Weight Loss became muscle gain

Happy to be building a tight lean body but I really wanted to lose the extra handful of fat I’d gained this winter. I started off good- lost 8 lbs in under three weeks and then weighed myself five days later to discover I had gained back half of it- I’m assuming in muscle mass because I have been working out excessively.

I need some tips on how to turn my muscle gain train to fat loss! What is the best workout routine? What type of diet or caloric deficit?
I am 5ft5 and have always been around 121 lbs.
this winter I gained 15 lbs and I now weigh 131 after having gone down to 127 a week ago and then having gone back up with the muscle gain. I still really want to be 121 with small lean muscle. I am not happy with how this has been going even though I have been working my *kitten* off- I am so fatigued from all the exercise!

Help!

Replies

• ABCalkinsdiy
    ABCalkinsdiy Posts: 6 Member
    Cathipa- what is TOM?
    Doing some reading about DOMS
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,992 Member
    Cathipa- what is TOM?
    Doing some reading about DOMS

Time of month
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    edited February 2018
    Happy to be building a tight lean body but I really wanted to lose the extra handful of fat I’d gained this winter. I started off good- lost 8 lbs in under three weeks and then weighed myself five days later to discover I had gained back half of it- I’m assuming in muscle mass because I have been working out excessively.

I need some tips on how to turn my muscle gain train to fat loss! What is the best workout routine? What type of diet or caloric deficit?
    I am 5ft5 and have always been around 121 lbs.
    this winter I gained 15 lbs and I now weigh 131 after having gone down to 127 a week ago and then having gone back up with the muscle gain. I still really want to be 121 with small lean muscle. I am not happy with how this has been going even though I have been working my *kitten* off- I am so fatigued from all the exercise!

Help!

Why are you exercising excessively?

Apart from anything else that'll be causing water retention!

Good question? Why are you exercising so hard? I will add here, are you eating enough to support your body fuel wise?
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited February 2018
    I would guess that it is water retention. I know when I change up my workout routine enough to actually be uncomfortable (or downright sore) I always gain 3 -5 lbs for the next few days, generally untill it stops hurting again, lol. I have also noticed if I am in a flare with inflammation or it is that time of month, I also gain about the same amount. So my current (not highly researched honestly) hypothesis is that the inflammation is just water (or other fluid) retention, and will go away on it's own in a few days.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    You don't gain anything without an excess of calories (with the exception of recomp but you still wouldn't show a gain on the scale because not eating at a surplus).

I use this analogy a lot. You can't add an extension to your home without the bricks. Same thing.

It has to be water retention.
  • ABCalkinsdiy
    ABCalkinsdiy Posts: 6 Member
    Sounds like water retention based on all your responses. That coupled with TOM. I feel great and look great so I really wanted to stick with what I was doing.

Repeated question- I am training for marathon, a few hoop competitions and future participant in Iron Man
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Just use less weights.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Just use less weights.

Nope.