Confused custard powder

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    angelsja wrote: »
    So I should just scan it type in 75g and use that because it says a sachet makes 3 portions of 167g at 109cals but the powder only weighs 75g

Are you going to eat the entire sachet? If so, then yes. Log that.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    So I should just scan it type in 75g and use that because it says a sachet makes 3 portions of 167g at 109cals but the powder only weighs 75g

Are you going to eat 1/3 sachet or the WHOLE sachet?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member

The 75g of powder has 327 calories. Are you eating the whole thing?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    If the entry isn't clear about whether it's dry or prepared weight, enter whatever amount that gives the number of calories you actually ingest.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    All of it if I can "afford" too tgats why the info is throwing me off
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    No, because the nutritional info is "as prepared" and includes the weight of the water so you have to include the weight of the water. The pack makes 3 portions and a portion is 167 grams so you'd input 501 grams.
  • angelsja
    pinuplove wrote: »

But it says 100g prepared with water is 65cal the whole packet only weighs 75g :/
  • janejellyroll

But it says 100g prepared with water is 65cal the whole packet only weighs 75g :/

Log the amount of powder you're actually eating. If you're preparing the whole 75 gram packet and eating it, then log the 75 grams.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member

If there is no option for "1 portion, 167 grams", log 1.67 portions of 100 grams.

The whole packets weighs 500 grams when you've prepared it with water!
  • seska422

Log the amount of powder you're actually eating. If you're preparing the whole 75 gram packet and eating it, then log the 75 grams.

That would be true if the nutritional information was for just the powder. However, it's for "as prepared" so logging just the powder weight would grossly underestimate the actual calories.
  • aeloine

The DRY packet weighs 75g. It WILL weigh MORE when you add water because water has weight. Weigh how much of the COOKED custard you eat.
  • angelsja

If there is no option for "1 portion, 167 grams", log 1.67 portions of 100 grams.

There is a option for 1g so I'll just log 75g :/ hope I don't regret it later
  • janejellyroll
    seska422 wrote: »

That would be true if the nutritional information was for just the powder. However, it's for "as prepared" so logging just the powder weight would grossly underestimate the actual calories.

"So I have a packet of custard power weight 75g it says it's 65cals per 100g" led me to believe that the 65 calories per 100 grams was for the dry weight, so that is why my suggestion was based on.
  • aeloine
    edited February 2018

There is a option for 1g so I'll just log 75g :/ hope I don't regret it later

Only if you eat 75g of COOKED custard.
  • seska422
    edited February 2018
    The packet contains 3 servings worth of powder and a serving has 109 calories. 3 times 109 equals 327 calories for the whole packet no matter how much water you add. If you enter it into your diary and your diary doesn't show 327 calories, then you know that you need to make an adjustment somewhere and that somewhere is in the weight of your portion.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    edited February 2018
    this....cant be real..?

like i get that sometimes labels are confusing and i think its stupid when theres a "as packaged" and "as prepared" on some things. (popcorn, for example..who the *kitten* is gonna eat raw microwave popcorn??)
    but if youre preparing and eating the whole thing, then use the as prepared info...
  • janejellyroll
    All of this would be enough for me to choose a different dessert, tbh.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    this....cant be real..?

Checking...2277 posts. I thought for sure you were new here! :lol: