Realistically how much should I be losing?

13»

Replies

• rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    pastelfae wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Did you put your info into MFP to get your goal? Starting out at 1200 calories puts you at the bottom...you have nowhere to go when you start stalling and whatnot. My guess is that you could quite easily lose steadily at a higher calorie target...and with your exercise you should be eating more than 1200 anyway...1200 is for small, sedentary females.

When i did it gave me about 1850 calories which was too much it made it too easy to slip into binging.

I was given 1,750 calories per day by a personal trainer who did his masters in nutrition And I’m only 4’11 with an hour of exercise 4/5 times per week. I had a starting weight of 176 pounds.

• pastelfae
    pastelfae Posts: 22 Member
    me0231 wrote: »

Honestly if I stopped losing I think I would just o on a fast or detox until I started seeing weight loss again. It's what I did before.

And has that worked out for you? I'm sure it got the scale moving short term, but look at where you are now?

Honestly, I get it, I really do. I felt alone too, I saw my friends eat, I based my happiness on my weight, I've binged, I restricted excessively, I've done it all. With the result that I ended up heavier than ever, more depressed and unhappy etc. It just doesn't work that way. Don't do what I did and waste 20 years before you realize it's not going to work like that.

You have a bigger body than those kpop kids and I assume you don't have the same number of years of work out experience. You cannot do what they do. You do you

I mean I have don't different exercise activities since I was a kid and no matter how much I worked I stayed big. I don't know what's wrong with me. Even when I ate clean and worked out every day i barely lost weight and my thyroid levels are normal but still no matter how much I work out I stay fat.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    So anyway I'm crying now that was a lot to get out lol

It can be an emotional process. Just hang in there. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Losing slower and building fitness as you go is more likely to lead to lifelong changes that you can maintain. You can do this!

Eat enough to maintain your fitness level and a calorie deficit. If you enter your stats into MFP it will give you a baseline goal to work from. You just have to trust the process and be patient with it.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    me0231 wrote: »

Honestly if I stopped losing I think I would just o on a fast or detox until I started seeing weight loss again. It's what I did before.

And has that worked out for you? I'm sure it got the scale moving short term, but look at where you are now?

Honestly, I get it, I really do. I felt alone too, I saw my friends eat, I based my happiness on my weight, I've binged, I restricted excessively, I've done it all. With the result that I ended up heavier than ever, more depressed and unhappy etc. It just doesn't work that way. Don't do what I did and waste 20 years before you realize it's not going to work like that.

You have a bigger body than those kpop kids and I assume you don't have the same number of years of work out experience. You cannot do what they do. You do you

I mean I have don't different exercise activities since I was a kid and no matter how much I worked I stayed big. I don't know what's wrong with me. Even when I ate clean and worked out every day i barely lost weight and my thyroid levels are normal but still no matter how much I work out I stay fat.

Honestly, this reminds me of my sister - she's super athletic and has been since she was a kid, plus she loves to cook and usually sticks to healthy foods. It's just that even healthy foods have calories - sometimes LOTS of calories (shakes fist at nuts and dried fruit) - and working out a lot can make you really hungry! Plus, she binges on higher calorie snack foods when she gets frustrating with doing everything "right" and still being overweight. Weight loss really is all about calories, and for most people, the expression "you can't outrun your diet" is true.
  • pastelfae
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    1houndgal wrote: »
    Did you put your info into MFP to get your goal? Starting out at 1200 calories puts you at the bottom...you have nowhere to go when you start stalling and whatnot. My guess is that you could quite easily lose steadily at a higher calorie target...and with your exercise you should be eating more than 1200 anyway...1200 is for small, sedentary females.

When i did it gave me about 1850 calories which was too much it made it too easy to slip into binging.

That is why you log your foods. By logging your foods you will be able to see how much you are over eating. Ideally, log your food before you eat it. And when you shop read the food labels. And if you eat fast food, read the calorie counts of the items before making your choice.

A forewarned eater can be a wiser eater, with reguards to his or her food intake.

And should you binge. Log all you ate and drink, and get back on the wagon the next meal and the next day.

1800ish seems more realistic for starting out on your weight loss journey for you. (Dont use that number to excuse a binge either, as you have the power to choose if you are going to overeat a bunch of food).

If after a couple weeks you see a gain, you can adjust if you feel the need to do so.

But don't do a drastic kcal increase or decrease as you find what works for you. That usually does not seem to end well imo.

