I just learned that I have the adrenal body type and I am doing Keto....

Was wondering if anyone else out there with this issues and are you having any success staying in ketosis

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    What's an adrenal body type, and how did you determine that you are one?

Look up Dr Berg on Google - have a barf bag handy when you do...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Was wondering if anyone else out there with this issues and are you having any success staying in ketosis

Forget the body type stuff, it doesn't exist. I know a great many people have good results with keto, but it's too restrictive for me. If you're determined to do it, this group might be helpful: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

You don't have to follow any particular 'diet' to be successful, though. Give this a read for the basics: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

All of this^^ Especially that last link @pinuplove posted.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i love that adrenal fatigue is one of the newest things being hyped on athletic boards and YET there is nothing on any endocrinology website/association that validates it as a diagnosis
  • quiksylver296
    i love that adrenal fatigue is one of the newest things being hyped on athletic boards and YET there is nothing on any endocrinology website/association that validates it as a diagnosis

I keep hearing it, but haven't looked into what it supposedly is. What does it even allegedly mean?
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    people do want a shortcut for everything
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member

I keep hearing it, but haven't looked into what it supposedly is. What does it even allegedly mean?

It means you have a fake illness and need to buy some fake supplements :lol: Another excerpt (Mayo Clinic)

"The unproven theory behind adrenal fatigue is that your adrenal glands are unable to keep pace with the demands of perpetual fight-or-flight arousal. As a result, they can't produce quite enough of the hormones you need to feel good. Existing blood tests, according to this theory, aren't sensitive enough to detect such a small decline in adrenal function — but your body is.

It's frustrating to have persistent symptoms your doctor can't readily explain. But accepting a medically unrecognized diagnosis from an unqualified practitioner could be worse. Unproven remedies for so-called adrenal fatigue may leave you feeling sicker, while the real cause — such as depression or fibromyalgia — continues to take its toll."
  • quiksylver296

It means you have a fake illness and need to buy some fake supplements :lol: Another excerpt (Mayo Clinic)

"The unproven theory behind adrenal fatigue is that your adrenal glands are unable to keep pace with the demands of perpetual fight-or-flight arousal. As a result, they can't produce quite enough of the hormones you need to feel good. Existing blood tests, according to this theory, aren't sensitive enough to detect such a small decline in adrenal function — but your body is.

It's frustrating to have persistent symptoms your doctor can't readily explain. But accepting a medically unrecognized diagnosis from an unqualified practitioner could be worse. Unproven remedies for so-called adrenal fatigue may leave you feeling sicker, while the real cause — such as depression or fibromyalgia — continues to take its toll."

I assumed the bolded. :laugh: Thanks!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

Are adrenal fatigue and leaky gut syndrome often "diagnosed" together?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,992 Member

I work in GI and this one kills me. I have patients asking about it and how to be tested for it then get upset when I try to tell them it doesn't exist.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    wouldn't surprise me....the only people i see tout it are wanna-be triathlon coaches
  • singingflutelady
    cathipa wrote: »

I work in GI and this one kills me. I have patients asking about it and how to be tested for it then get upset when I try to tell them it doesn't exist.

Oh I bet! I'm a GI patient (I have Crohn's-currently gastroduodenal was Crohn's colitis with perianal disease but I had a total proctocolectomy with end ileostomy in May plus I have severe gastroparesis) and have had people compare their leaky gut to my Crohn's or fistulas. Um ok whatever.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,992 Member

Oh I bet! I'm a GI patient (I have Crohn's-currently gastroduodenal was Crohn's colitis with perianal disease but I had a total proctocolectomy with end ileostomy in May plus I have severe gastroparesis) and have had people compare their leaky gut to my Crohn's or fistulas. Um ok whatever.

Sorry for that!
  • singingflutelady
    edited February 2018

Sorry for that!

That goodness my fistulas are now a non issue (I had the surgery because of them) but I guess I can say my gut was actually leaking and let's just say it was very very obvious ;)
  • TyTravis007
    TyTravis007 Posts: 77 Member
    Before I went Keto I had issues with my mood and suffered from hypoglycemia (I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes at the age of eight). I often had trouble focusing in school and had at least one glycemic event per week. My running was good, but it could of been better. I’ve decided to go Keto after seeing my mother benefit both mentally and physically from the diet, and ever since I’ve been living a even better life. My mood has gotten significantly better, my hypoglycemia is non-existent, and I’ve had many improvements to my endurance sports. Despite the somewhat-popular belief that fat makes you fat, my weight has remained unchanged.

Since starting Keto at 16 I was 5'9 and 150 lbs. Now (age nineteen) I am... 5'9 and 150 lbs with 8% body fat. My LDL level (amount of "bad" cholesterol in my body) for this year is 137mg/dL, which is normal despite consuming 30-60g of saturated fats a day. That is my success with Keto. My mother (who is now 50) has been in Keto for three years now and has experienced similar benefits (minus the glycemic benefits as she doesn't suffer from it). This is despite her having half a thyroid.

If I may ask, what exactly is the "adrenal body type?" Was this provided by your primary care or nutritionist?

• hopiemama33
    hopiemama33 Posts: 52 Member
    Interesting note - I was diagnosed with "adrenal fatigue" by my chiropractor. In general she believes in integrating many types of medical care for most issues. Coincidentally, I had a CT scan for another issue and the radiologist noted that my right adrenal gland is inflamed. Probably just a correlation, and not causation, but I took note.