Taken Phentermine? No critics, please. Looking for experiences of those who have taken it

Replies

• becaholic
    becaholic Posts: 21 Member
    I've taken it multiple times in my life with no major problems except being very thirsty. Then this past month I've been taking just half of the pill because by the end of the day my chest and my arm starts hurting and it gives me heartburn. I think it makes my gerd worse and I think it's making my heart freak out so I'm not even going to finish the bottle. I stopped taking it for almost two weeks just to see if I was just worrying too much but once I started back two days ago the symptoms are back... Today is the worst with the heartburn though.
    Good luck with it! <3
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Is that a current photo of you?
  • Sandythinandfit
    Sandythinandfit Posts: 58 Member
    Is that a current photo of you?

Me? No. It's inspiration for me to get thin like that again. I am heavy now, wearing a 2X.
  • Sandythinandfit
    kq1981 wrote: »
    Taken it, never again. Lost weight and then put it all back on plus some when i stopped taking it. It reduces your appetite (obviously) so you eat less calories... ive managed, with hard work, continuity and a real determination to lose weight, to reduce calorie intake without any drugs, fad diets or food restrictions. MFP has been the ONLY way ive lost weight and kept it off. CICO every single time. Good luck :)

Me too. I hope when I get off of it I can continue charting what I eat on here. Truly, that is what has helped me the most too.
  • Sandythinandfit
    I have been on it for about 2 weeks now. I feel completely fine. no jitters, no heart racing, just a major difference in not feeling as hungry all of the time, and i eat normally. I feel NORMAL. i have a few autoimmune issues so i am very low functioning. no energy, exhausted all the time. so it's really nice to feel "normal". i don't have to force myself, i just eat breakfast, four or 5 hours later i have lunch, and repeat the timeframe with dinner. and ill have usually a piece of fruit or cheese stick or something in the middle of each meal. I am going to try to get my dr. to keep me on it for the max of 12 weeks. after that point i am going to see if they will give me something more permanent to keep me functioning because i dont want to go back to before. it was awful. i also do think that as long as you maintain the same sort of discipline after coming off, you'll be just fine. every story ive heard or read about people gaining weight back is because they didn't to ANYTHING to maintain healthy eating.

My doctor kept me on it as long as I wanted. After about 10 months I thought it wasn't working. I didn't lose weight, but I didn't gain. So I quit taking it. And pow, I started gaining weight back like everyone else says.

Right-but you also said you stopped logging and keeping track of everything. Every time someone says they gained the weight back it was because they weren’t eating right, or not eating enough. Everyone thinks you can take it and just not eat, and that’s not how it works. I am on the max dose(37.5mg). It may stop working, but that doesn’t mean I’ll stop logging and watching what I eat. I was tracking long before I joined MFP, just did it manually. My issue was that since I got diagnosed two years ago I can’t function. Always have brain fog, always exhausted. I had to fight to get to the gym at least three times a week. I crashed my car because of the tiredness and the fogginess. I had enough. My thyroid is exactly where it needs to be, and my other issues are under control. I do attribute some of the issue to the medication I take, but if I dont take it I’m in bigger trouble. I have felt so much better the last couple weeks. Yes, losing weight is a bonus because I have been busting my *kitten* for over a year with hardly any result, but me feeling alive again is much more beneficial. So finding something to transition to that’s safer long term after the Phentermine will be a little tricky, but I think it’s worth it.

I was so wrong to stop tracking food. Good you will be doing it. Maybe we can support each other in the effort. I thought I would too. After over a year of tracking food, I got tired of it. Big mistake.
  • Sandythinandfit
    edited February 2018
    rhenry2424 wrote: »
    I have taken it and will never recommend it. If you want my story from it, feel free to message me (although you may have to friend me first as messages from non-friends are not going through).

I have permanent problems from taking it that started at the age of 30.

Pills are never a permanent solution for weight loss. Everyone I know that has ever done diet pills, hcg, etc have all gained it back.

Yeah, I hear you on it not being a permanent solution. It would be nice if there was a magic bullet! Do you mind telling us your story? It is awful that you still have problems. Sharing that may help some of us.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I have been on it for about 2 weeks now. I feel completely fine. no jitters, no heart racing, just a major difference in not feeling as hungry all of the time, and i eat normally. I feel NORMAL. i have a few autoimmune issues so i am very low functioning. no energy, exhausted all the time. so it's really nice to feel "normal". i don't have to force myself, i just eat breakfast, four or 5 hours later i have lunch, and repeat the timeframe with dinner. and ill have usually a piece of fruit or cheese stick or something in the middle of each meal. I am going to try to get my dr. to keep me on it for the max of 12 weeks. after that point i am going to see if they will give me something more permanent to keep me functioning because i dont want to go back to before. it was awful. i also do think that as long as you maintain the same sort of discipline after coming off, you'll be just fine. every story ive heard or read about people gaining weight back is because they didn't to ANYTHING to maintain healthy eating.

This is a contradiction.

The thing that you are going to do to maintain......is look for a permanent prescription, a permanent crutch. Because after you have lost the weight, a smaller you will require fewer calories forever.

Without a permanent prescription it will be up to you to learn how to "not feel hungry all the time." Without a permanent prescription it will be up to you to work through the "no energy, exhausted all the time" feelings.

Most people gain weight back......whether it's pills, meal replacements, or temporary elimination diets. We all have to learn new habits and keep those habits for life. It's always going to come down to behavior modification. Temporary approaches don't exactly foster that.

Not necessarily. It may be another issue entirely that causes the exhaustion, and incidentally exacerbates lower will power due to exhaustion. In my case, I have low level narcolepsy and fibromyalgia. Diagnosing and treating those helped with the brain fog and exhaustion, which has helped me regulate my eating better. The phentarmine could be having a similar effect, even though it is meant for weight loss specifically, because it does increase energy, but the long term side effects are not great. However, getting diagnosed and treated for the real reason for her specific brain fog and exhaustion issues, may help her heal enough get the energy and strength to stick with healthier choices.