Bar weight capacity

When I started lifting, I purchased a 45# 7' bar Olympic set that came with 255#s of weights. The description says "maximum bar weight capacity: 300lbs" Does that mean total weight capacity including the bar is 300, or can I add 300 to the bar. And, is that really the maximum?

I'm now hip thrusting 275# and wondering if I need to invest in a heavier capacity bar. If so, any recommendations?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Should be fine...unless it is some kind of cheap weird bar.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited February 2018
    If your bar is flexing (bending) a lot under the weight you might have an issue but if not it should be ok.

It's a good idea to weigh your bar yourself to check its actual weight. Weigh yourself on your scale without the bar and then when holding it and subtract.

Just a tip.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    I say it is bar + 300, because I think saying weight capacity of 300 but meaning bar + 255 would be misleading and would potentially lead to law suits.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    "Capacity" means how much the bar can hold...the bar can hold 300 Lbs.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    I'm going to say it depends on the bar. It's not uncommon to see elite heavy-weight powerlifters with 800 to 1000lbs on the bar and it's fine. But I've personally seen the cheap gym barbells damn near donut from 405lbs being on the bar. It just depends, invest in a good bar if this one doesn't work out.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    And sometimes cheap bars can hold a lot too!

https://youtu.be/JOy7D5LaoXw