Do you plan on counting calories your whole life in order to maintain?

Replies

• Yes! I have found that maintenance calories for my height and weight are much lower than I thought (and I'm always hungry) so I start drifting upwards IMMEDIATELY if I do not track.
  • theresa961
    theresa961 Posts: 37 Member
    Yes I will log everything. I am capable of gaining 75 pounds just like that!
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    God, I hope not.
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    I will probably keep doing it for a long time since plan on bulking and gain weight after my current fat loss plan, and if i dont count calories its easy to go way over or way under for me when im bulking.
  • hannaftw
    hannaftw Posts: 2 Member
    This little dity answers your question precisely.

Dieter's Psalm

Strict is my diet. I must not want.
    It maketh me to lie down at night hungry.
    It leadeth me past the confectioners.
    It trieth my willpower.
    It leadeth me in the paths of alteration
    for my figure's sake.
    Yea, though I walk through the aisles
    of the pastry department, I will buy
    no sweetrolls for they are fattening.
    The cakes and the pies, they tempt me.
    Before me is a table set with
    green beans and lettuce.
    I filleth my stomach with liquids,
    My day's quota runneth over.
    Surely calorie and weight charts will
    follow me all the days of my life,
    And I will dwell in the fear of scales forever.

Omg this is scarily accurate... :o
  • litebright33
    litebright33 Posts: 19 Member
    When I reach goal weight I plan on logging either one week out of the month, or a whole month every few months just to make sure my portion sizes and such aren’t accidentally growing.
  • culpablecorgi
    culpablecorgi Posts: 15 Member
    No. With a side order of Absolutely Not. My life is not gonna be about numbers forever. I'm here to develop better food habits that stick with me, not to develop a lifelong dependency on logging data for everything I so much as think about eating. As it stands, I currently have no medical reason to count every bite I take for quite that long.

If you have your own reasons to log for most of your life and don't find it tedious or insanity-inducing, well, that's pretty rad and I support you entirely. I just know that is definitely not how my (admittedly damaged) brain works, and it's safe to say that I will not be doing this forever unless I absolutely must.
  • berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    I haven't thought that far ahead yet. Right now I want to lose about 50 pounds and go from there. I have been doing this now for over 40 days and it has worked so well for me. Considering all of the other times I have tried to lose weight, I got sloppy and quit. Logging is working so great and I actually don't mind doing it. It has gotten to be second nature. If I have to log to keep myself in check when the weight is gone-then I will. My mind is made up that this time around I will be SUCCESSFUL and those pounds will be gone and not come back!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited February 2018
    How I lost weight and maintain weight is to fast tell long enough so that when I start eating, I can eat tell full and keep grazing tell the end of the day. It takes a 20-hr daily fast for me to lose and about a 16-hr daily fast to maintain (eating whatever I want and as much as I want in the evenings). Simple and easy with no counting. Has worked for me for almost 2.5-yrs. If I do eat lunch, I won't snack tell dinner but after eating dinner, I snack for the rest of the evening. I've lost 58-lbs and am at my lowest weight since starting this in Sept 2015.
  • Biker_SuzCO
    Biker_SuzCO Posts: 54 Member
    No I don’t plan to log forever. I do plan to keep track in my head. I’m pretty good at estimating at this point. I didn’t log religiously while losing either. I do log every few weeks to try to drop a few more pounds with no success though! These last few pounds are killing me.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I will probably log a lot. I don't plan to ever go more than a couple of days without weighing and if it starts drifting up at all, I will start logging if I haven't been. My "goal" was actually the upper end of my range, the number I want to stay under. So now I have changed it to be 7 pounds lower and and set loss to be a half pound per week. So technically speaking, I may not really be in maintenance yet because even though I am in the range I want to be I am still eating at a slight deficit and tracking closely.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,294 Member
    I enjoy logging anyway so tho I'm not quite there yet, I probably will, I'm a bit OCD anyway
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Probably, at least for a year or so after reaching my goal weight. I do hope that I can learn more about calories and nutrition though, and be less strict with my counting later on.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    I haven't logged since summer 2016. I track my weight/size and when I am getting fatter than I would like tighten up my eating habits. I have found that calorie counting for a short period of time helped me figure out all i needed to know and cutting down on alcohol/snacks gets me back to where I want to be.