I gained ALL my weight back, starting from square 1!

About 2 years ago i lost about 40 lbs HALF way to my goal!! I messed it all up with my unhealthy eating habits :( I would eat because i felt bad and feel bad because I ate, its a vicious cycle. Having fibro, RA and hypothyroid ... it's a struggle, but determined to lose weight (again) 80 lbs is the big goal! ;)

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Welcome back! When you get close to goal it might be worthwhile to hang around the maintenance board and come up with a plan to prevent regain again. Best wishes on your journey~
  • selenadm
    selenadm Posts: 3 Member
    I too am struggling and have struggled with the same issue! I’m back now and ready to go! If you want some extra motivation, I’m here if you’d like to add me :)
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Ouch. I have fibro, sleeping disorders and Dr.s can't seem to decide if I have Lupus or not, so yeah, I know how depressong and hard it can be. It mighy be easier to break eveeything down into smaller habits, instaed of one big change. That way, when you backslide you are more lukely to only screw up one or two habits instead of derailing eveeything you've worked for.
    I suggest logging for a while, even before making any serious changes to your diet.
    Weigh (with a scale is best) everything you eat, and write why you are eating it (i.e, lunchtime, hungry, kind of bored, out with friends, watching tv) and how you are feeling right before, right after and an hour after (hungry, comfortable, normal, full, very full bloated, drowsy).
    This gives you a baseline pattern for your normal habits and routine. From there, it's just a matter of experimenting. Are you very full after dinner? Cut back on a few things. Does lunch leave you bloated and gassy after an hour, try less or no mayo, and see if there's something you don't mind dropping each meal (fries, or cheese, or maybe only 2 tacos instead of 3).It's amazing how quickly these small and easily sustainable changes will add up to big calorie cuts. Only cut one or two things at a time, or make one or two changes, until they become habit instead if trying to do everything at once. That way they become individual habits instead of one big "diet". So when you backslide you won't drop everything at once, just one or two habits, that you can fix again more easily.
  • jennifurious81
    jennifurious81 Posts: 4 Member
    Lost 34, gained 15 back....trying to get back on track! It's irritating to have to "re-lose" weight but as long as we don't give up right?!
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Read: The Diet Trap - Judith Beck It helped me..
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Lost 34, gained 15 back....trying to get back on track! It's irritating to have to "re-lose" weight but as long as we don't give up right?!

Sharing the same boat.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Been there done that! The good thing is, you already know what to do since you've done it before. Maybe just make some tweaks so it sticks this time. It might be good to keep a food journal. Whenever you eat, how did you feel before you ate or something to that affect. If there's a pattern, you may be able to pick it out.

Welcome back, you got this!
  • I feel ya! I have been charting my food/drinks on and off since 12/2015. For about 6-9 months I did great losing weight (about 20 lbs) but then slowly started my old bad habits of eating whatever I wanted. I gained all that 20 lbs and more so! As of today, I'm officially back where I started (weight-wise) and recommitted. We can do this! Feel free to add me and I'll follow your journey.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Lost 38 gained 28 back lost 9 so far uggg
  • DerpfaceKillah
    DerpfaceKillah Posts: 6 Member
    I feel your pain. I lost 30 pounds in 7 months and now a year later....all back. I kind of lost all ability to care about my weight when my mom got sick. Trying to be proactive again. Keep going. We did it before, we can do it again.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Ajam1115 wrote: »
    About 2 years ago i lost about 40 lbs HALF way to my goal!! I messed it all up with my unhealthy eating habits :( I would eat because i felt bad and feel bad because I ate, its a vicious cycle. Having fibro, RA and hypothyroid ... it's a struggle, but determined to lose weight (again) 80 lbs is the big goal! ;)

@Ajam1115 I did the same thing over and over for 40 years and the arthritis (Ankylosing Spondylitis) got the best of me by the age of 63. Now at 67 my health and health markers are better than when I was 37.

Since Oct 2014 I have taken losing weight off of my agenda period. Most of my pain has been long go as well as 50 pounds with weight staying under 200 now for about three years.

After a lot of medical reading personally now I have only two health goals. They are learning how to eat to get my Triglyceride level down to around 60 and to get my HDL cholesterol to 60+.

In the process it has resolved or improved my general health markers. The arthritis pain is mostly gone and I have joints moving that have not moved in the last 30 years. 30 years of life defining IBS has been totally gone for 3 years. Mental clarity and vision have improved. I can get in an out off cars unaided now but not real gracefully in some cars. :)

I can not tell you or others what Way Of Eating will work best for you. Over time I found my best WOE and yes it does change from time to time as to my Carb, Protein and Fats macros.

Consider reading up how one may work their Triglyceride level down to around 60 and HDL level into the 60+ range by diet only. Last summer my triglycerides were at 80 and HDL levels were at 63 after nearly three years of fighting off a premature death my moving to a better WOE.

At my age diabetics, stoke, cancer, dementia, heart attacks, etc are of a concern to me and my family. From my reading having a Triglyceride/HDL ratio of near 1 is about the most one may be able to do to prevent/delay these known sources of premature death.

I expect you are much younger than 67 so time is on your side. If you can find the best WOE for you over the next 5 years I think you will be fine down the road. I do not think it is likely I will ever be obese again as long as I eat to keep my Triglyceride/HDL levels near a 1:1 ratio.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    I also found a WOE that keeps my bio metrics in the healthy range...still though I want to lose at least 10 pounds - 20 would be better.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    I lost 145 and re-found about 55 of them after being diagnosed with an underactive thyroid but on the way back down again now - slower than I'd like - but I'm determined. Never give up!
  • lakeena01
    lakeena01 Posts: 13 Member
    I am in the same predicament. My problem is that I never stop loving the bad food! I lost all of the weight I wanted to lose and gained every single pound back. It is wayyyyyyy too easy to gain and waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too difficult to lose and keep off. I am adding you to my prayer list. Thank you for sharing and being motivation. My reality is that I can't eat the bad foods that I love sooooooo much and that I am dependent on MFP to help with the reality of my calorie intake. I also have the goal of losing 80 lbs and keeping it off! GOOD LUCK!
  • WendyJoy76
    WendyJoy76 Posts: 948 Member
    you can do it!, log everything, stick to your calorie goal, make good food choices and move more :) I use to have so much pain in my hands and legs and it has been so much better since I lost 34 pounds now. I wish I found this app sooner :) it keeps me accountable