So you’ve lost the weight...

Replies

• DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    I’d have to say yes. My family acts like I’m withering away and any time I go to visit they’re forcing food on me. Lol I understand love and food correlate but that’s how I gained weight in the first place and they don’t see that.
  • MySweetLavinia
    MySweetLavinia Posts: 90 Member
    Yes, people definitely treat me differently. Strangers in general are much nicer and more accomodating. I get called "honey" and "sweetheart" a lot now, especially by men. I dunno what that's about.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    No...
  • potatoyeti
    potatoyeti Posts: 38 Member
    Family and friends minimal change (their has been a bit of jealousy from a couple acquaintances). Have definitely noticed a difference when interacting with strangers though and how they percieve me.
  • birdenerd
    birdenerd Posts: 41 Member
    This is one of the things I'm curious about. I'm still in the process of losing weight but I've been heavy my entire life so I wonder if/how things will change. I doubt friends and family will treat me any different but I don't know how interactions with strangers will be..
  • GoalGal50
    GoalGal50 Posts: 90 Member
    Wow
  • Jobar001
    Jobar001 Posts: 21 Member
    Friends, however, is a different story. I lost friends when I started to lose weight. They told me that I've changed but all that had happened was that I finally grew confidence, became more comfortable with myself and finally started to put my foot down and say no when I wasn't happy with something. But to them I was a terrible person[/quote]

This is one of my biggest fears about the whole process! I know it's good for me. But it's scary!

• cheers2205
    cheers2205 Posts: 15 Member
    Hmm. I’ve been struggling with this lately. I am most grateful for those who don’t make a fuss about it and treat me exactly the same. It’s obviously noticeable (55 lbs) but I’ve gotten comments like “you look like a totally different person”. That puzzled/bugged me for a while, but now I’m grateful to have heard it because I have literally had people not recognize me. While strangers seem to treat me “more nicely”, the thing I’ve been struggling with is that professionally, I feel a little more “dismissed”, which is shocking for me. Specifically while walking into situations where people may not know me very well - I feel like I have to work harder to be heard/input to be taken seriously. WTF is that about?!? I have not lost brain power or expertise along with excess fat... it is the weirdest thing!!!! Anyone else experience this?!?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Jobar001 wrote: »
    Friends, however, is a different story. I lost friends when I started to lose weight. They told me that I've changed but all that had happened was that I finally grew confidence, became more comfortable with myself and finally started to put my foot down and say no when I wasn't happy with something. But to them I was a terrible person

This is one of my biggest fears about the whole process! I know it's good for me. But it's scary!

[/quote]

Are these friends that you've lost overweight? Makes me think of the spouses on my 600 pound life who don't want their spouse to lose weight and be healthy... Because it makes them feel better about themselves
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Not really. I am asked out by fit men, which is new to me.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Three years ago I lost 50 lbs. Got lots of compliments even from people with whom I share a mutual dislike. That was about the extent of it.

But the one person I most wanted to hear from, my husband, remained silent, as if I didn't just lose an amazing amount of weight.

I ended up gaining it all back because for various reasons I gave up.

This time I expect more of the same except I am not going to expect anything from my husband, nor am I going to give up.

Nobody really treated me differently; just were complimentary.

Maybe just read your husbands silence as " Honey, I love you through thick and thin."
  • RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 157 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    It’s harder to find clothes in my new sizes than in my old sizes.

People congratulate me on my body now. No one congratulated me on my body before.

Things are made to fit the body I have now. Airline seats are plenty wide enough and no one seems upset at the idea of sitting next to me.

People assume that I don’t eat various things, particularly bread or sweets. I eat chocolate every day and rice several times a week.

No one seems surprised to see me exercising now, nor do they seem to think I’m doing an exceptionally great job at that exercise.

Some family members think I’m “too skinny,” despite being right in the middle of the optimal BMI range for my height.

I have to agree with apullum, people assume i don't eat various things too. I remember planning to go out with family and friends when one of them told me " you don't eat burgers right? so is it OK if we go here?" , ummm heck ya i eat burgers!! I just calculate my calories for it. Also, still need to lose a few more pounds to get to the normal BMI and people freak out thinking I am to skinny and any more they think is to much. Sorry.. not sorry but i am doing this for me and I have a goal that i want to accomplish.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!