Bring your crockpot/slow cooker recipes

Replies

• Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    edited December 2017
    Hot Lemony Chicken Curry:

Ingredients:

2 or 3 large white onions
    large piece fresh ginger root raw (100g at least)
    garlic (20 to 30 cloves)
    hot green chillies raw (adjust quantity to preference)
    skinless chicken breast fillet (1kg)
    large quantity of veggies (I use about 6 peppers, 6 large carrots, 750g mushrooms, 6 large tomatoes)
    0% fat Greek Yoghurt (about 900g)
    Juice of 2 or 3 lemons
    fresh coriander herb (approx 150g chopped stalks and all)
    Spice Mix (see below)

For the spice mix I use individual spices but you could buy a ready prepared blend. Adjust to taste:

Turmeric 30g
    Hot red chilli powder 100g (I like it VERY hot)
    cumin powder 10g
    coriander powder 10g
    paprika powder 5g
    fenugreek powder 5g
    asafetida powder 3g
    ground black pepper 5g
    garam masala 3g

Method:

1. Blend onions, ginger & garlic into a smooth paste in a food processor / blender / Nutribullet and put this in the crockpot with the chopped green chilli (I don't blend those)
    2. Add your chopped vegetables and stir through the garlicky paste. I let this cook for a while whilst I do the rest of the prep.
    3. Add the spice mix and stir through the veggies
    4. Add the chicken (cut into bite size pieces) and stir this through the spicy veggie mix. I tend to let this sit for a half hour before I do anything else to let the spice penetrate the chicken
    5. Add the yoghurt and stir through. I use the 0% Fat high protein brands
    6. Squeeze in the juice of two or 3 lemons
    7. Add salt as required. I use the pink Himalayan kind
    8. Allow to cook for about 3 hours with the lid slightly lifted. You might find it is too wet so reducing helps. you can adjust later if you need
    9. The fresh coriander herb should be added near the end of cooking, will take a few minutes to soften the stalks. Don't add it much earlier as you will lose the fragrance & taste of it

Option:

If I am working out my macros and this comes out too low in fat (I get 30% from fat) I add an appropriate amount of extra virgin coconut oil - usually around 30g for this quantity. My portion size comes in around 350 cals and weighs about 400g. It's filling stuff.

Clearly you can replace the chicken with all kinds of things like squash, sweet potatoes, aubergine (egg plant) or any other meat you like instead of chicken. You can also choose any veggies you want like beans, spinach, lentils or whatever else you fancy. Once you've got the basics of the paste, spice mix and herbs down you can create your own version

The curry should be rich, thick, zesty, hot, fragrant, herby, spicy and creamy. A full 2.5 litre crock pot makes about 10 portions for me.
  • MindyBruno
    MindyBruno Posts: 535 Member
    AlinaDonos wrote: »
    KaciWood19 wrote: »
    cream cheese chicken:

1 package dry italian seasoning mix
    1 package low fat cream cheese
    1 package low sodium cream of chicken soup
    I do about 3 boneless skinless breasts cut up into chunks

cook on low 8-10 hours, serve over rice

GREAT for a cold day.

Sounds so simple and delicious!! This is next on my list! THANKS!

I made this last week. EVERYONE loved it and asked to have it again. A big win in my house.
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Bumpety bump. Some great winter warming recipes on here - too good to be missed.
  • valine128
    valine128 Posts: 14 Member
    edited February 2018
    How about a beef stew inspired by Thanksgiving? I tried this one and it was really good. You can skip the chipotle if you don't want it spicy.

v19880w6lfsq.jpg
  • ShaeSweetness
    ShaeSweetness Posts: 61 Member
    Theres a recipe for Santa Fe chicken! Its AMAZING! Put it over rice and it is literally so delicious. Its a nice mexican style chicken. Its low calorie, only 188 calories per cup! I meal prepped it for like 2 weeks straight!

https://www.skinnytaste.com/crock-pot-santa-fe-chicken-425-pts/
  • amazsplendor
    amazsplendor Posts: 314 Member
    Theres a recipe for Santa Fe chicken! Its AMAZING! Put it over rice and it is literally so delicious. Its a nice mexican style chicken. Its low calorie, only 188 calories per cup! I meal prepped it for like 2 weeks straight!

https://www.skinnytaste.com/crock-pot-santa-fe-chicken-425-pts/

It does look .. delicious and simple! I can't wait to try.. Thanks!
  • dottyrainesimon
    dottyrainesimon Posts: 17 Member
    One head of cauliflower, teaspoon coconut oil, fresh ginger an garlic, 1/4 vegetable broth. Either place cauliflower in food processor or cut up real small. Cook on high for two hours. Soooooo good!!!

