What I have learned from the Message Boards...

2»

Replies

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    She did give me a disclaimer that she wasn't trying to sell me something but I have a feeling she is recruiting for the person who started the challenge.

Just the word "detox" would have me running the opposite direction! Nope.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    LW3380 wrote: »
    I learned that although 99% of folks on here have no biology background, everyone's an expert! From the effects of diet drinks to the usefulness of Keto, someone's always a know it all, even though they are more experienced in changing tires or cleaning houses (and I am not saying there is anything wrong with that, just it far from qualifies you to provide the definitive answer on medial advice from some website you read while clicking on links of celebrities who used to be hot). So just watch what advice you take!

The way I see it if the weight loss advice involves taking a pill, cutting out a food group or having to purchase a shake/powder/supplement then I tend to give it a body swerve.

Someone in one of my Facebook groups that I belong to invited me to a fitness challenge last week. She said it would take commitment... Well duh. But I asked her please let me know what this commitment is before I say I'm going to take part. So she sent me the requirements.

First thing was a list of foods that I could not eat or drink... Including... Alcohol, processed foods, food with added sugar... That's as far as I got and I wrote back and said nope. No thanks. I don't torture myself that way.

Then she said... But it's just a detox for 21 days to jumpstart your weight loss. And I said I don't need a jumpstart I've already lost nearly 17 pounds since Christmas eating all that crap they told me I had to cut out. No thanks LOL

That bull puckey spreads like wildfire on Facebook! She's probably just trying to share the misery :lol:

or preparing to sell you something

Reminds me of the time I ran into a relative I hadn't seen in quite some time while out shopping. The next day, lo and behold I have message from her on FB trying to sell me Rodan and Fields. FB has become one big MLM and woo-spreading platform.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    She did give me a disclaimer that she wasn't trying to sell me something but I have a feeling she is recruiting for the person who started the challenge.

Just the word "detox" would have me running the opposite direction! Nope.

Yeah the word detox didn't come up until I wrote back and told her no thanks... Had she said detox in the beginning I would have said no without having to see what the plan was lol
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I learned that although 99% of folks on here have no biology background, everyone's an expert! From the effects of diet drinks to the usefulness of Keto, someone's always a know it all, even though they are more experienced in changing tires or cleaning houses (and I am not saying there is anything wrong with that, just it far from qualifies you to provide the definitive answer on medial advice from some website you read while clicking on links of celebrities who used to be hot). So just watch what advice you take!

The way I see it if the weight loss advice involves taking a pill, cutting out a food group or having to purchase a shake/powder/supplement then I tend to give it a body swerve.

Someone in one of my Facebook groups that I belong to invited me to a fitness challenge last week. She said it would take commitment... Well duh. But I asked her please let me know what this commitment is before I say I'm going to take part. So she sent me the requirements.

First thing was a list of foods that I could not eat or drink... Including... Alcohol, processed foods, food with added sugar... That's as far as I got and I wrote back and said nope. No thanks. I don't torture myself that way.

Then she said... But it's just a detox for 21 days to jumpstart your weight loss. And I said I don't need a jumpstart I've already lost nearly 17 pounds since Christmas eating all that crap they told me I had to cut out. No thanks LOL

That bull puckey spreads like wildfire on Facebook! She's probably just trying to share the misery :lol:

Reminds me of the time I ran into a relative I hadn't seen in quite some time while out shopping. The next day, lo and behold I have message from her on FB trying to sell me Rodan and Fields. FB has become one big MLM and woo-spreading platform.

I wonder what would happen if all the real people left FB and all that was left were MLM sales people. Would they create a barter system for their products to trade back and forth with each other?

:laugh: It's an amusing thought. I've never understood how anyone could think and MLM was a sustainable model anyway. If you are constantly recruiting more and more people from your social group to peddle *kitten*, won't you all just be cannibalizing the same pool of suckers...er, I mean 'customers'?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member

It's the pink drink, I know it.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    edited February 2018

I wonder what would happen if all the real people left FB and all that was left were MLM sales people. Would they create a barter system for their products to trade back and forth with each other?