Many food binge eating behavior imo seem to have emotional issues as triggers. If your eating is out of control, seek some counseling and perhaps keep a journal.

You can use this app and make a note of things going on surrounding your binge eating on your diary (notes). You can note things like mood changes, life situations, stresses, etc etc.

Yeah I'm already seeing a therapist about my ED because I used to restrict to like 500 calories and then once I stopped that I started binging so I'm definitely making sure I have professional help with that. Keeping a journal is also a good idea.

If you have a history of binging and restricting, why do you think it's a good idea to eat 1200 calories? That's a restrictive diet that can trigger your binges. Just a thought, hopefully it won't fall on deaf ears.

Because I'm super paranoid about gaining more weight to be completely honest. This is the highest weight is have ever been. I'm dating a skinny boy who is a picker eater so we always eat pizza or burgers when we hang out. My friends eat whatever the hell they want. I feel like I'm all alone with this. Even my other chubby friends are very fat positive and aren't looking to lose weight. I've spiraled out of control with my eating habits and I need to be fit. I don't want it I NEED it. I need it to be happy. I'm not ignoring what people have to say I am listening I am taking everything in but y'all have to understand I had to quit dance because every made fun of my weight. I quit acting and every thing else because I was so self conscious. I won't let being the fat girl with the pretty face stop me from achieving my goals. This is so so HARD for me. I am taking a huge risk choosing this as my career goal. I have to put everything into it or I will fail and I can't take that. I look kpop idols who eat far less and work more than I am now to reach their goals. So seeing people tell me I need to eat way more than I planned to makes me panic. Because what if I spiral again.

I think it's great that you've chosen a path that you love, even if it's going to be hard. I do think there might be one aspect of the "how many calories to eat" question that you're missing or ignoring - those kpop idols you mentioned are probably all much smaller than you and so their bodies need fewer calories to stay healthy. Even when you are losing weight, you simply have to fuel your body sufficiently if you want to stay healthy. In addition to possible nutritional or binging problems, your body will start burning through muscle as well as fat if you try to eat like someone who weighs half (or less) than you do. There's a limit to how much fat your body can burn at once, and muscle is very hard to rebuild once it's gone. You absolutely can and should give this your best, but that should also mean doing it smart - you will not end up "fit" if you sacrifice your health for your goals. Good luck!

You make a good point. A lot of them are close to 100 lbs. That's a third of my weight. I'll put in active and follow whatever MFP gives me for calories. Thank you for your kind words.

Another thing on this line: Maybe there's reason to be skeptical about what the kpop stars' publicists tell them to put on IG or whatever, about what and how much they supposedly eat. What we see is a manufactured image, not their real lives as actual humans.

I did a research paper on the dark side of the Korean music industry and a lot of them have eating disorders so they definitely don't eat a lot. They do crash diets a lot. Some companies don't let them have water 12 hours prior to going on stage so they don't look bloated.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    1houndgal wrote: »

That is why you log your foods. By logging your foods you will be able to see how much you are over eating. Ideally, log your food before you eat it. And when you shop read the food labels. And if you eat fast food, read the calorie counts of the items before making your choice.

A forewarned eater can be a wiser eater, with reguards to his or her food intake.

And should you binge. Log all you ate and drink, and get back on the wagon the next meal and the next day.

1800ish seems more realistic for starting out on your weight loss journey for you. (Dont use that number to excuse a binge either, as you have the power to choose if you are going to overeat a bunch of food).

If after a couple weeks you see a gain, you can adjust if you feel the need to do so.

But don't do a drastic kcal increase or decrease as you find what works for you. That usually does not seem to end well imo.

Many food binge eating behavior imo seem to have emotional issues as triggers. If your eating is out of control, seek some counseling and perhaps keep a journal.

You can use this app and make a note of things going on surrounding your binge eating on your diary (notes). You can note things like mood changes, life situations, stresses, etc etc.

Yeah I'm already seeing a therapist about my ED because I used to restrict to like 500 calories and then once I stopped that I started binging so I'm definitely making sure I have professional help with that. Keeping a journal is also a good idea.

If you have a history of binging and restricting, why do you think it's a good idea to eat 1200 calories? That's a restrictive diet that can trigger your binges. Just a thought, hopefully it won't fall on deaf ears.

