What diary entry would you use: Baked sweet potato

2»

Replies

• HelsBels_76
    HelsBels_76 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2018
    Does it not also vary on how the sweet potato is cooked?
    I cooked sliced sweet potatoes recently (sweet potato crisps). They weighed 350g before and 108g after. I recorded them as 108g but think that’s wrong, as moisture loss would have been far greater, than cooking a whole potato. Anyone with any ideas on that ones, please?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Does it not also vary on how the sweet potato is cooked?
    I’m cooked sliced sweet potatoes recently (sweet potato crisps) They weighed 350g before and 108g after. I recorded them as 108g but think that’s wrong, as moister loss would have been far greater?? Anyone with any ideas on that ones, please?

Use the entry for raw and log 350g.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I didn't know eating sweet potato skin was a thing. Oh the drama.

Look what you've done! This will have to be moved to debates now :wink:

I don't eat the sweet potato skin, either. Sometimes I eat the skin on baked russet potatoes, sometimes I don't. I also always peel my carrots :tongue:
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    I've never thought of eating the sweet potato skin but now I have to try it. Don't know why I never thought of eating it.

I think the skin is the best part of a baked russet potato - I always save part of whatever topping I'm using specifically for the skins.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    edited February 2018
    So how do all you skin eaters log them, given that the USDA nutrient database cannot imagine the idea that anyone would be interested in the nutritional data for the skin?

And, @Kalex1975 , I find the idea of eating shrimp tails and shells much less off-putting than the idea of eating sweet potato skins. I mean, it's not something I do intentionally, but if I miss a bit of the shell or a couple legs when I'm peeling them, I don't spit them out.

I frequently eat edamame pods (intentionally) -- they're nice and chewy. But sweet potato skins? Nope.

11507, sweet potato, raw, unprepared.

Ditto. Weighed before cooked. Obviously.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Just make sure you scrub the he** out of those potatoes before baking and eating :s
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Never occured to me not to eat the skin, is delicious.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    I’ll have to try the sweet potato skins next time. They look so leathery that I’ve never tried them. If I read this thread 10 minutes sooner, I could have tried them tonight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Cooking makes a difference, they aren't any more leathery than potato skins, IME.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    +1 for skin eating
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    So how do all you skin eaters log them, given that the USDA nutrient database cannot imagine the idea that anyone would be interested in the nutritional data for the skin?

And, @Kalex1975 , I find the idea of eating shrimp tails and shells much less off-putting than the idea of eating sweet potato skins. I mean, it's not something I do intentionally, but if I miss a bit of the shell or a couple legs when I'm peeling them, I don't spit them out.

I frequently eat edamame pods (intentionally) -- they're nice and chewy. But sweet potato skins? Nope.

11507, sweet potato, raw, unprepared.

Ditto. Weighed before cooked. Obviously.

Now that I'm a sweet potato skin eater, that's the entry I'll use!
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Never occurred to me to eat the skin - have to try it next time. Actually looking forward to cooking with the skin as they are a pain in the a#$ to peel.
    The things you learn on MFP!
  • fitoverfortymom
    Never occurred to me to eat the skin - have to try it next time. Actually looking forward to cooking with the skin as they are a pain in the a#$ to peel.

I have been cutting it in half length-wise and then roasting it face-down on a piece of sprayed-foil on a cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Skin comes right off.
  • mimsywhimsy
    mimsywhimsy Posts: 9 Member
    The skin is delicious and full of nutrients! I eat them or give them to my dogs.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member

I have been cutting it in half length-wise and then roasting it face-down on a piece of sprayed-foil on a cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Skin comes right off.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Maybe you already know this, but even if you decide you don't enjoy eating the skin, it's far easier to scrub 'em up good, cook, then peel, unless the recipe requirements prevent that.

Even the maybe 10% or less of the time I'm making something that's better without skin in it, I cook then peel if possible, for ease. (And who am I kidding? I then eat the cooked skin on its own, as a cook's snack. ;) ).

Did not know that - thank you! Even though it's rather moot now that I plan to eat the skin, good to know an easier way to remove the skin.
    I repeat....the things you learn on MFP!
  • fitoverfortymom

AnnPT77 wrote: »

Maybe you already know this, but even if you decide you don't enjoy eating the skin, it's far easier to scrub 'em up good, cook, then peel, unless the recipe requirements prevent that.

Even the maybe 10% or less of the time I'm making something that's better without skin in it, I cook then peel if possible, for ease. (And who am I kidding? I then eat the cooked skin on its own, as a cook's snack. ;) ).

Did not know that - thank you! Even though it's rather moot now that I plan to eat the skin, good to know an easier way to remove the skin.
    I repeat....the things you learn on MFP!

I will eat the skin now, too. My cooking method also is a little faster than baking it whole. The easy peel is just a bonus.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member

I have always just baked them whole. After they're cooked, the skin peels away easily with your fingers (or a fork and dinner knife, if you don't want to get burned :smile: )

You can boil them whole and they peel easily afterwards as well. I only boil them if I'm making a big sweet potato cassserole.