Losing Weight While Lifting Weights

Age-old question, but I'd like some fresh advice. I just finished running my second marathon in October, and usually after my marathons I take about 6 months off from running--I'm just sick of it and need to switch it up.

I recently became certified to teach Les Mills Body Pump classes, and I am loving it! However, I'm still working to lose about 30 more pounds.

What is your best advice for losing weight while using weightlifting as your main source of exercise? Obviously, I am in favor of toning/building some muscle, but still want to focus on the extra weight coming off.

Replies

• e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    Calorie deficit.

But too large of a calorie deficit can minimize muscle growth.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    e_v_v wrote: »
    Calorie deficit.

But too large of a calorie deficit can minimize muscle growth.

You can focus on improving muscle performance while in a deficit, and leave the building until later. If you really want to build muscle, you need a surplus (in general).

But if your main goal is weight loss, then a calorie deficit is the only way.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,981 Member
    If your main goal is losing weight, calorie deficit is the way to go. Lifting will keep you from losing what you already have.

You can recomp, but it's a slow process and not the fastest way to achieve one or the other (losing weight or gaining muscle). There's a big thread about recomp in the Maintenance forum that covers it pretty well.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    e_v_v wrote: »
    What is your best advice for losing weight while using weightlifting as your main source of exercise?

A small weekly calorie deficit, possibly not every day deficit either, adequate to high protein, suitable weight lifting program. Plus patience.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Caloric deficit
    Adequate protein/rest/hydration
    A structured proven lifting program.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    You cannot grow muscle in any type of calorie deficit. The most you can do is maintain your current muscle while you lose fat.

You have to eat in surplus to grow muscle. And as a female, in the most optimal circumstances, you can only gain about 0.25 lbs of muscle per week. In the most optimal circumstances. Body Pump isn't those circumstances.

Eat at a 250 calorie deficit to lose 0.50 lbs per week. Keep working out.
    @quiksylver296
    The bold is an exaggeration. Absolute statements do tend to be absolutely wrong! :)

There's plenty of examples (studies) where people did add some muscle in a deficit. (See link.)
    I've done it myself in several different circumstances.

And if you read this from Eric Helms you will be surprised to find out that people recomping (while maintaining weight) are actually in a tiny energy deficit too.

https://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/calorie-deficit-gain-weight/

Do agree that muscle growth is typically slow and body pump is sub optimal.

Seems counterintuitive. I'll have to check that out. Thanks.