Seeking advice then arguing with the answer

I'm relatively new here (this time around I've lost 14 pounds since the new year) but have learned a lot from reading posts and replies from more knowledgeable members.

I do however get slightly frustrated when people post questions, usually around lack of weight loss, then get all angsty when the answers offer solid advice like "it's probably water weight", "check your recording", "buy a food scale" and "be patient".

I understand it, I'd like one of you to give me a magic bullet for overnight weightloss too but I know that is not realistic.

I guess I just wanted to say how much the indirect help I've received so far is appreciated.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    14pounds? Nicely done :)
  • Lindsey_Ross
    Lindsey_Ross Posts: 17 Member
    Well said- I feel the same. Especially with coworkers.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Askhole:

"A person who constantly ask for your advice, yet always does the opposite of what you told them!"

OR

External Validation or "Fishing for compliments

"Asking questions for the intent to gather validation about their preconceived ideas rather than for objective feedback."

Fantastic Christine!---you nailed it!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    A lot of people don't like the answers. There's also an emotional part too about not being emotionally ready to do the work.

It's a bit ironic though, I've made some threads on these boards (mostly to vent really), and I got a lot of advice too, that I didn't necessarily ask for.... I'm sure I got people frustrated too because I turned down most of the advice... mostly things I tried and didn't work for me... although typically in my case it's really when I get frustrated that I end up venting on the boards, and I look for people who get it, not necessarily for advice...

So it kinda goes both way... empathy goes a long way. You don't know where people are mentally. Sometimes just acknowledging that it's a hard first step or something can be frustrating goes a long way.