Do you plan on counting calories your whole life in order to maintain?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I've been more lax about counting. I still count, but I (too often) tend to go over my calories. Guess what - gained back 15 lbs. But I like dessert, and that can make a 300-400 calorie difference in my days. If I don't make up for it somewhat, I'll be over every single time.

On days when I restrict myself, obviously, I wouldn't have to count calories to stay under.
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    I'm still losing, so I can't say for sure, but I'm prepared to keep counting. I'm on a medication that causes weight gain, so I have to be very careful or I'll gain back all that I've lost.
  • AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    I'm far from maintenance yet but I can't imagine I'll ever stop logging completely. I hope after a while I may be able to relax a bit, just logging every now and then to make sure I'm not letting bad habits creep back in. Also, if I have something I don't normally eat I would make sure to log that.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited February 2018
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    IMO, it's a teaching tool...kinda like training wheels. Eventually you just learn to ride...

Agreed.
    For some it takes longer, some reach this goal faster ... but the goal has to be to get rid of this tool.

I personally don't believe that. The goal of learning the multiplication table and long division is to be able to do certain calculations. The goal is to do these calculations, not to get rid of calculators. It's easy to pull out a calculator, but if it's not available you can do the math in your head. Same with calorie counting. The goal is not to eat at a surplus. If someone chooses logging as a tool to achieve that, they're in no way better or worse than someone who chooses eating patterns to achieve that, and some may choose to go for both. I have been logging coming up on 6 years now. My goal is not to stop logging, but to continue controlling my eating, calorie counting or not. What someone finds sustainable varies from person to person.

Agreed. I am also a recovering hedonistic/binge eater, so it makes sense for me to count. I just have in the last 2 years learned what a portion is. I started with pen and paper and upgraded to MFP. MFP makes life #ell of a lot easier. I don't freak as much if I don't have my phone anymore. I estimate what I have, and give myself an overage when I do get to log.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    just curious

Pretty much "Yes".
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    I I have been maintaining for close to 8 years, and I weigh and log home made meals but I am not very strict with it. I mostly do it to keep track of my macros. Sometimes I don't log meals until the end of the day and I keep the information of what ever I ate in my head ;) . For recipes, I write everything down in a piece of paper and I enter the information in the database when I have the time.

I take breaks from the kitchen scale and logging when I go on vacation (short or long), during the holidays, and sometimes during the weekend when I eat out or at a friend's house. But I do weigh myself several times a week and that helps me to keep my weight under control.

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    After I maintain for 2 solid years (it’s been 18 months), I plan to stop logging. I’ll weigh myself every day, and log as needed if (and when) I go over my range.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Most likely. I am lousy with portion control, and logging helps me not forget what I have eaten. I don't mind doing it. It's just a part of my life now, like early morning exercise sessions. :)