Confused custard powder

So I have a packet of custard power weight 75g it says it's 65cals per 100g and 109cals per 167g portion but all you add to it is water so how does that work shouldn't it just be X calories per packet no matter how much water you add???

Replies

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Up :/
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited February 2018
    That's really confusing. I'd use the 65 cal per 100g to calculate how much is in 75g.
  • angelsja
    It says it makes 3 portions of 167g but the powder is 75g :/ I want to have some custard but don't want to go over my Cal's :(
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Can you post a picture of the label or link to a picture of the label?
  • angelsja
    Erm I'm on my phone don't know how to post a pic but I've said exactly what it says on the label it's birds eye instant custard powder 75g packet
  • angelsja
    :(
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Is this Bird's, rather than birds eye?

It is X calories per packet no matter how much water you add. However, the nutritional information that I could find for a tub lists the nutrition as prepared with skimmed milk so I'm guessing that the packet doesn't say how many calories for just the powder.

If the packet does say as prepared with skimmed milk, then you didn't say exactly what's on the label. That's why pictures help. You might want to research how to take and post pictures from your phone so that you can do that if this comes up again.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Is this it? If so, is it giving calories per 100g but not necessarily saying that each packet is 100g? And one packet prepared with water makes a 167g portion?
    xzshu3y3a2m1.jpg
  • angelsja
    It's not made with milk it's just add water custard powder
  • pinuplove
    edited February 2018
    Oh I see now! 65cal x 1.67 = 109 (actually 108.55). One packet (strike that, one serving) prepared is 109 calories.
  • angelsja
    edited February 2018
    Bird's instant custard per 100g as prepared 65cal per portion 167g as prepared to prepare empty sachet into jug and fill with 425ml boiling water makes 3 portions
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited February 2018
    To me it looks very straightforward.
    Each pack has three sachets.
    Each sachet is three portions.
    Each sachet has 75 grams of powder.
    You're supposed to mix 425 grams of boiling water with the contents of one sachet.
    This produces 500 grams of custard.
    Each portion of prepared custard weighs 167 grams.
    Each portion of prepared custard has 109 calories.
    100 grams of prepared custard has 65 calories.
    One sachet will provide you with 327 calories; the whole pack 981 calories.

EDIT: this.
  • angelsja
    It's one packet weight 75g if all I'm doing is adding water how can that change the calories in it?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    angelsja wrote: »
    It's one packet weight 75g if all I'm doing is adding water how can that change the calories in it?

Water doesn't change the calories, it only changes the weight.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    It doesn't. Powder has the same calories as powder+water. The powder alone is more calorie dense than the prepared product. Adding water changes the calories per gram, not the total calories.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited February 2018
    It does not change the calories in the powder. It changes the weight because the water has weight. That's why "as prepared" makes a difference.

If you put 25 grams of power in 100 grams of water, it will weigh 125 grams and have the same calories as if you put 25 grams of powder in 200 grams of water which will weigh 225 grams.
  • pinuplove

It doesn't. It changes the weight prepared, and that is what the calories are based on. If you were to eat all 75g dry, it would be 327 (109*3 servings) calories. If you mixed it with 425g water and ate the resulting 500g of custard, it would also be 327 calories.
  • angelsja
    So I should just scan it type in 75g and use that because it says a sachet makes 3 portions of 167g at 109cals but the powder only weighs 75g