Smartpoints vs calorie counting

Hello all, I just quit WW because they changed to Freestyle and it didn't work for me. I was losing weight with Smartpoints but so mad they changed to FS. I was wondering if it's just easier counting calories vs points? I tried MFP in the past but never stuck with it. I want to lose 20 lbs. Also, does MFP have a barcode to scan calorie? Thanks.

Replies

• Deb7770
    Deb7770 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello,
    I don't like the WW freestyle either. I just started MFP; yes you can scan barcodes. If it doesn't scan then just manually enter the code.
  • LisaRose54
    LisaRose54 Posts: 40 Member
    Ok thanks. How do you use the barcode scan on this app?
  • Eelkov
    Eelkov Posts: 88 Member
    Go to food, diary, add food, click on the barcode icon top right

• Eelkov
    Eelkov Posts: 88 Member
    LisaRose54 wrote: »
    Hello all, I just quit WW because they changed to Freestyle and it didn't work for me. I was losing weight with Smartpoints but so mad they changed to FS.
    I have seen quite a few people post almost exactly the same thing.

• LisaRose54
    Got it. Thanks.
  • puggles145
    puggles145 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello, I have the iPhone app and the scan icon is at the right upper corner of the screen when you are in the diary screen. Hope this helps.
  • LisaRose54
    Thank you. I did find it.
  • rjihrke
    rjihrke Posts: 1 Member
    Lisa, I too am not happy with the new changes! Trying this out to see if it makes a difference! Good luck to you!
  • LisaRose54
    Thank you. Hope you do well too
  • Alimacbean
    Alimacbean Posts: 120 Member
    Also trying this out due to no luck with Freestyle. I like Freestyle for maintenance, but not for weight loss.
  • Tesha231
    Tesha231 Posts: 381 Member
    I almost joined WW but the whole "free food" selection didn't make sense--chicken is free, really? Thought I would benefit more from the potential interaction and ease of food and exercise recording--and the site tracks/predicts your progress based on your logs. Still exploring all the options here. Good Luck!
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    I recommend getting a food scale if you stall (or even before) for accuracy. Food labels can be off. And eyeballing things like, peanut butter, you could end up with a huge variance.

Welcome all to MFP!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
  • LisaRose54
    Good luck everyone. Thanks for the info.
  • klkelley
    klkelley Posts: 121 Member
    LisaRose54, I am feeling your pain. I do not care for the Freestyle at all. I had lost 19 pounds and then nothing once that started so here I am. There is a message board going you might be interested in: NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL. Good luck to you!
  • LisaRose54
    Klkelley, thanks for message board info. Glad I'm not the only one dissatisfied with WW. I was on MFP years ago but never stuck with it. Now, with all the updates on here and the barcode scanning ability this should make it a lot easier to maintain. I wish you lots of luck too. Keep me posted on your progress.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    edited February 2018
    LisaRose54 wrote: »
    Klkelley, thanks for message board info. Glad I'm not the only one dissatisfied with WW. I was on MFP years ago but never stuck with it. Now, with all the updates on here and the barcode scanning ability this should make it a lot easier to maintain. I wish you lots of luck too. Keep me posted on your progress.

A lot of people who quit MFP early on quit because:

1) they aren't using it properly - they set to aggressive of a calorie deficit and don't account for the correct activity levels or exercise and are starving after a week or two and rage quit.

or

2) they don't understand that weight fluctuations are normal and assume it's not working and rage quit.

So if you want to be successful, set yourself a reasonable deficit with 20lbs to lose that's 0.5-1lb per week max and ensure you have the correct activity level chosen for your day-to-day home/work life, log your exercise and eat at least 50% of those back too.

Be mindful when barcode scanning, the database is user-entered and even when barcode scanning, you should check it against the label the first time you use something as there are a few erroneous entries.

Check out the Most Helpful posts pinned at the top of the Getting Started Board & the General Health & Diet Board, you will find some great advice on accurate logging.