Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

which is the best diet for overall health and weight loss

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I refuse to even buy anything with the word 'paleo' on it. Is anyone surprised? :D

To be fair though, Palaeolithic peoples did use processing equipment, to *shock horror* make flour :o . Presumably for the pancakes...

Trust me, it was a debate, but the "gluten free" label on it was the big draw for me. I just blithely ignored the big font on the paleo bit. So they're almond flour, cassava flour, coconut flour (there might be some tapioca starch in there, I don't remember). Just normal gluten free stuff that they slapped a paleo label on.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I refuse to even buy anything with the word 'paleo' on it. Is anyone surprised? :D

To be fair though, Palaeolithic peoples did use processing equipment, to *shock horror* make flour :o . Presumably for the pancakes...

Almonds, coconut, cassava. Seems legit. I'm sure all paleolithic people had access to those ingredients in their locations around the world.........oh and they totally avoided grains, that flour was made from almonds. Right?

Well, if you didn't mind dying, sure you could use almonds (undomesticated almond kernels are wicked high in arsenic, someone obviously worked out how to deal with that somewhere along the line, or the trees never would have been cultivated, not sure when or where that happened, no time to check!). But no, that flour was the real deal, delicious, evil grainy things. Oats at c. 32KYA (thousand years ago), evidence for sorghum dates back to 105KYA.

Here's a nice wee article from Nature on some of the ones dating to around the 30KYA mark. I particularly like the last line of the second to last paragraph...http://www.nature.com/news/2010/101018/full/news.2010.549.html

Hey! Oats and sorghum are gluten free. Huzzah!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Too each is own when it comes to diets but intermittent fasting is a great kick start to a healthy lifestyle.

Intermittent fasting isn't a diet, it's an eating pattern. And there's nothing magical about it other than the fact that it helps some people adhere to their calorie goals more easily and provides higher satiety. For some people.

I know it's not a diet, hence why I wrote 'lifestyle', I was just putting it out there what works for me...Btw, there is a science behind 'IF'; it actually promotes autophagy, benefits, the liver, gall bladder, adrenals--especially weight-loss etc...All that can lead to a healthy body, diet and overall lifestyle. Do your research, and I say that respectfully.

Mildly only - the real benefits for increased autophagy are not seen until the fasting state reaches 24-48 hours. And all of the studies that I could find were either on mice or flies, so take those results with a grain of salt as well...

If I had a dollar for every time we have to tell people we aren't mice...

Someone please tell me that we aren't going to have to start telling people that we aren't flies. I'm scared :fearful:

That fly life tho.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Too each is own when it comes to diets but intermittent fasting is a great kick start to a healthy lifestyle.

Intermittent fasting isn't a diet, it's an eating pattern. And there's nothing magical about it other than the fact that it helps some people adhere to their calorie goals more easily and provides higher satiety. For some people.

I know it's not a diet, hence why I wrote 'lifestyle', I was just putting it out there what works for me...Btw, there is a science behind 'IF'; it actually promotes autophagy, benefits, the liver, gall bladder, adrenals--especially weight-loss etc...All that can lead to a healthy body, diet and overall lifestyle. Do your research, and I say that respectfully.

Mildly only - the real benefits for increased autophagy are not seen until the fasting state reaches 24-48 hours. And all of the studies that I could find were either on mice or flies, so take those results with a grain of salt as well...

Someone please tell me that we aren't going to have to start telling people that we aren't flies. I'm scared :fearful:

That fly life tho.

Nah, that's just flying in the face of common sense...
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited February 2018
    mph323 wrote: »

That fly life tho.

Nah, that's just flying in the face of common sense...

I got distracted and this whole thing flew past me!

That fly life tho.

That does sound pretty awesome!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    RAinWA wrote: »

I think I actually saw someone post a link to a worm study. I'm pretty sure it was related to IF but I could be remembering wrong.

This made me laugh harder than it should have. :laugh:
  • AnvilHead
    RAinWA wrote: »

I wish I could find the graphic showing what happens from the publication of a study until the time the media twists it around and presents the "results" to the public.
  • AnvilHead
    ^ That's the one, describes it perfectly. Thanks!
  • tramaine_21
    tramaine_21 Posts: 348 Member
    All this because I mentioned 'IF'....Everyone's a critic. Moving on....
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member

What you're saying is actually flawed, there is science that goes beyond mice, flies that shows substantial benefits from 'IF'....It's out there, it's factual. I'm not going to go back and forth. I just wanted to mention what IF has done for me--that's all. Moving on....Moving ON!!!!!!! :wink:

The only person I have seen trying to promote all these extra advantages to IF is Fung and you can look up-thread for several descriptions of him.