Tall Ladies (5'8" and up) or anyone here to motivate!!!

Hi Everyone,

I'm Rachel (5'11", CW: 268lbs, GW: 190lbs)... Looking for friends to get started! Id like to be friends with anyone that is super engaged on myfitnesspal. And in particular, if you are a tall lady (5'8" and up) of any age. What is your CW, GW, goals in your fitness journey, etc.

I have yo-yo dieted my entire life and am actually in a place where I feel that I have broken through that vicious cycle. I feel like I've found what all of those people find that lose the weight and keep it off! Please feel free to friend me if you can relate or are looking for motivational friends that will post insights, recipes, and photos.

Replies

• JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    Hi Rachel. I'm actually in maintenance now but found great support here at MFP throughout my journey.
    5'8"
    SW 300
    CW/GW 170
    Feel free to send me a FR if maintenance friends are ok. :smile:
  • radbikerchick
    radbikerchick Posts: 39 Member
    Hi! My name is Margaret. I’m also pretty tall (almost 6’). Starting weight of my most recent weight loss was 206, CW 187, GW 160-165 range. Highest weight ever was somewhere around 355-360 when I was in high school and first year or two of undergrad. Lost all that weight when I was 19/20 yo down to about what I am right now and then over the course of the years after that was a yo-yo-er between about 190 and 240 at the highest - probably was between 200-210 on average most of the time.

Anyway, I am sure that was all very interesting, ha. I am also feeling lately like I am to a place where I may get past the yo-yo-ing. My relationship with food has been changing over the years and I also love exercise. Focusing in now on getting to my current goal weight by next Fall sometime. I always felt that there was a plateau around where I am now and it does seem to have slowed down! The first 15 lbs of the weight loss came off pretty easily this time around but now I am creeping along. Probably have to make some more changes! Maybe that means new recipes or different exercise regime...can keep u posted!
  • Bavieca
    Bavieca Posts: 32 Member
    Hey :) I'm 5'8"! SW: 215 GW: 140. I don't post all that much but I do interact with others' posts and I am very supportive! I do however plan to post a before and after, once I reach my goal. If you'd like to be friends, just shoot me a request.
  • gwenarina
    gwenarina Posts: 1 Member
    Hey, I'm 6'. Just started tracking my calories about 5 days ago. My current weight is 204; was at about 208 about 5 days ago ( I think some bloating there but was my highest weight ever). Looking to get back to about 175 or 180. Lowest I think I would want would be 165. Question: Does anyone have a good sense of what typical calories would be recommended for someone my height? I'm currently aiming for 2,190. When I tried for 2,000 in past boughts of tracking I would sometimes feel starved and I can get faint at points, so I want to be careful of that. Gonna try to eat more protein this time around, and work to eat more regularly (I am a bit ADD and often get abosrbed in what I'm doing, so I need good healthy snack food prepared so I can quickly eat and not get too low blood sugar). Anyway, if any of you have recommendations or thoughts let me know! I'm usually pretty active but a neck injury about a year ago and no swimming for about 9 months set me back. Back to swimming now though only once not twice a week. Trying to step it up to twice, but hard with physical therapy twice a week as well. But anyway, I'm working on it! :))
  • Friend request sent! I’m 5’10” and I’m pretty active on MFP. SW: 286 CW: 244 GW: 180 I workout 5-6x a week and log daily.

• jmacaroni
    jmacaroni Posts: 243 Member
    I'm 5'11. My SW was 158. CW148 and goal weight is 180. I started logging my meals on January 1st, so I'm happy with the progress so far. I have a toddler, so I want to lose the weight so I can have more energy to be active with him. I'm hoping to get under 200 within the year. I don't have time to work out right now, but once the weather gets warmer, I plan on walking more everyday.
  • Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    Hi, I’ve been on mfp for two and a half years now. I’m 51 years, 6’ tall and was my highest weight at 175 lbs after an early menopause and a change of job to more sedentary work in my mid 40s. I had always been fairly slim before that - a lifelong exerciser with a very active job. I joined mfp in 2015 to lose the weight and became very aware of the calories I was consuming plus my decreased daily activity level and hormonal changes that led to weight gain.

Plugging in my weight, height and daily activity level into mfp and then following through with the CICO plan is what led to my weight loss. Simple really. No magic this or that. CICO works, despite the menopause thing. I am now the same weight I was in my early thirties (143lbs) and I’m fitting into the same nice clothes I was wearing 18 years ago (which makes me happy). Initially it was really hard getting used to being hungry in the evenings but I learned to enjoy herbal tea and a couple of dates or nuts as a snack. I’ve been in maintenance now for a year and a half and I’m holding steady within one or two pounds. If I don’t log my food and don’t exercise then I will gain weight - guaranteed.

I eat a plant based diet. No animal products. I have an open diary. I cook everything from scratch and use the recipe builder function to log all my food. I like to cook (it’s my hobby) and I work out five days a week. I am a swimmer at heart and this is my favourite form of exercise. I swim 3400 metres (or 2.1 miles) three days a week. I also lift weights two days a week (but not “heavy” due to shoulder, wrist and back and hip issues) and I bike a lot (outside in good weather, stationary in bad weather). I do push myself.

