Binge eating

How do you personally get over the urge to binge

Replies

• 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    I've struggled with BED all my life.
    I've made a rule that I track food before I eat it. That puts the possible setback in perspective. I still binge like 1x one or two months, but I used to binge like hardcore around 5500kcals of daily kcals (my maintenance is around 1700) . Now I never go past 3800kcal and the binges keep getting rarer and smaller every time.

Great strategy!
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    1houndgal wrote: »
    For myself, I have learned certain foods seem to be ones I cant eat in moderation, that "one bite leads to many more".
    That's so true. I have to remind myself at the store " You know how this will end" when standing in front of crisps or ice cream.

Ha! I talk to the trigger foods also. Sometimes I talk to whole aisles of food or sections of food (like the bakery section).
  • mdcar1
    mdcar1 Posts: 8 Member
    I recommend reading the book Never Binge Again by Dr Glenn Livingston. It's changed my bingeing life
  • CheatinLil
    CheatinLil Posts: 71 Member
    There is a button we have that is called the IDC button. The I don't care button. Don't push that button! Also, my cheat days, I try and just cheat 280 calories so when I complete my diary I still lose weight in 5 weeks even while cheating.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited February 2018
    By enduring “it” and not reacting, each time we follow an urge we make it stronger, I know if feels SO bad but it gets better...eventually :D Good Luck!
    To me a real Binge is not even about the food it’s just a bad habit...
  • Mikeyiscool182
    Mikeyiscool182 Posts: 35 Member
    Rivvvy wrote: »
    How do you personally get over the urge to binge

I avoid the foods I can’t stop eating. If you put popcorn or skittles in front of me I’ll end up eating all of it, all of the time.

• xxparodistxx
    xxparodistxx Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2018
    As a bulimic who's attempting recovery, I plan ahead. I set my eating windows a decent amount of time apart and try to keep a pattern.

I eat nutrient-dense low cal foods, and binge on those instead.

• bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    I avoid buying the foods I know I cannot stop eating. Once in a while I go wild though, log it all and move on. I will also accept that a whole container of Americone ice cream once in a few months will not kill me, and makes a perfectly fine dinner.
  • CheatinLil wrote: »
    There is a button we have that is called the IDC button. The I don't care button. Don't push that button! Also, my cheat days, I try and just cheat 280 calories so when I complete my diary I still lose weight in 5 weeks even while cheating.

How is this strategy working for your weight loss?
  • CheatinLil
    CheatinLil Posts: 71 Member
    edited February 2018
    The 1st 2 weeks (this time) I didn't loose a pound. I had my calories set to about 1560 to loose 1/2 pound a week. Then I switched it to 1 pound a week at 1360 calories a week. Now my cheat days (1 or 2 days a week) I eat 1560-1580 calories. I've lost 5 pounds in 3 weeks. I may have misspoke. It looks like my cheat day is 220 max calories over not 280. So far so good. I will keep doing it till I plateau then try something else. In other words, back in the day, my binging/cheat day would be 1000 calories in one meal of the day!
  • witcherkar
    witcherkar Posts: 138 Member
    edited February 2018
    Honestly, I have Binge Eating Disorder and take Vyvanse for it (the only FDA approved med for it). It makes my brain forget about food, makes it easy to say no, makes me have a smaller appetite, l lose cravings.
    Only when im really emotional do i binge and so i usually keep thing that i would binge on out of the house. Then ill get mad and slam cupboards and doors because i cant help my emotions with food. Then i seek comfort from my SDiT or i color and listen to my meditation app called Calm.
    If i still need the urge to chew and "eat" then i get gum or my favorite, ice. I can eat ice all day.
    Hope this helps?
  • flosoup24
    flosoup24 Posts: 44 Member
    am following here as I struggle with binging and haven't found a way out yet :( Im just getting bigger and bigger and the binges are becoming worse.
  • lexington88
    lexington88 Posts: 29 Member
    bfanny wrote: »
    To me a real Binge is not even about the food it’s just a bad habit...

I agree with this. I've binged on foods I don't even enjoy in the past, just because I want to eat something, even though my stomach is protesting and I feel sick. For me, it's more about the ritual of eating than the foods I'm eating, even if it starts with a craving for a specific food.

As for advice on how to beat it, I'm still working on it myself! I go through virtuous periods where I don't even think about binging, and then something triggers a binge and I'm having full on binges two or three times a week for a month or more. I'm working on fighting the urge, and have started trying to use meditation to curb a binge when I feel it coming on. It's working so far, but I might just be in one of my virtuous periods. It's really too soon to tell!

Feel free to add me if you fancy some accountability in trying to beat this together
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Tricks - keeping busy and jaw breakers/hard candy

Long term - I started by trying to recognize when it was happening so I could, hopefully, keep it from getting really out of hand. As I got better at that, I started sensing when a binge was coming. I'm still working on that, though.

But based on your post history, I think you may do better trying to be a bit more balanced and moderated overall, working on patience, and having appropriate expectations. But that's probably easier said than done. Balance has never been a close friend of mine, which is part of the reason I struggle with binging at times.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I have multiple teens at home, so there are always snacks/desserts around and it isn't unusual for them to disappear quickly; it's like a setup for failure unless I exercise a lot of self control. I have been logging everything while I have been losing and I made the weight loss goal a focus that I probably obsess too much about, which is pretty much fighting fire with fire.

I have also noticed that some things I binged on are things that I don't really care that much for. I was the guy who wolfed down more than his share of the break room donuts. Now I could be one of the people who takes a quarter of a cut up one, but I don't really crave them.