What's on your mind?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I wish that MFP were operated like a lot of open forum sites where you were allowed to curse, have dissenting opinions and were openly allowed to discuss contentious topics (as long as it remained civil). I understand why they've taken away the option to discuss things like politics/religion/etc., but I think some of the folks here would be super interesting to have discussions with on those topics.

Hence why I don't just find a different forum for that avenue.. I rather like the people here, thank you.

We're allowed to do that. I do it all the time. If you're willing to trade in popularity for voicing an opinion that clashes with the commonly held opinions of Chit Chat and other forums at MFP, you're allowed to do it civilly. And you'll also be subjected to passive aggressive swipes in the Vague thread for it too.

Contentious topics (some even bordering on religion and politics) are allowed to be discussed in the Debate section. But you gotta be hardcore, unafraid of confrontation and back up your stuff. Also, they're not funny there but you're allowed to be funny if you want to lighten it up over there.

Maybe you like the people here precisely because you don't have contentious, profanity laced discussions with them in which you voice dissenting opinions. That's not rhetoric, I mean it for real.

Vague thread is passive aggressive, who knew?

Also, you always have such good insights!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    I wish that MFP were operated like a lot of open forum sites where you were allowed to curse, have dissenting opinions and were openly allowed to discuss contentious topics (as long as it remained civil). I understand why they've taken away the option to discuss things like politics/religion/etc., but I think some of the folks here would be super interesting to have discussions with on those topics.

Hence why I don't just find a different forum for that avenue.. I rather like the people here, thank you.

We're allowed to do that. I do it all the time. If you're willing to trade in popularity for voicing an opinion that clashes with the commonly held opinions of Chit Chat and other forums at MFP, you're allowed to do it civilly. And you'll also be subjected to passive aggressive swipes in the Vague thread for it too.

Contentious topics (some even bordering on religion and politics) are allowed to be discussed in the Debate section. But you gotta be hardcore, unafraid of confrontation and back up your stuff. Also, they're not funny there but you're allowed to be funny if you want to lighten it up over there.

Maybe you like the people here precisely because you don't have contentious, profanity laced discussions with them in which you voice dissenting opinions. That's not rhetoric, I mean it for real.

post reported.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Suns out guns out
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Time for some new ink.

I drew a potato cowboy yesterday.

You should get that tattooed on your face.

I 2nd this. So... this means you pretty much have to now. Also since we are both from different countries that means the international community is backing this idea.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member

Religion is a big set off in here, we get reports all the time on posts where users are just looking for same religion friends, not even really discussing religion.

Politics and religion pretty much always end up a moderating nightmare though (people just can't remain civil on the internet), hence the inclusion in the guidelines.

Yes and that's quite sad to me. Sad that my six year old son can moderate his emotions and remain civil better than most people who are three or more times his age. :sweat:
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member

Isn't MFP passive aggressive enough with the "Woo" option and other thread swipes without really needing it to be necessary in the Vague thread?

As for the people here, no.. I adamantly believe that some of you could be really fun, engaging and civil minded in a debate. Not all, but a good amount of you.
    _barefoot_ wrote: »
    I come on here to get away from the real world so I am glad they have rules on heavy topics .

Some of us have very little contact with the outside world on a regular basis, so I come here to actually talk with people. My other venues have all dried up and moving constantly means I never have time to make new connections with people IRL.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2

Isn't MFP passive aggressive enough with the "Woo" option and other thread swipes without really needing it to be necessary in the Vague thread?

As for the people here, no.. I adamantly believe that some of you could be really fun, engaging and civil minded in a debate. Not all, but a good amount of you.
    _barefoot_ wrote: »
    I come on here to get away from the real world so I am glad they have rules on heavy topics .

Some of us have very little contact with the outside world on a regular basis, so I come here to actually talk with people. My other venues have all dried up and moving constantly means I never have time to make new connections with people IRL.

New Group: Exploring the universe with CanesGalactica. Sounds perfect :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Put me out of my misery

I offered a while back and you got all upset.....
  • 4legsRbetterthan2

Then debate away. It's allowed. You said it wasn't. Maybe lurk in the debate section for a bit to get the flavor of it first.

If you prefer communication to be direct within the guidelines of civility, rather than passive, really, you can take the initiative - even here in Chit Chat.

The Vague thread and the woo button aren't the only fertile ground for passive hints and swipes. There's the I Confess thread and the What's on Your Mind threads too. I've been passive aggressive on all those threads myself because sometimes I just can't be civil and I know it. I'm trying to stay out of MFP jail of course, like everybody else.

What topics would interest you for debate or what subjects would you be most interested in posting very direct opinions about?

I think she is specifically talking about a religious or political based debates not being allowed.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    @WorkerDrone83 you are doing an excellent job

although I am sure whomever the noob was is wondering why you sign off "just doing my job".
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member

although I am sure whomever the noob was is wondering why you sign off "just doing my job".

Thanks!
    Well, you get what you pay for.

~ Dead or alive, you’re coming with me.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2

Thanks!
    Well, you get what you pay for.

~ Dead or alive, you’re coming with me.

humm I need to take a page outta your book
  • Put me out of my misery

It'll grow back squish!