What I have learned from the Message Boards...

LW3380
LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
edited February 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi Everyone,

Last week was the first time I’ve properly read through the messages boards after being on MFP for a few weeks and they are great!

Not only do you excellent advice and encouragement but its great entertainment too…I’m amazed at some of the things people ask/do/believe regarding losing weight.

I’m very much a “Cals in – Cals out, eat what makes you happy within your calorie allowance” kind of person (even my BF is starting to come round to the idea) but last week I’ve learned;
  • Leaky Gut Syndrome (or words to that effect, eh?),
  • The SHOUTY man (made me giggle),
  • Exercise wraps (sounds sweaty and smelly!),
  • Good (Healthy) Food v’s Bad Food and those who eat “healthy” food they don’t particularly like (life is too short!),
  • Folks who have freaked after eating a ton of pasta and can NOT understand why the scales have went up later that day,
  • The amount of different diets, Keto, Paleo, Slimfast, WW, Slimming World…,
  • Some people weigh themselves every single day,
  • Not eating and ignoring hunger pangs is called Intermittent Fasting
  • The massive grudge against carbs (starting to feel sorry for them!)
I’m loving all these issues and topic being brought up…keep them coming folks and all the best with reaching your goals! :)

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I have learned that some people still dont know Google is their best friend.

But can also be their worst enemy depending on what they are googling. Ever googled your symptoms? :lol:

Here here! I would have died a dozen times by now.

The thing about learning on these forums is that I have to always remember that I don't know what I don't know, but... I have to be a healthy skeptic most of the time when claims seem to be either non-scientific or not logical. Of course that doesn't disqualify a claim, it just means I have to dig a little deeper before taking a claim seriously.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Weighing daily is actually a very good idea provided that (key point) the individual doens't get too discouraged by the results.

The general idea is to take all of those weigh-ins and average them so you can establish a weekly average, and then you can compare the trend rather than the day to day variances.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    The forum is a great place to hang out :smile:
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    LW3380 wrote: »
    [*] Some people weigh themselves every single day,

Absolutely!

Quite a few of us do. Great way to become aware of your fluctuations and learn what causes them. :)

I to weigh myself every single day, first thing in the morning. And I enter my weight on my Libra app and also into Fitbit. I only log it on MyFitnessPal once a week every Monday morning.

I log it daily on Fitbit though because I have another app called achievement that Awards points for every time I do a fitness related activities such as weighing in, logging food and water Etc and when I get 10000 points they will send me ten bucks. LOL.

I don't do it every day on MyFitnessPal because I just don't want it showing up in my newsfeed that I lost .2 lbs I lost .3 pounds I lost .4 lb everyday.
  • LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    You should also add to the list that the correct answer to anyone's question is concern about them having an eating disorder.

Yeah there was one person who said she had an addiction to food (like cigarettes) but when others offered advice and tried to probe a bit deeper it wasn't as bad as that, then we discovered it might be a wheat intolerance...confusing!

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    i think all of those things were in one thread :laugh:

If only that were true... lol

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I learned that although 99% of folks on here have no biology background, everyone's an expert! From the effects of diet drinks to the usefulness of Keto, someone's always a know it all, even though they are more experienced in changing tires or cleaning houses (and I am not saying there is anything wrong with that, just it far from qualifies you to provide the definitive answer on medial advice from some website you read while clicking on links of celebrities who used to be hot). So just watch what advice you take!

The way I see it if the weight loss advice involves taking a pill, cutting out a food group or having to purchase a shake/powder/supplement then I tend to give it a body swerve.

Someone in one of my Facebook groups that I belong to invited me to a fitness challenge last week. She said it would take commitment... Well duh. But I asked her please let me know what this commitment is before I say I'm going to take part. So she sent me the requirements.

First thing was a list of foods that I could not eat or drink... Including... Alcohol, processed foods, food with added sugar... That's as far as I got and I wrote back and said nope. No thanks. I don't torture myself that way.

Then she said... But it's just a detox for 21 days to jumpstart your weight loss. And I said I don't need a jumpstart I've already lost nearly 17 pounds since Christmas eating all that crap they told me I had to cut out. No thanks LOL

That bull puckey spreads like wildfire on Facebook! She's probably just trying to share the misery :lol:
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I learned that although 99% of folks on here have no biology background, everyone's an expert! From the effects of diet drinks to the usefulness of Keto, someone's always a know it all, even though they are more experienced in changing tires or cleaning houses (and I am not saying there is anything wrong with that, just it far from qualifies you to provide the definitive answer on medial advice from some website you read while clicking on links of celebrities who used to be hot). So just watch what advice you take!

The way I see it if the weight loss advice involves taking a pill, cutting out a food group or having to purchase a shake/powder/supplement then I tend to give it a body swerve.

Someone in one of my Facebook groups that I belong to invited me to a fitness challenge last week. She said it would take commitment... Well duh. But I asked her please let me know what this commitment is before I say I'm going to take part. So she sent me the requirements.

First thing was a list of foods that I could not eat or drink... Including... Alcohol, processed foods, food with added sugar... That's as far as I got and I wrote back and said nope. No thanks. I don't torture myself that way.

Then she said... But it's just a detox for 21 days to jumpstart your weight loss. And I said I don't need a jumpstart I've already lost nearly 17 pounds since Christmas eating all that crap they told me I had to cut out. No thanks LOL

That bull puckey spreads like wildfire on Facebook! She's probably just trying to share the misery :lol:

or preparing to sell you something
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    She did give me a disclaimer that she wasn't trying to sell me something but I have a feeling she is recruiting for the person who started the challenge.