One pound lentals, carrots, celery, vegetable broth, onion, garlic, cook on low overnite. Good stuff!
  • picontreras
    picontreras Posts: 5 Member
    Turkey chili, most popular recipe in the website allrecipes. I usually leave mine 8 hours on low and it’s super tasty and even better if you add other veggies that you like ( I do carrots, red peppers and jalapeños)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    We make this regularly (yesterday, actually): http://allrecipes.com/recipe/25147/sarges-ez-pulled-pork-bbq/. I cook it then weigh out my portion and add bottled BBQ sauce after the fact. The tips on adding liquid smoke are right-on.

SO easy. Usually I'll make some rice in the rice cooker and set the timer, so everything is done when I get home from work. I'll zap some frozen veggies in the microwave to round it all out.
  • fitoverfortymom
    crazyravr wrote: »
    We make this regularly (yesterday, actually): http://allrecipes.com/recipe/25147/sarges-ez-pulled-pork-bbq/. I cook it then weigh out my portion and add bottled BBQ sauce after the fact. The tips on adding liquid smoke are right-on.

SO easy. Usually I'll make some rice in the rice cooker and set the timer, so everything is done when I get home from work. I'll zap some frozen veggies in the microwave to round it all out.

Do the same thing in an Instantpot if you got one. Much faster and much better tasting and texture for some reason.

Don't have one. I've been holding out, but starting to really, really want one. We're a busy family. I think an Instant Pot is a worthwhile appliance (I'm choosy about letting new appliances in).
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    this is so simple but one of my favorites. Use it with beef or venison. One packet of dry onion soup ( I use the Liptons brand that come in a blue box) and a cup of water. Let cook all day. That's it. But it's SO GOOD. |

https://www.dollargeneral.com/lipton-onion-dry-soup-mix-2oz.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Yj55Mio2QIVy4KzCh02yADlEAYYBSABEgJ3IvD_BwE
  • 99hockeymom
    99hockeymom Posts: 45 Member
    this is so simple but one of my favorites. Use it with beef or venison. One packet of dry onion soup ( I use the Liptons brand that come in a blue box) and a cup of water. Let cook all day. That's it. But it's SO GOOD. |

https://www.dollargeneral.com/lipton-onion-dry-soup-mix-2oz.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Yj55Mio2QIVy4KzCh02yADlEAYYBSABEgJ3IvD_BwE

I LOVE this!!! I make it all the time too, but instead of water, I use root beer. (or I've also used Diet Dr. Pepper)
    Holy deliciousness!!!
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member

Do the same thing in an Instantpot if you got one. Much faster and much better tasting and texture for some reason.

Don't have one. I've been holding out, but starting to really, really want one. We're a busy family. I think an Instant Pot is a worthwhile appliance (I'm choosy about letting new appliances in).

Instantpot is many tools all in one and does ALL very very well.
    It will replace your slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, egg boiler etc. etc. Unlike air fryers, this is a worth buying tool.

Do you have any suggestion on which model to buy, assuming it is best to go w/ the IP brand?
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    orangegato wrote: »

It will replace your slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, egg boiler etc. etc. Unlike air fryers, this is a worth buying tool.

Do you have any suggestion on which model to buy, assuming it is best to go w/ the IP brand?

I have both the Duo 60 and 80. Most weekends they are both being used simultaneously. I tend to use the 8 qt for soups and broths and everything else goes in the 6 qt.
  • fitoverfortymom
    lucys1225 wrote: »

I have both the Duo 60 and 80. Most weekends they are both being used simultaneously. I tend to use the 8 qt for soups and broths and everything else goes in the 6 qt.

I would definitely need two, because I usually have that many things going on at once. Like my Crock Pot + Rice Cooker need wouldn't go away, but maybe this would simplify it.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    I have the Ultra and I love it. I like the digital lights though, and the dial..I am a marketers dream. I would honestly not know what to do without this things. Best. Thing. Ever. Except for coffee (I digress).
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    lucys1225 wrote: »

I would definitely need two, because I usually have that many things going on at once. Like my Crock Pot + Rice Cooker need wouldn't go away, but maybe this would simplify it.

I also have an extra insert for the smaller one so, many times, I have one on deck . I guess you can say, I really like and use my mine. :)
  • sheliftsweights
    sheliftsweights Posts: 48 Member
    @crazyravr Thank you for the IP suggestion.
  • fitoverfortymom
    edited February 2018
    I got the IP DUO80 this weekend. Rocked out my steel cut oats recipe in 40 minutes, beginning to end, versus overnight in the slow cooker. Bonus: IP insert doesn't max out my kitchen scale, so full portions are easier to weigh.