Some days I eat very little calories, consequences?

Two weeks ago I was 258, currently in the 250-252 range. I’m typically not too hungry in the morning and eat a 240-340 calorie lean cuisine around 11am-12pm range. Then I typically eat fruits and more lean cuisine throughout the day to get around 1600 calories but some days I don’t snack on fruits and can get by and feel satisfied with 1000-1100 calories a day with just lean cuisine in the morning, coffee in the afternoon and a 600-800 calorie dinner (non frozen food).

Is there any consequences to random days of very low calories? Given that I don’t feel like I’m starving myself. I don’t mind the sodium since it’s still way better than what I used to eat, and my physical last month had excellent bp, sugar, heart rate, vitamin levels etc other than my 40 BMI.....:(. Pre eating healthy I was having too much acid reflux and this change in eating habits has greatly reduced the intensity and frequency of my acid reflux. I’m 5’6 Male, 21 years old.

Replies

• Evanwrx
    Evanwrx Posts: 1 Member
    You’ll be at risk of loosing muscle mass as well as fat if you have too great of a calorie deficit. Depending on your goal that may or may not suit you. Agree with others at looking at calories for the week as a whole.

It might be worth mentioning protein and muscle mass. My understanding is the for maintenance you should be eating 0.8grams of protein for each kg of body weight, for weight loss, aim for 1.5grams per kg of body weight, for in crease in muscle mass aim for 2grams per kg.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    All your blood work says you are doing great! If you make any changes let them be small ones, because you have a winning formula.
  • thrill4funnyc
    thrill4funnyc Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you everyone :), currently on day 19 of dieting and have went from 258 to 249 so far.
  • BecMarty14
    BecMarty14 Posts: 351 Member
    Good job!
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Great job. Work on improving your diet slowly. Don’t worry about it to much there’s a lot of information. Try to keep protein and veg up
  • thrill4funnyc
    thrill4funnyc Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2018
    I think it should work. I’m still finding great success with my method, staying in the 1400-1600 range and occasional 1100 day and I feel pretty satisfied hunger wise. Weight keeps dropping, at 244.4 right now. I haven’t started working out tho so I probably should to retain some muscle....
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I think it should work. I’m still finding great success with my method, staying in the 1400-1600 range and occasional 1100 day and I feel pretty satisfied hunger wise. Weight keeps dropping, at 244.4 right now. I haven’t started working out tho so I probably should to retain some muscle....

Re: retaining lean muscle mass

1) Adequate calories
    2) Adequate protein
    3) Strength training

Exercise burns calories and MFP gave you a calorie goal BEFORE exercise. Are you still eating 1400-1600 on workout days, or are you "netting" these calories.

1500 is a default minimum for adult males. Aggressive weight loss = a larger % of lean muscle loss....period.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    As long as it's not all the time, you truly aren't hungry, and you aren't letting yourself get sick, being under occasionally is fine. MFP count is an average goal, not Bible commandment. Sometimes you don't need all the calories it says, especially if you are less active that day.
    Just pay attention to your body becsuse significantly under eating will eventually make you sick, and the weight you lose that way will come right back.
  • Marykaylady2010
    Marykaylady2010 Posts: 69 Member
    I don’t force myself to eat in a day I’m not hungry I know I will have no trouble eating or drinking a few extra calories on the weekend. Sometime I eat back all of my exercise calories and sometime I barely use any. The calories given for exercise are Necessarily accurate. If you start doing it all the time it may have negative effects as mention but on low day here and there not so much.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Stacyines wrote: »
    Starvation/ calorie deficit caused my metabolism to significantly slow down ):

My body basically adjusted to the significant calorie deficit and would instead either gain or maintain my current weight if I ate at the recommended amount.

I don’t recommend it.

No. Not from a couple days of undereating. Your metabolism can slow down from prolonged periods of deprivation - think months to years

Your metabolism didn't slow down, and your body won't adjust to a significant calorie deficit unless you've been doing it for a LONG time. You would have started to see other changes first: brittle hair, brittle nails, teeth chipping/cracking from nutrient deficiencies, etc. Likely you were eating more than you thought.