I post quite a bit. I prefer interacting with people who also post and comment a lot, as opposed to just “likes” or crickets. If I sound like someone that you want as an mfp friend then send me a request!
  • radbikerchick
    radbikerchick Posts: 39 Member
    Hey gweneria- on you calorie tracking question I was about your height and weight when I started this time around. My initial calorie goal was somewhere around 1,900-2,000 calories I think and I was following that the first month or two. Generally got a base level of exercise riding my bike round trip to work (10 miles) a couple times a week plus rock climbing. It seemed to work and I was feeling really hungry for a couple weeks but eventually I kind of adjusted and didn’t feel hungry anymore. Right now shooting for 1,800 calories though not really making it consistently though have also taken up running. Hope that helps! I think everyone’s body is a bit different so you should try different things and see what works and is manageable.
  • ann_kristen
    ann_kristen Posts: 34 Member
    Add me if I haven't added anyone yet! My previous post went away I think? Anyway, I'm 5'8, 135 lbs, currently looking into gaining muscle while loosing body fat percentage. I have an open diary where I log all of my food. My challenge is definitely the eating the right macro's but it's a work in progress :)
  • Added you! Hi I’m nicole :)

Height: 5’10”
    cw: 145 pounds
    gw: 130 pounds

I’m trying to workout more and eat less processed foods and maintaining a plant based diet.

Anybody else is welcome to add me. :)
  • KittyInBoots17
    KittyInBoots17 Posts: 213 Member
    edited February 2018
    Hey everyone!

Height 5'8
    Starting weight in Aug 2015 - 267lbs
    Current weight as of last weigh in - 193 ish.
    Goal weight - 164.4

Last Feb I got as low as 187 but it has been a struggle since just to get back to that. I am just trying to get to 189 at the moment as a mini-goal. I eat anything as long as it's under my calorie limit. Even junk food!

I would love to add some motivating people!

Edited to add - I find one of the issues us taller gals have is looking the same within a higher pound range. Like, I can lose 10lbs and look exactly the same appearance wise, which can be frustrating. Staying motivated can be a real struggle when you don't physically see the change!

• AmyNamey87
    AmyNamey87 Posts: 4 Member
    I just started yesterday, so very new to this! My husband started a few weeks ago and has lost 13 lbs already, so he has been very encouraging of me writing everything down and watching my calories.

I'm 5'9
    starting weight 180
    goal weight 160

still holding on to baby weight and my "baby" just turned 4. After my daughter I went right back to my pre baby weight. After my son, not so much. So, here I am, finally doing something about it! Fingers crossed that this works, as I would really like to feel better about myself!
  • kaspan
    kaspan Posts: 27 Member
    edited February 2018
    Hey tall ladies! I'm 3 weeks in and 5'10". SW: 207. CW: 199. My first goal is 185, which I haven't seen sinc my first year in college about 16 years ago (jeez just saying that makes me feel ancient). I'm doing basic CICO, and trying to eat generally more healthy - lean meats, veggies, more cooking and less eating out. Also working out 5 days a week, running/walking on treadmill and started SL5x5 last week, which I'm loving so far. I've always been intimidated by weight lifting but I am working daily to break through that fear!
  • LottieHaveMercy
    LottieHaveMercy Posts: 10 Member
    Hey everyone!

Height 5'8
    Starting weight in Aug 2015 - 267lbs
    Current weight as of last weigh in - 193 ish.
    Goal weight - 164.4

Last Feb I got as low as 187 but it has been a struggle since just to get back to that. I am just trying to get to 189 at the moment as a mini-goal. I eat anything as long as it's under my calorie limit. Even junk food!

I would love to add some motivating people!

Edited to add - I find one of the issues us taller gals have is looking the same within a higher pound range. Like, I can lose 10lbs and look exactly the same appearance wise, which can be frustrating. Staying motivated can be a real struggle when you don't physically see the change!

This...all day! It seems so slow!
  • ashleyrebekah392
    ashleyrebekah392 Posts: 50 Member
    I'm 5' 10" CW 185 GW 160-165, I just wanna be a strong woman, wanna be able to run 1 mile easily at some point, just be healthy in general, I want to be a good role model for my daughter and family, my parents are currently very overweight and I'm hoping with me on this fitness journey it will motivate them to get healthy.
  • TheMothership71
    TheMothership71 Posts: 29 Member
    I’m 6’1” and still have 60 pounds to go. I have an extra challenge at this time of needing foot surgery so I can’t exercise much. Could always use more support/friends. Tall ones are just a bonus
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    5'8" currently at 170. I'm happy with where I am but know I could lose another 10lbs. I'm not going to stress over that 10lbs though. I'm very active on MFP and post and log (mostly workouts) every day.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Amber here, 5''81/2', 41 years old, CW 158, GW 135, I have two little ones under two and I just started running again. Add me. I am going to be on here daily and was on here religiously in the past.
  • Juul813
    Juul813 Posts: 2 Member
    Juliana here! I'm 180cm / 5'11, starting weight is 123 kilos / 271lbs, goal weight is 77kg / 170 lb. I grew up fat or overweight but i lost a lot of weight when i was 17 / 18 but gained it all back after being in hospital with a stomach issue. Finally i'm somewhat able to sort myself out and I'm turning 24 this year and graduating in May and really wanna not feel like *kitten* anymore, so i hope we can support each other! I've sent a friend request :-)
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    I'm 6'2" feel free to add me!!! My starting weight was about 215. I honestly don't really have a goal weight, maybe 190 to start with. I have been working on losing fat & gaining muscle & increasing endurance. I just really struggle with food! So I have made some progress, but I'm at about 208 still. Plus I'm getting married in less than 4 months so I would love to be more serious about this!