:laugh: It's an amusing thought. I've never understood how anyone could think and MLM was a sustainable model anyway. If you are constantly recruiting more and more people from your social group to peddle *kitten*, won't you all just be cannibalizing the same pool of suckers...er, I mean 'customers'?

Sadly not, most of them you can sell without ever meeting people now.

I am an Avon rep, the only reason I have kept it up is because I like the products and I now live in a country where it's no longer sold so I an in a unique position to sell enough of it to justify couriering my own order over. Back in the UK there are practically 3 reps on every street, but they can now sell online within the UK without ever having to see or speak to their customers, so if you have a different set of online friends/followers to your "team" it's pretty easy to still make money. Add to that a vulnerable group of people who are desperate to lose weight but haven't yet realised CI<CO is all you need to be doing.... well the rest is history
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Hi Everyone,

Last week was the first time I’ve properly read through the messages boards after being on MFP for a few weeks and they are great!

Not only do you excellent advice and encouragement but its great entertainment too…I’m amazed at some of the things people ask/do/believe regarding losing weight.

I’m very much a “Cals in – Cals out, eat what makes you happy within your calorie allowance” kind of person (even my BF is starting to come round to the idea) but last week I’ve learned;
    • Leaky Gut Syndrome (or words to that effect, eh?),
    • The SHOUTY man (made me giggle),
    • Exercise wraps (sounds sweaty and smelly!),
    • Good (Healthy) Food v’s Bad Food and those who eat “healthy” food they don’t particularly like (life is too short!),
    • Folks who have freaked after eating a ton of pasta and can NOT understand why the scales have went up later that day,
    • The amount of different diets, Keto, Paleo, Slimfast, WW, Slimming World…,
    • Some people weigh themselves every single day,
    • Not eating and ignoring hunger pangs is called Intermittent Fasting
    • The massive grudge against carbs (starting to feel sorry for them!)
    I’m loving all these issues and topic being brought up…keep them coming folks and all the best with reaching your goals! :)

i think all of those things were in one thread :laugh:

I think it was more like 3, but in all fairness, they all start to run together after a while... ;)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member

It's the pink drink, I know it.

Either that, or FitSticks which is very similar to the pink Drink
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Hi Everyone,

Last week was the first time I’ve properly read through the messages boards after being on MFP for a few weeks and they are great!

Not only do you excellent advice and encouragement but its great entertainment too…I’m amazed at some of the things people ask/do/believe regarding losing weight.

I’m loving all these issues and topic being brought up…keep them coming folks and all the best with reaching your goals! :)

Just wanted to say I appreciate your post, OP. As a poster on one of the threads you mentioned where I felt like I was banging my head against the wall, it's encouraging to hear that *someone* benefits from the efforts others make to share what they have learned. :)
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    I love these forums. It's a great education into weight loss and completely free. :) The support and encouragement from everyone is also amazing and really motivating. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member

If only that were true... lol

Clearly, you missed the "Unpopular Opinions" thread in the Debate forum. Pretty sure it was aaaaallllllll in there, most of it 2 or 3 times, because no one ever reads a whole thread, especially not a 358-page one. ;)

OP, how did you miss ACV and "cleanses"?
  • LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If only that were true... lol

Clearly, you missed the "Unpopular Opinions" thread in the Debate forum. Pretty sure it was aaaaallllllll in there, most of it 2 or 3 times, because no one ever reads a whole thread, especially not a 358-page one. ;)

OP, how did you miss ACV and "cleanses"?

Sometimes I need to take a break from reading them as I think I might post a reply and end up getting kicked off! Detoxing is another one that grates on me..."drink this magical brew and all badness will melt away" erm only if it comes with a chocolate biscuit!