Because I'm super paranoid about gaining more weight to be completely honest. This is the highest weight is have ever been. I'm dating a skinny boy who is a picker eater so we always eat pizza or burgers when we hang out. My friends eat whatever the hell they want. I feel like I'm all alone with this. Even my other chubby friends are very fat positive and aren't looking to lose weight. I've spiraled out of control with my eating habits and I need to be fit. I don't want it I NEED it. I need it to be happy. I'm not ignoring what people have to say I am listening I am taking everything in but y'all have to understand I had to quit dance because every made fun of my weight. I quit acting and every thing else because I was so self conscious. I won't let being the fat girl with the pretty face stop me from achieving my goals. This is so so HARD for me. I am taking a huge risk choosing this as my career goal. I have to put everything into it or I will fail and I can't take that. I look kpop idols who eat far less and work more than I am now to reach their goals. So seeing people tell me I need to eat way more than I planned to makes me panic. Because what if I spiral again.

I think it's great that you've chosen a path that you love, even if it's going to be hard. I do think there might be one aspect of the "how many calories to eat" question that you're missing or ignoring - those kpop idols you mentioned are probably all much smaller than you and so their bodies need fewer calories to stay healthy. Even when you are losing weight, you simply have to fuel your body sufficiently if you want to stay healthy. In addition to possible nutritional or binging problems, your body will start burning through muscle as well as fat if you try to eat like someone who weighs half (or less) than you do. There's a limit to how much fat your body can burn at once, and muscle is very hard to rebuild once it's gone. You absolutely can and should give this your best, but that should also mean doing it smart - you will not end up "fit" if you sacrifice your health for your goals. Good luck!

You make a good point. A lot of them are close to 100 lbs. That's a third of my weight. I'll put in active and follow whatever MFP gives me for calories. Thank you for your kind words.

Another thing on this line: Maybe there's reason to be skeptical about what the kpop stars' publicists tell them to put on IG or whatever, about what and how much they supposedly eat. What we see is a manufactured image, not their real lives as actual humans.

I did a research paper on the dark side of the Korean music industry and a lot of them have eating disorders so they definitely don't eat a lot. They do crash diets a lot. Some companies don't let them have water 12 hours prior to going on stage so they don't look bloated.

Definitely don't emulate that! Not healthy, not normal . . . not necessary.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    I’m glad to hear that you are talking with both your doctor and a therapist. All anybody here wants is for you to be both happy and healthy (mentally + physically)!

If I may offer one more suggestion - friend people on this site. They are here to support you. “Friend” people of a similar size/similar calorie goals to you, and take a look at their diaries to get ideas of what to eat within those goals.

Here are some threads to start: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10462743/1800-1900-calorie-diaries

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1233640/2000-calorie-diary-i-can-view

Also, the website Eating Well has some pretty good meal plans with recipes, for a variety of calorie goals:
    http://www.eatingwell.com/article/287767/7-day-diet-meal-plan-to-lose-weight-2000-calories/

http://www.eatingwell.com/article/287731/7-day-diet-meal-plan-to-lose-weight-1800-calories/

I know 1800-2000+ calories sounds like a lot, so it might help to think of it in terms of meals. A 400 calorie breakfast, 500 calorie lunch, 700 calorie dinner, and a 200 calorie afternoon snack. A 300 calorie breakfast, 200 calorie mid-morning snack, 400 calorie lunch, 200 calorie afternoon snack, and 700 calorie dinner. Etc.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Op if it helps when I started out I was over 200 lbs and was sedentary I was able to eat 2000 calories and lose weight. I also have a metabolic disorder. you wont gain eating 1800+ if you are going to be that active.you will be in a deficit of calories so you will lose weight. so dont be afraid you will gain. when you weigh more believe it or not your body needs more calories to function.

you can try 2000 if you want and try that for a few weeks(-3-4) and see what happens. also know that the more active you are the more water you will retain to repair muscle so that can also mask weight loss. and its not about what you eat for weight loss is about how much. I got fat eating more fruits and veggies than I needed lol. working out and eating clean wont guarantee weight loss unless you are in a deficit and if you didnt lose you werent in a deficit.

and stop worrying about what your boyfriend or anyone eats or does. focus on YOU, never compare yourself to anyone else. you are you and you should want to be healthy and lose weight for you and no one else. you do what you love and let those losers make fun of you. they only do it because their self esteem is so low it makes them feel better to put others down. like they say let your haters be your motivators!.

