No more diet clubs!

So I’m 42 years of age and I can safely say I’ve been jumping between Weightwatchers and slimming world for best part of 22 years.
Am I any closer to goal? AM I ECK!
So I downloaded this app awhile ago now and never properly used it.
Well as of today I’m hoping this app is going to help regarding nutrition, portion control and basically get me healthy again.
So no more diet clubs!
I have been reading a lot of posts on here and you could say that’s what has pushed me to give this a go.
I also find that I binge a lot when I go to a class.
If I don’t lose I binge or don’t turn up to class and then spiral into hating myself and binging more and also I don’t eat the day before weigh in and also overdo it on weigh day, thinking it doesn’t count.
So you can see, I don’t have a healthy way around food.
Well today is day 1 :-) and looking forward to where this is going to take me.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    I think so many people are stuck in the same circle with them too, welcome back to MFP where you can discover it's far more simple to lose weight than you first thought.

If you haven't already check out the Helpful posts pinned at the top of the Getting Started and the General Diet boards, there is a wealth of useful info there.
  • lisabobczuk
    lisabobczuk Posts: 115 Member
    I think so many people are stuck in the same circle with them too, welcome back to MFP where you can discover it's far more simple to lose weight than you first thought.

If you haven't already check out the Helpful posts pinned at the top of the Getting Started and the General Diet boards, there is a wealth of useful info there.

Hi :-)
    I will take a look at them.
    Thankyou :-)
  • ClaireDenise30
    ClaireDenise30 Posts: 26 Member
    Hi, I'm in the same boat. I've always done either WW or SW and have decided no more. I know people that have done really well with MFP and just good old fashioned calorie counting so I'm going to give it ago. Good luck with your weight loss journey.
  • lisabobczuk
    Ipmummy wrote: »
    Hi, I'm in the same boat. I've always done either WW or SW and have decided no more. I know people that have done really well with MFP and just good old fashioned calorie counting so I'm going to give it ago. Good luck with your weight loss journey.

First of all, good luck to you also and well done from breaking free from those blooming clubs!

There was a teacher at my daughters school and she had lost loads of weight.
    I asked her how she did it and it was this site.

So that is why I looked this up and thought, why not give it a go :-)
  • katlyngronwoldt85
    katlyngronwoldt85 Posts: 49 Member
    Good Morning! I would like to say that I definitely believe you have made the right choice in coming here. I LOVE MFP and it has been the only thing that has worked for me so far. I am not on any "diet" I eat healthy and treat myself here and there staying under my daily calorie goal. This really takes the guess work out of everything. My one suggestion is to weigh EVERYTHING. It took me a couple days to get used to doing that, but it really makes a difference. I usually find that I am not eating enough!!!! Good luck to you and I am certain if you stick to this you will lose!
  • lisabobczuk
    Good Morning! I would like to say that I definitely believe you have made the right choice in coming here. I LOVE MFP and it has been the only thing that has worked for me so far. I am not on any "diet" I eat healthy and treat myself here and there staying under my daily calorie goal. This really takes the guess work out of everything. My one suggestion is to weigh EVERYTHING. It took me a couple days to get used to doing that, but it really makes a difference. I usually find that I am not eating enough!!!! Good luck to you and I am certain if you stick to this you will lose!

First of all, hi and Thankyou for messaging me!

How long have you been doing this?

It’s gives me hope that it works when I hear people’s stories on this.

I’m going to give this a really good go and it might sound really silly! But I feel free if that makes sense! :-)
  • liannebaker17
    liannebaker17 Posts: 54 Member
    Hi I have been a member of slimming world for almost 2 years and have lost 5 stone 4lbs so far.BUT I am bored of the plan and all the meal prep that comes with it.
    I’ve asked my group if they have done calorie counting along side the plan and have received shity messages from my leader
  • lisabobczuk
    Hi I have been a member of slimming world for almost 2 years and have lost 5 stone 4lbs so far.BUT I am bored of the plan and all the meal prep that comes with it.
    I’ve asked my group if they have done calorie counting along side the plan and have received shity messages from my leader

First of all hi :-) and huge well done on your loss! That’s incredible!

I’m not surprised your leader was *kitten* lol, I suppose end of day it’s a business and she won’t want to lose members by saying how good this is.

I just found both clubs quite restricting and they didn’t really teach nutrition.

Weightwatchers I was hungry and slimming world I binged :-(

I felt I wanted to be free and make my own choices. :-)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Perhaps talk therapy would help?
  • lisabobczuk
    Perhaps talk therapy would help?

