Do you plan on counting calories your whole life in order to maintain?

Replies

• W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2018
    mph323 wrote: »
    W8WarI wrote: »
    Interesting. It seems almost like some folks think counting calories forever is a bad thing and something to try to wean off of? What harm is there in it? I can see being a little less strict about it but if it works where is the negative? Unless of course you just hate using MFP to log.

I am guessing because it isn't natural, to do especially upon; a regular basis!

Please define "natural". Do you find the use of tools in general not natural?

Specific 1's yes, such as; a food scale & gym equipment! Once these tools didn't exist, to ensure that we maintained; an ideal weight/strong physique but yet, we did!
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2018
    Interesting. It seems almost like some folks think counting calories forever is a bad thing and something to try to wean off of? What harm is there in it? I can see being a little less strict about it but if it works where is the negative? Unless of course you just hate using MFP to log.

I am guessing because it isn't natural, to do especially upon; a regular basis!

Please define "natural". Do you find the use of tools in general not natural?

Specific 1's yes, such as; a food scale & gym equipment! Once these tools didn't exist, to ensure that we maintained; an ideal weight/strong physique but yet, we did!

How do you feel about cars? At one time we all stayed fit and healthy walking everywhere we had to go.

Some of us still do, at least; for the most part! However not everything necessary's within, what's considered; to be walking distance!

I believe that you're mistaking, my comparison; as me being against modernization! If that were so then it'd be quite hypocritical of me, to be using MFP; when instead figuring my CICO's also plausible without MFP!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    I will never 'unlearn' all the numbers I've seen and worked with in the past 5 years. I know I'll have periods where I log, sometimes I'll weigh my foods, sometimes I'll just eyeball and log, sometimes I wont log, but I will always keep a mental tally in my head cause I dont think I'll ever not care about what I'm eating again.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    @AnnPT77 , don't be so sure. The way Aubrey de Grey talks about it, you may have a few more healthy years ahead than behind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6ARUQ5LoUo
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    vaguely. Won't always be super close. Right now I am 'spitballing' everything while doing a slow bulk and it is going as planned. I am pretty good at maintaining without logging because I've memorized the calories of so many things.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    I don't know...I don't want to, but I may have to. I find it a bit stressful, to be honest, but I think it's the only reasonable way forward for me since my hunger cues are so inconsistent.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    sofchak wrote: »
    I am in the process of transitioning from calorie counting to mindful eating.... going to try it for a few months to see what happens.

I'm doing this as well. I'm going to continue to track my weight in the libra app to make sure my trend stays within my maintenance weight limits.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Yes. I find it freeing to be able to keep track of my exercise and calories. I gained weight for many reasons, but one of the BIG ones was that I did not weigh myself for over 10 years. I plan to weigh weekly and log/track for the rest of my life. I'm 52, so I lived most of my life without it, but I don't want to go back to being 100 lbs. overweight.
  • fitand50inSD
    fitand50inSD Posts: 166 Member
    edited February 2018
    I weigh daily and track my exercise, but rarely track my food. I eat the same food fairly consistently so I generally know about how many calories I eat. If I start to get to the high end of my 5 lb maintenance range I eat in a deficit for a few days to get back to the lower to mid-range. I generally stay within about a 2 lb range without much effort (although I rarely have a day that I would call over eating). I have been in maintenance for 8 months after losing 20 lbs in 3 months.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Regarding what's natural and unnatural--it's pretty unnatural to have as much food and the types of food we have available to us 24/7 (think 2 dozen Krispy Kreme donuts). In order to deal with that fact and and the natural tendency we were born with to eat what we can when we can, I think using an "unnatural " tool such as mfp to control ourselves is warranted. For me, anyway.

Yes, my thoughts exactly! I was starting to type this idea but you beat me to it :)
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    @BeccaLoves2lift - cheers to success for both of us! I have the same strategy to weigh daily and track the trend.

We will see how the process progresses...