Those people arent in your shoes and you are always going to encounter people like that. just overlook them and do you. once you stop caring what others say or think the better off you will be. trust me Ive been there. was bullied about my weight as a kid and I only gained 20-30 lbs and I wasnt overweight at that time.dont let anyone have power over you or your emotions. You can do this.
  • pastelfae
    edited February 2018
    Op if it helps when I started out I was over 200 lbs and was sedentary I was able to eat 2000 calories and lose weight. I also have a metabolic disorder. you wont gain eating 1800+ if you are going to be that active.you will be in a deficit of calories so you will lose weight. so dont be afraid you will gain. when you weigh more believe it or not your body needs more calories to function.

you can try 2000 if you want and try that for a few weeks(-3-4) and see what happens. also know that the more active you are the more water you will retain to repair muscle so that can also mask weight loss. and its not about what you eat for weight loss is about how much. I got fat eating more fruits and veggies than I needed lol. working out and eating clean wont guarantee weight loss unless you are in a deficit and if you didnt lose you werent in a deficit.

and stop worrying about what your boyfriend or anyone eats or does. focus on YOU, never compare yourself to anyone else. you are you and you should want to be healthy and lose weight for you and no one else. you do what you love and let those losers make fun of you. they only do it because their self esteem is so low it makes them feel better to put others down. like they say let your haters be your motivators!.

Those people arent in your shoes and you are always going to encounter people like that. just overlook them and do you. once you stop caring what others say or think the better off you will be. trust me Ive been there. was bullied about my weight as a kid and I only gained 20-30 lbs and I wasnt overweight at that time.dont let anyone have power over you or your emotions. You can do this.

The issue with my friends and boyfriend is like my boyfriend's haaaates veggies so whenever we hang out we get junk food because he's so picky. He literally eats a burger and fries every day. He's jughead lol. So it's hard to eat healthy around them.

I put in active and 2 lbs per week and MFP gave me 2,230 calories. I didn't work out today because I'm not feeling well so I'm not gonna eat that but I am making sure I eat a good amount. Thanks for the love and advice
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

The issue with my friends and boyfriend is like my boyfriend's haaaates veggies so whenever we hang out we get junk food because he's so picky. He literally eats a burger and fries every day. He's jughead lol. So it's hard to eat healthy around them.

I put in active and 2 lbs per week and MFP gave me 2,230 calories. I didn't work out today because I'm not feeling well so I'm not gonna eat that but I am making sure I eat a good amount. Thanks for the love and advice

you are welcome and if he doesnt like veggies he doesnt have to eat them lol, if you want to eat a small salad with your pizza . and on days you dont work out you can eat less. you can also figure out what your weekly calories are and eat more some days and less on other days. so since it gave you 2230,that gives you 15,610 calories for the week, so if you want to eat say 1800 or a little less on days you dont work out,you can then eat more on the days you do or when you do go out for pizza and then there will be no worries there either. for many that is a healthier balance and works for them and is less worry.
  • leannmcclain3887
    leannmcclain3887 Posts: 6 Member
    I’ve struggled with Binging since I was 11
    The thing that worked for me a lot is at meal times I would have a veggie, fruit, and meat (mostly grilled chicken)
    I did and still do try to stay on a calorie deficit of 1200

I’ve been a big fan of Kpop music for many years that’s what I listen to at the gym. Also I look into the exercises they do more than what they it because they have been on some unhealthy and crazy diets that are not good for you in the long run
    At the end of the day you have to eat and exercise in a way that keeps you healthy and most importantly works for you. I know you can achieve your goals
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    People have pointed out the health impacts of under eating, the restrict/binge risk of under eating, the unsustainability of under eating along with a host of other reasons to not under eat. So, if safe, effective, healthy and permanent weight loss doesn't motivate you to eat at a sustainable calorie deficit perhaps understanding that you're putting your dreams in peril will.

Under eating will negatively effect your muscularity which will lead to weakness and loss of co-ordination. Under eating will hamper your ability to perform dance moves, your ability to learn steps and put you at severe risk of injury preventing you from dancing at all.

Under eating will negatively effect your cognitive abilities which means your progress in guitar and vocals will be impacted and your progress in these areas will slow and possibly cease altogether. Diminished cognition will make it infinitely more difficult to learn and retain the music, lyrics and choreography you're trying to learn.

Under eating will negatively impact you neurologically (nervous system) so all the practice to embed the required muscle memory to dance, perform on the guitar and sing will also fail you.

Under eating will negatively impact your appearance. Your skin will deteriorate and look pallor, your hair will thin and fall out, you face will look gaunt (not thin, drawn and sickly), your eyes will develop dark rings.

Doing what you're doing is more likely to kill your dreams than see them come true.