Barre and Weight Lifting

I have always been curious about Barre classes and a local studio is having a deal for a 30 day trial period. I am seriously thinking about giving this a try, but am wondering how this would fit into my current workout schedule. I am currently lifting/strength training 3 days a week. If I alternated weight lifting and Barre classes for 6 days a week with 1 day off, is that too much for my muscles? I don't want to burn out, but I don't really want to give up anything that I am currently doing. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I think you would be sore and it would be difficult to do both on consecutive days. Cardio in between lifting sounds better, IMO. I also think you get more out of compound lifts than Barre, but it's all about what you enjoy.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Thanks. I was afraid that was going to be the response. If I cut back on both activities, only do each 1-2 times/ week alternating with a rest day in between (Ex: Barre - Sunday, Thursday; Lifting - Tuesday, Saturday; Rest - MWF), will I be giving enough focus to either program to really benefit from them? Or do you think I just need to make a choice?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited February 2018
    Like I said before I think you get more out of heavy compound lifts than Barre, but if you prefer Barre, then maybe that's better For You.
  • jesguinn
    jesguinn Posts: 94 Member
    I go to barre 5 or 6 days a week and run about 4 days a week or so. It usually works out to one day off per week (I double up some days). I've found that what works for me is not having a hard set schedule. If I'm sore and don't feel up to it, I just take a day off. No big deal. If you want to try barre, I'd say take advantage of the deal this month, that way you won't feel the pressure to really "get your money's worth" out of it (barre can be pricey!), and play with your schedule to see what works. If it's not working or you're not loving it, you should know that by the end of the month. Good luck and I hope you love it!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    If you're following a good strength training program, Barre is kind of redundant (and usually inferior). As Moosie said, cardio might be a better addition to your fitness plan. :+1:
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    A good friend of mine does Barre. Based on what she's described to me, it's very Core-esq / strength-endurance type work. With that in-mind, I would suggest maybe once to twice a week at most. Keep your strength training to only Compound Lifts (squat, DL, press, bench, maybe rows) and that's it. Get in, hit your 3 to 5 sets and be done with it. Don't do any volume work because you'll get that within Barre. Ideally I'd suggest picking your training goal and sticking with one or the other.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    I really appreciate all the advise given!
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Barre is essentially a serie isometric holds. It won't get you big, it won't increase your endurance cardio, but it'll get you reactive, improve your posture (that looks good in the mirror too), have better control on your movements (if you ever fancy stepping on the stage) and in no way it's inferior to weightlifting.
    Actually Barre can kick a weightlifter's *kitten*, it definitely did with mine, just for the fact there is no iron involved it doesn't mean it's easy. I'd stick to a loose schedule as someone else suggested but definitely go for the free trial. Heck, it's free! Never turn down something free.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    It's only a month- try it out and see. See how you feel about your lifts- see how you feel about recovery- see how you respond to the stimuli.

maybe you can do both but only one class a week?
    maybe you can do 2 classes a week?

You won't know till you try. Sooooo Give it a shot!