1g of protein per lb of body weight?

Replies

• BitofaState
    BitofaState Posts: 75 Member
    Lean59man wrote: »

Would you take golf lessons from a hacker who can't break 100?

Would you rather have advice from Hank Haney or Tiger Woods?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Wait. Does this mean I can no longer buy and read Lyle's women's book despite the years of research and science that has gone into it because he's neither a woman nor a woman who has trained to achieve my goal aesthetic? Well *love*.

And as for all those elite athlete coaches who never achieved national places themselves but take athletes to the Olympics et al, I suppose they're all just winging it with flukes.

Or I shouldn't see a male doctor for female health issues because clearly hasn't a clue because man.

Honestly, the stupid illogical things people use to try discredit an expert in a field never fails to amaze.

It sounds even more stupid when you put in this perspective. Nice work!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Wait. Does this mean I can no longer buy and read Lyle's women's book despite the years of research and science that has gone into it because he's neither a woman nor a woman who has trained to achieve my goal aesthetic? Well *kitten*.

And as for all those elite athlete coaches who never achieved national places themselves but take athletes to the Olympics et al, I suppose they're all just winging it with flukes.

Or I shouldn't see a male doctor for female health issues because clearly hasn't a clue because man.

Honestly, the stupid illogical things people use to try discredit an expert in a field never fails to amaze.

Makes you wonder why all those Olympic gold medalists even bothered listening to Béla Károlyi, and how they ever had any success. I mean, he was a dude (and a kind of chubby dude at that) who was never a gymnast himself. Nor was he a female. What the hell could he possibly know about gymnastics, right? Yet, his coaching yielded nine Olympic champions, fifteen world champions, sixteen European medalists and six U.S. national champions. Probably just pure coincidence, right?

Oh, and just for the record - Lyle is currently coaching a female powerlifter who set four World Records in her last meet (squat, DL, bench and combined overall). So there's that.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited February 2018
    psuLemon wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Should you take bulking advice from this guy?

ze8em1gkcm0e.jpg

So you'd trust him a lot more if he was a 'roided out bro wearing a string tank top and carrying a gallon water jug?

Would you take advice from a doctor who was overweight or drank.

Not for health advice. If he was a great surgeon then yes about surgery.

• Lean59man

Tiger Woods for sure.

Is that a trick question?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member

Tiger Woods for sure.

I'm a fan of Tiger's but I don't think he'd be a good teacher because I think what he does (or at least did) came from a natural talent that he cannot explain nor could anyone replicate even if he could.
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    kazane1 wrote: »
    Okay thanks for the help my target is is to bulk and build muscle and as I weigh 128lb would 150g of protein be okay or would that be too much? Also what is lean body mass? I’m currently eating in a surplus and I want to bulk and put on weight as well as muscle.

For building muscle in a surplus, carbs are king... protein is more important in a deficit than a surplus. You would be fine with 150 grams but it is a little overkill. If you don't know your BF% you could set protein as a minimum equal to 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight. So if your goal is 150 lbs, aim for 120 grams.

so I should take my protein intake down to 120grams your suggesting, instead of 150grams ? and then replace the remaining calories with carbs ?
    Iv'e never heard this before but I'm willing to give it a go.
  • Lean59man
    Eat a balanced diet with sufficient total calories to gain.

Micro-managing is not necessary.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    Okay thanks for the help my target is is to bulk and build muscle and as I weigh 128lb would 150g of protein be okay or would that be too much? Also what is lean body mass? I’m currently eating in a surplus and I want to bulk and put on weight as well as muscle.

For building muscle in a surplus, carbs are king... protein is more important in a deficit than a surplus. You would be fine with 150 grams but it is a little overkill. If you don't know your BF% you could set protein as a minimum equal to 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight. So if your goal is 150 lbs, aim for 120 grams.

so I should take my protein intake down to 120grams your suggesting, instead of 150grams ? and then replace the remaining calories with carbs ?
    Iv'e never heard this before but I'm willing to give it a go.

The higher protein won't hurt you, just won't add any additional benefit. If you need to supplement or have trouble getting to 150 then yes, you should lower it. If your regular diet allows you to get to 150 without any trouble, then you may as well keep it there.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Just re thinking my intakes after reading what everyone has said and do you think 120g of protein a day will still be enough to bulk and put on muscle? I’m currently eating in a surplus eating, 3,170 calories. And at the moment I have been eating 160g of protein, 70g of fat and 475g of carbs. I think my protein intake may be a little high and would I benefit more from eating 120g of protein and then eating more carbs? It’s just because this app breaks down your macros using % at the moment I’m eating at 20% protein which works out at 160g of protein and when I change it to 15% it goes down to 120g so I’m kinda left between having to pick one of those options I think. Thanks for all the good input so far everyone!

You are putting way too much emphasis on all this stuff. It's not going to make a difference really.

Eat a balanced diet and get your daily calorie goal in every day. If you do this everything will fall in place.

Are you gaining weight? You should be gaining a lb. or so a week if you are eating 500 cals over your caloric breakeven (be sure to add back activity calories).

If you are not gaining weight then your calorie amount is off.

This
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    edited February 2018
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Tiger Woods for sure.

I'm a fan of Tiger's but I don't think he'd be a good teacher because I think what he does (or at least did) came from a natural talent that he cannot explain nor could anyone replicate even if he could.

Well that and the fact that Hank Haney was Tiger's teacher during the best years of his career and has taught many other top golfers. I'm opting for Haney.
  • Lean59man
    mmapags wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Tiger Woods for sure.

Well that and the fact that Hank Haney was Tiger's teacher during the best years of his career and has taught many other top golfers. I'm opting for Haney.

I think Tiger's best years were when Butch Harmon was his coach. Harmon along with Tiger's father were his best coaches.

Harmon was able to keep Woods from constantly tinkering with his swing and play naturally. Unfortunately Tiger is a habitual swing tinkerer and did not stay with Harmon. He was already the best ball striker on Tour but was not satisfied and ended up ruining his swing, resulting in losing his ability to drive the ball accurately.

Haney came along after Woods had already had physical injuries and helped him jury-rig his swing to once again win. He did win again but was not the truly scary awesome player he was with Harmon.

http://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/numbers-woods-swing-coaches/