You may have a point there!

Not going into my whole life ;-/ but I did have an ex that called me a pig and fat etc.

So that hasn’t helped!
  • Bubbaistrying
    Bubbaistrying Posts: 454 Member
    MFP really works. Just log everything you put in your mouth and you will lose weight.
  • Mrs_P_6817
    Mrs_P_6817 Posts: 23 Member
    I’m also an ex SW member. It is part of the reason I have an unhealthy relationship with food as I believed that I could gorge on the ‘free food’, when actually I need portion control to stop me from being a pig.

Today is day 9 for me and I’m already 4lbs down. Im sometimes struggling to hit my calorie count, but hand on heart can say I’m never hungry as I’m making food choices that fill me up rather than having empty calories. I’m also weighing everything so I’m logging accurately. I’m also back at the gym regularly.

Good luck with your weight loss. You can do this x
  • lisabobczuk
    Mrs_P_6817 wrote: »
    I’m also an ex SW member. It is part of the reason I have an unhealthy relationship with food as I believed that I could gorge on the ‘free food’, when actually I need portion control to stop me from being a pig.

Today is day 9 for me and I’m already 4lbs down. Im sometimes struggling to hit my calorie count, but hand on heart can say I’m never hungry as I’m making food choices that fill me up rather than having empty calories. I’m also weighing everything so I’m logging accurately. I’m also back at the gym regularly.

I felt exactly like you! I, just couldn't stop eating and felt I could eat loads!

Blimey that is a fab loss in only 9 days! I hope I have as much success as you.

Good luck on your journey :-)
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    If I don’t lose I binge or don’t turn up to class and then spiral into hating myself and binging more and also I don’t eat the day before weigh in and also overdo it on weigh day, thinking it doesn’t count.

The nice thing about MFP is you don't have to lie any longer ... unless you set it to public, you are the only person who sees your food diary ... so there is no sense in lies ... eat the binge and record it ... record everything you eat ... learn to measure and weigh your food intake, and to find matching foods in the data base ...
  • DAYONENOW
    DAYONENOW Posts: 3 Member
    Glad your here. I left Weight Watchers also. It is all about the money with them and I learned nothing. I love MFP. There is so much support with all the people being honest and chatting.
  • liannebaker17
    liannebaker17 Posts: 54 Member
    Mrs_P_6817 wrote: »

How are you finding the transition from SW to this? This is my first day and I’m already struggling. I have about 1000 more calorie to eat but that would probably take me a i to a weeks worth of syns and facing a gain on the scales
  • FransessM
    FransessM Posts: 20 Member
    The one piece of advise I will give you: Meal prep. If you plan your meals and snacks ahead of time and make a habit of doing so at a specific day each week it will make this journey so much easier and help you not make bad choices at mealtimes. I have lost over 56 pounds and kept them off just by sticking to it.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    does anyone know who owns those diet clubs. nestle. ya know the chocolate/candy empire.
  • Mrs_P_6817
    Mrs_P_6817 Posts: 23 Member

How are you finding the transition from SW to this? This is my first day and I’m already struggling. I have about 1000 more calorie to eat but that would probably take me a i to a weeks worth of syns and facing a gain on the scales

I’m finding that it is definitely helping me to focus on what I’m eating and on portion control. However I find that I’m eating quite a few foods that I wouldn’t of on SW because of the sun values. Because I’m no longer eating massive portions I’m actually eating less calories which allows me to have the cereal bars that I love but would have been 6-8 syns a bar in SW. I’m also loving being back at the gym. It used to frustrate me at SW groups when they would say exercise isn’t necessary. The worst one is when they roll out the “a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat”. What a load of old tosh, they both weigh a pound, just that a pound of muscle is smaller in size but denser than a pound of fat.
  • lisabobczuk
    Nikion901 wrote: »

The nice thing about MFP is you don't have to lie any longer ... unless you set it to public, you are the only person who sees your food diary ... so there is no sense in lies ... eat the binge and record it ... record everything you eat ... learn to measure and weigh your food intake, and to find matching foods in the data base ...

I will do just that!
    I'm about to finish my dairy for the day and I'm just under! Feels amazing

Glad your here. I left Weight Watchers also. It is all about the money with them and I learned nothing. I love MFP. There is so much support with all the people being honest and chatting.

I totally agree with you, it's all about money. I was in class last week and it was a full class about the products they sell! So boring!

People on here are so friendly! I can't believe how many people like you, take time out to reply to me!
    It is so lovely.

Good luck on your journey :-)