Best nut butter and brand for weight loss?

Best nut butter and brand for weight loss?

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Not sure about for weight loss, but I buy almond butter at a store where you actually grind the almonds. Yummy. Can totally control what you
    Add.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Any. Just try to avoid ones with added sugar and added oils if you are looking to reduce the calorie count of your nut butter. Otherwise I dont think it matters. I think they're all pretty similar nutritionally. Peanut butter is the cheapest since it's more abundant in supply.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    what nut butter you eat and what brand it is has nothing to do with losing weight...

you lose weight by consuming fewer calories than you require to maintain weight...

most actual nut butters outside of alternatives like PB2 are calorie dense because they are a great source of healthy dietary fat.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    I recently bought a delicious cookie butter from Trader Joe's. Does that count?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    Nut butter doesn't do or not do anything for weight loss any more than any other food does. Brands certainly don't impact weight loss, though I avoid ones with added sugar and oil.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    What is it that you'd like to debate about nut butter?

There's no food that is good for weight loss. If you'd like to lose weight, create a calorie deficit. The type of nut butter itself makes no difference, it's the calories that do.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    All nut butters are high calorie so should be carefully controlled as to not go over in calories.

My best answer is “weighed first and spread thinly”.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Bearing in mind how calorie dense and hyper-palatable they are I would say the answer to....

"Best nut butter and brand for weight loss?" - is the one you dislike and therefore don't eat.

For me that would be cashew nut butter, bearing in mind how much I enjoy cashews it was disappointingly bland and unappealing.

I didn't enjoy cashew either! I also tried a mixed nut one that was a nope. I think it has to be peanut for me.

Also, are the weight loss benefits negated if I am unable to get the "best" one because the one suggested is an American product and I'm in the UK? Oh the conundrums.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Bearing in mind how calorie dense and hyper-palatable they are I would say the answer to....

"Best nut butter and brand for weight loss?" - is the one you dislike and therefore don't eat.

For me that would be cashew nut butter, bearing in mind how much I enjoy cashews it was disappointingly bland and unappealing.

I didn't enjoy cashew either! I also tried a mixed nut one that was a nope. I think it has to be peanut for me.

Also, are the weight loss benefits negated if I am unable to get the "best" one because the one suggested is an American product and I'm in the UK? Oh the conundrums.

@VintageFeline

Do you like 100% peanut varieties? The Protein Works do one, in a huge tub (oh the temptation!).

You can get American brands in Selfridges food hall if you are desperate. :smiley:
  • VintageFeline

@VintageFeline

Do you like 100% peanut varieties? The Protein Works do one, in a huge tub (oh the temptation!).

You can get American brands in Selfridges food hall if you are desperate. :smiley:

My favoured one is actually just a generic supermarket one. Or Whole Earth if I'm feeling fancy. I don't get through enough to buy big tubs and actually can't remember when I last ate any.........
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Where did you get the impression that one type or brand of nut butter might be better for weight loss than another?
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Guys.... the real debate is CHUNKY or CREAMY?

I'm on team chunky here.
  • VintageFeline
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Guys.... the real debate is CHUNKY or CREAMY?

I'm on team chunky here.

Smooth. A proper serving feels less sad that way. On toast at least.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I like alternatives to peanut better than peanut -- current favorite is walnut, also enjoy almond and cashew, but most of the time I like nuts better than nut butter.

None are better or worse for weight loss.

If you want to avoid added ingredients, read the labels or make it yourself with a food processor.
  • VintageFeline
    Walnut butter? That sounds like the Devil's work and not in a good way. Never got on with walnuts. Though I do like a Walnut Whip........
  • slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Reminds me of my sister who claims she doesn’t eat a lot and can’t loose any weight, and when you press her on what she eats, you pry out of her that she’s eating almond butter and doesn’t think the little she eats matters cause how could a couple of tablespoons of that mean anything
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    The kind that has ACV in it. Duh.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Try making your own, in a food processor, with a little oil. That way you can control what you like, keep cost down, control what goes in it and control the portion.