Death Ride

Hello everyone,
I will be riding my first Death Ride this July 14. I currently ride 3 days a week for 120 miles. Anyone else wiling to join me on this journey? I will appreciate any words of encouragement or advice. Love and Live life to the fullest each breath.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    I am not willing to join you, no idea what a 'Death Ride' is.
    Could you tell us all more about it, and where it happens, so we know what we are cheering for.

Cheers, h.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    holy crap no way thatd hurt so much LOL. Goodluck!

• THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    Never heard of this... death ride, but it sounds painful. :D
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Sounds great - I'd love to do something like that, but we just don't have that kind of elevation around here.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Sounds delightful--hope you live through it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Sounds like an epic ride.
    I do Audax events but I'm in the UK. My annual similar length event only has about 8,000' of elevation though as we don't have mountains in my part of England, we just have the North and South Downs - which are ups not downs!

zo9tgbmho7o1.png

My advice would be to plan your nutrition carefully and practice your eating/fuelling/hydration plan on your long training rides before the event.
    And invest in good cycle shorts of course....

You might be interested in contributing to the monthly cycling challenge thread which can be found here....
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10641587/february-2018-biking-cycling-bicycling-bike-bicycle-unicycle-tricycle-challenge#latest

Best of luck.
  • Machka9
    sancheaa wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    I will be riding my first Death Ride this July 14. I currently ride 3 days a week for 120 miles. Anyone else wiling to join me on this journey? I will appreciate any words of encouragement or advice. Love and Live life to the fullest each breath.
    The Death Ride occurs in the California Alps. The course includes 5 major climbs. Monitor Pass both sides and Ebbetts Pass both sides and the final climb is Carson Pass. The five pass ride includes 129 miles and 15,000+ feet of lung busting climbing.

Are you including hill repeats in your training anywhere?

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Hello everyone,

Is this Markleeville? Respect! When you get that jersey, wear it proudly!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited February 2018
    The Death Ride occurs in the California Alps. The course includes 5 major climbs. Monitor Pass both sides and Ebbetts Pass both sides and the final climb is Carson Pass. The five pass ride includes 129 miles and 15,000+ feet of lung busting climbing.

Whooa!

Beautiful route that I've driven/ridden in/on a sports car/motorcycle.

No way I'd try that on a bicycle but kudos to you and anyone else who can.

Good luck!
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    I’ve never heard the Sierras called the California Alps before lol. Do I live under a rock? I’ll make a mental note to stay off the passes that day. Those are some darn skinny roads you guys are riding and you don’t need any more cars!!
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Reminds me of many years ago. I lived in northern New Jersey, suburbs of New York City. In prepping for an extended cycling tour of Maine, I "got my hill work in" by cycling up to the Palisades, a granite escarpment that looms over the Hudson River, but otherwise essentially flat after the climb up. I stupidly never stopped to think: Maine. Consists. Of. Many. Many. Hills.

You can imagine my sorry surprise during the trip. All worked out, and my ego was appropriately resized.

And, Eastern seaboard hills and mountains "ain't half" of what the West Coast has.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Quite a few of the people I cycle with make the yearly pilgrimage to this one: http://www.ridetherockies.com/route/
    (I wouldn't make it. Steep downhills also terrify me).
  • ritzvin
    sijomial wrote: »
    And invest in good cycle shorts of course....

..and maybe disc brakes. (blowing out tires due to excessive heat to rims from brake friction is a frequent concern I've heard from those doing mountain rides).
  • ritzvin
    and good luck. =)
  • Machka9
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Reminds me of many years ago. I lived in northern New Jersey, suburbs of New York City. In prepping for an extended cycling tour of Maine, I "got my hill work in" by cycling up to the Palisades, a granite escarpment that looms over the Hudson River, but otherwise essentially flat after the climb up. I stupidly never stopped to think: Maine. Consists. Of. Many. Many. Hills.

You can imagine my sorry surprise during the trip. All worked out, and my ego was appropriately resized.

And, Eastern seaboard hills and mountains "ain't half" of what the West Coast has.

Yeah ... I'm a west coast Canadian, used to climbing the Rockies. I did 800 km of the Boston-Montreal-Boston when it used to be run, and those hills were something else entirely!

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,981 Member
    Good luck!

I'll admit, zero interest in joining in though LOL. I prefer my "death rides" a little faster ;)

Beautiful roads up there, amazing scenery. I won't be up there without a motor (at least not by choice LOL).
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,062 Member
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Yeah ... I'm a west coast Canadian, used to climbing the Rockies. I did 800 km of the Boston-Montreal-Boston when it used to be run, and those hills were something else entirely!

"Them's some hills!" I lived for a while outside Seattle, and have seen the Rockies at various latitudes. And the Cascades, Olympics, etc. I have to respect anyone who's climbed any of them; I've driven over them several times. I recently watched "Inspired to Ride" on Netflix, a film about a Transamerica race with a Rockies crossing. I don't think that's in me to do. Thousands of feet vertically is a lot different than flat miles.

My older daughter has moved to Ottawa (love takes you different places, I guess). If all works out with my biking growth this year, in an Autumn trip up there, I'm thinking I can have my wife drop me a bit west of Montreal and I can ride some of the nice bikeways into Ottawa on a self-supported "motel tour" of a few days. But they follow the river, so that'd be pretty flat. Anyway, early planning (dreaming?) stages anyway.