
  • texteach66
    texteach66 Posts: 92 Member
    You're off to a great start!! 40 pounds, woohoo!! I'm a formerly morbidly obese 51 year old - I've lost about 110 pounds in the last two years. It's the second time in my life I've lost over 100 pounds. I had to do it again because I regained them. Like you, my weight is not a mystery to me - I love ice cream, pizza, chocolate, etc. - preferably in large quantities. That's why I'll be logging for life. You can totally do this. Feel free to friend me - I'd love to cheer you on.
  • himi86
    himi86 Posts: 44 Member
    Happy belated birthday! Acknowledging where you are and how you got there is a huge step. I must mention that 40lbs is no small feat so congrats. Feel free to add me.