Does freezing/refreezing bagels or bread change/affect it's weight?

alexastoutxo
alexastoutxo Posts: 139 Member
edited February 2018 in Food and Nutrition
So I recently got a couple of bags of bagels and decided to freeze them since I don't go through them quickly enough for them to stay fresh but I took out three of them to have thaw out but ended up not eating them at all so I put them back in the freezer (I know that's not recommended but I did it anyways)
I am one to weigh out my bread and bagels because ive noticed the grams are always off by 10 or more so I like to make sure it's alittle more accurate with the serving size. Will freezing and regressing mess or affect with the actually weight though? The serving size is 1 bagel (57grams) will it stay that way regardless of freezing it, thawing it out and refreezing it?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    It should be the same.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    Freezing can dehydrate foods, so refreezing might make them a little lighter.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    It may weigh lighter so stick to the packet as the calories per hydrated gram would stay the same had you not frozen them.
  • alexastoutxo
    It may weigh lighter so stick to the packet as the calories per hydrated gram would stay the same had you not frozen them.

Dang that's a bummer. Anyway I can be close to accurate even though it won't be fully?
  • alexastoutxo
    Freezing can dehydrate foods, so refreezing might make them a little lighter.

So is there anyway I could be close toaccurate with it? Even though it may not be fully?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    All that will have come out of it with dehydration is water, so the calories for one bagel won't have changed, despite it being lighter.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    You could weigh them before you freeze them, then jot the average weight on the bag, so you'll know what the weight was before any dehydration (although I wonder how much dehydration there could be before it would start affecting the flavor -- i.e., making it taste stale).
  • alexastoutxo
    All that will have come out of it with dehydration is water, so the calories for one bagel won't have changed, despite it being lighter.

I know the calories wouldn't change but what I'm asking is since I froze them when they were 57 grams, will they still be 57 grams when I take them out of the freezer and thaw it out? 57grams frozen and 57grams thawed out?
  • alexastoutxo
    You could weigh them before you freeze them, then jot the average weight on the bag, so you'll know what the weight was before any dehydration (although I wonder how much dehydration there could be before it would start affecting the flavor -- i.e., making it taste stale).

I thought the weight per gram (57 grams) would stay the same even when frozen and then thawed out. They were 57 before I froze them but I was hoping they would stay that way when I thawed them out
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    When I freeze and then thaw my sliced bread, it gets lighter by about 1 gram per slice. Nothing to worry too much about. If you really want to know just for kicks, weigh a frozen bagel, let it thaw, and weigh it again.
  • becgraceevemaggie
    becgraceevemaggie Posts: 26 Member
    It really depends on how long you are freezing them for. Freezing will draw out water over time so the longer your bagels are frozen the less they will weigh over time. But this will be nominal so don't worry and as others suggest if it really bothers you weigh prior to freezing. The average will be fine though. Good luck.