PLZ HELP!!!

I am 5’6 135 and 18. I gained like 10-15 lbs last year. And my body looks disgusting. How do I get rid of this. I have major events coming up and I need this POOCH TO DIE

Replies

• sjulez26
    sjulez26 Posts: 57 Member
    I mean it’s the end of the day so I’m bloated but I still look awful
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Take a deep breath. Log your dang calories if you want to lose weight.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited February 2018
    135 at 5'6 and 18 years is not really that much of a problem. I'd guess the pooch is more from undefined muscle tone than anything. And that's really going to be fixed with weights and building muscle more than actual weight loss.
    But it certainly doesn't hurt to develop sustainable healthy eating habits. So for that, I generally suggest logging for a while, even before making any serious changes to your diet.
    Weigh (with a scale is best) everything you eat, and write why you are eating it (i.e, lunchtime, hungry, kind of bored, out with friends, watching tv) and how you are feeling right before, right after and an hour after (hungry, comfortable, normal, full, very full bloated, drowsy).
    This gives you a baseline pattern for your normal habits and routine. From there, it's just a matter of experimenting. Are you very full after dinner? Cut back on a few things. Does lunch leave you bloated and gassy after an hour, try less or no mayo, and see if there's something you don't mind dropping each meal (fries, or cheese, or maybe only 2 tacos instead of 3).It's amazing how quickly these small and easily sustainable changes will add up to big calorie cuts. Only cut one or two things at a time, until they become habit instead if trying to do everything at once. That way they become individual habits instead of one big "diet". So when you backslide you won't drop everything at once, just one or two habits, that you can fix again more easily.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Take a deep breath. Log your dang calories if you want to lose weight.

Absolutely, you need to keep track of your calories and a bit of working out or cardio will help. You can easily go way over what your calorie intake is if you don't log what your eating. What were you doing different to make you gain 15 pounds?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    sounds like your body is developing as you're becoming an adult.

you're well within the normal BMI for your height.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited February 2018
    OK, here's the deal.

Since you're at a healthy BMI, losing weight (even only 10lbs) is gonna take a loooong time. Prepare yourself mentally for that. You're not gonna lose that weight in a week, so don't even think about it.

A sustainable weight loss pace for people in a healthy BMI is around 0.5-1 lbs loss per week.

Your sedentary TDEE (the amount of calories your body burns on a lazy, couch potato day of mostly sitting) is 1,890 (determined here:http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/).

Eating 1,890 calories every day will maintain your current weight (assuming you have a sedentary lifestyle). Eating 1640 calories per day (TDEE minus 250) will have you losing 0.5lbs per week . Eating 1390 calories per day (TDEE minus 500) will have you losing 1lbs per week.

Keep in mind these are NET calories, and would not include daily fitness activities or workouts. So if you go for a run, burn 200 calories, you would eat those extra 200 calories on top of the 1640/1390.

The more accurate you can get with your calorie counting, the more reliable your results will be. That means using a scale to measure your solid foods and measuring cups for your liquids. And recording every calorie you consume and sticking to your deficit every day.

Now, I will mention another option - RECOMPING. This means eating your maintenance calories (1890 + workouts) and doing a strength routine. Your weight on the scale won't move, but you will shed fat and replace it with muscle, resulting in a more toned, slim appearance at the same 135lbs weight.

Either way you go... prepare yourself to be patient and celebrate your small victories. Stay diligent and you'll see results. Good luck.