Suggestion to get more steps?? Fitbit

Hey everyone it’s winter and I’m struggling with getting steps in. I’m a stay at home mom. I have a Fitbit charge and I’m averaging 5000 steps in the day. I want to get closer to 10,000 any suggestions?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    I sometimes just walk circles around the house. You could also do a Leslie Sansone Walk at Home video.
  • kaykaur6703
    kaykaur6703 Posts: 52 Member
    Put music on get dancing
  • StarryEyed0
    StarryEyed0 Posts: 32 Member
    Up and down the stairs!
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    How far are stores from you? If it's only a few blocks walk instead of drive for smaller grocery runs. You probably don't need to drive for a couple pounds of meat and a bag of veggies and sandwich bread.
  • VolsG8rH8r
    VolsG8rH8r Posts: 47 Member
    Vacuum. Might sound weird but I get a lot of steps from vacuuming the house. I also like to hit some rugs in 4 directions.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    edited February 2018
    I go for a two-mile walk at lunch. I also do everything as inefficiency as possible...I park far away, make multiple trips to do a simple task, and I walk around when I'm brushing my teeth, talking on the phone, etc. I was at home all day today and I'm at 14k steps.
  • jmacaroni
    jmacaroni Posts: 243 Member
    I play tag with my son
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Take the kids to a mall and walk around it. More steps if you just keep walking and don't go into stores.
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    I walk around the block or sometimes around the house to get more steps.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Walk to the squat cage.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited February 2018
    I did 14,000 steps in my home yesterday. Every hour or so I would make myself walk circles around the house, go in the basement, come up, go upstairs to my bedroom on the top floor - and my house is actually quite small. It's a 1950s Cape, with only about 900 s.f. on the main floor and the basement is full of junk, lol.

I do this while the TV is on and I can still hear the dialogue when I leave the room. The faster you pace, the better the workout - interesting tidbit from my Fitbit - I did 14,000 steps yesterday but only burned 2400 +/- calories; the other day I did 10,000 steps but many of those steps were done on the treadmill at the gym working much harder...and I burned just over 2600 calories even though I did 4,000 fewer steps.

But doing it in your house is definitely do-able - it's just kind of boring. LOL

I also sometimes just march in place while watching TV.
  • DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    I second the recommendations for dancing or going up and down the stairs.
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I did 14,000 steps in my home yesterday. Every hour or so I would make myself walk circles around the house, go in the basement, come up, go upstairs to my bedroom on the top floor - and my house is actually quite small. It's a 1950s Cape, with only about 900 s.f. on the main floor and the basement is full of junk, lol.

I do this while the TV is on and I can still hear the dialogue when I leave the room. The faster you pace, the better the workout - interesting tidbit from my Fitbit - I did 14,000 steps yesterday but only burned 2400 +/- calories; the other day I did 10,000 steps but many of those steps were done on the treadmill at the gym working much harder...and I burned just over 2600 calories even though I did 4,000 fewer steps.

But doing it in your house is definitely do-able - it's just kind of boring. LOL

2400 calories? I only get around 400 calories for 10000 steps regardless of how it's achieved.
  • I'm also doing the Leslie Sansone walking videos, there are some on youtube.
  • Jessiemax761
    Jessiemax761 Posts: 2 Member
    I also do the walk around the home. I put headphones on and listen to some music or a podcast.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth wrote: »

2400 calories? I only get around 400 calories for 10000 steps regardless of how it's achieved.

Not 2400 calories for the exercise - 2400 calories for the whole day. Sorry I wasn't clear, that's how my Fitbit displays my calories - what my body burns naturally just by existing plus my exercise.

If I do nothing every day, and just basically exist, I burn about 1700-1800 calories per day.
  • wizzybeth
    Oh another thing I do if I can't make it to the gym and need some steps is go to Walmart or another very large store (by myself though) and walk the entire store a couple of times before I actually do my shopping.