How much fat can I lose if I fast for a whole day?

wally2wiki
wally2wiki Posts: 36 Member
edited February 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm 294 this morning, was 297 yesterday morning before my 14 hour fast.

My maintenance calories are 3300, obviously most of that was water weight, but I'm going to try for a full day today to see what happens.

Anybody with experience on this?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Depends how much you eat when you eat...
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    First of all you are right you lost water and there is less bulk in your stomach and intestines. This is not fat loss. If you truly burn 3300 calories a day you could theoretically lose almost a pound a day but your body is going to consume more than fat which is why fasting for quick weight loss is not safe. Take your time to lose weight. You didn't gain it all in a day and you won't lose it all in a day. One of the many reasons we lose slowly is to reeducate ourselves on how to eat healthy. Fasting excessively to lose weight is not going to accomplish that and you are risking your health.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Short answer.

None
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,525 Member
    Between where you are today based on your past and where you will have to get to in order to both manage to lose the weight you need to and maintain that loss.... you have a long way in front of you.

Much of it behavioral and mental and overhauling how you relate to food (and various types of food) and general levels of activity and even exercise.

Your current exploration? A dead end.

Thinking of a sustainable way to create a ~20% deficit as compared to how many calories you burn each day for the next couple of years? Much more practical.

You want simpler still? Figure out what a normal weight person (BMI 24.9) who is lightly active or even active and has your stats.... figure out how many calories they get to eat.

Start there.... you can adjust later...

And it is never too early to start practicing how you will have to eat and move in order to maintain...

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I have no idea, but I find this question slightly concerning. I'd look into some healthier weight loss options.

There is nothing unhealthy about a one day fast.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Zero. You will lose zero fat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    You'll lose < 1 lb of fat if your daily TDEE is 3300 and you consume no calories. If you overeat the next day, you'll gain it back.

You may or may not see a drop on the scales, since weight is more than fat.

I fast for a day now and then for weight control and for the discipline of it. I like it. I've done it for decades. Not on a regular schedule, just now and then when I feel like it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Why? it would just be water.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I have no idea, but I find this question slightly concerning. I'd look into some healthier weight loss options.

Perhaps not in and of itself. Unless it triggers a binge-restrict cycle or is accompanied by other eating-disordered behaviors. Not saying that is the case with the OP (I have no idea) but it bears further consideration.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    pinuplove wrote: »

Perhaps not in and of itself. Unless it triggers a binge-restrict cycle or is accompanied by other eating-disordered behaviors. Not saying that is the case with the OP (I have no idea) but it bears further consideration.

That could be said of anything regarding eating.