Shiritaki "miracle", "smart" "konjac" noodles, who loves them?

Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
I'm sure there have been threads on them before, but I wanted to learn more ideas for how to cook (simply) with them. My favorite way to eat them is just pan fried with pesto and spinach.

Does anyone else eat them, and how?

Replies

• carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    I haven't had them in quite a while (thanks for the reminder to buy some!) but I used to rinse them and boil and use with pasta sauce and meat! But I like the idea of pan frying them!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    carlsoda wrote: »
    I haven't had them in quite a while (thanks for the reminder to buy some!) but I used to rinse them and boil and use with pasta sauce and meat! But I like the idea of pan frying them!
    I really enjoy them pan fried with Costco pesto. It sorta... melts on them. YUM.

I've also recently made Pho with them. That was spectacular.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I considered purchasing them but am always reminded of people indicating how bad they smell when the bag is opened so have refrained from purchasing. A quick google search didn't show anything regarding nutritional value for them. Do they have any nutrients or are they simply a low carb, low calorie alternative to pasta for which to cover/mix with nutrient dense tasty sauces (for fiber and volume).

I'm not knocking them. I'm one who has purchased a bunch of Explore Cuisine "bean" pastas out of curiosity. Unfortunately I've deemed most of them "blech". Do the miracle noodles taste good, in your opinion? Are they tasteless so do not interfer with the taste of whatever is added to them?

I've read that pan frying (dry) is the way to go with them for improved texture. True?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    I have yet to ever buy these. I just never missed noodles or rice, when I can usually just smother veggies with the sauce instead for yumminess. Do they have a special property of being super filling? Cuz I could get behind something like that.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    I've never been able to eat those, the consistency is just so off to me. I have been eating edamame and black bean pasta a lot lately. High in fiber so the net carbs is decent. I eat it with chicken and pesto. I've been thinking about doing it with hot sauce and crumbled blue cheese too. I feel like that would be really good.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I love shiritaki noodles...the thin ones that are like ramen size...they are made from konjac yam, and they smell weird because of the liquid they are packed in, the noodles themselves do not have a scent, or much of a taste...you need to rinse and rinse and rinse them (much like sauerkraut) in order to get the packing crud off them...my grandmother also lets them dry after, but I don't...the texture is more crisp than wheat noodles, more similar to zoodle or other plant-type noodle substitutes...I usually just melt cheese on them, but the pesto thing is sounding amazing, so I might have to try that...I have tried the thicker noodles sizes, but I don't like them as much as the thin ones, to be fair, I like thinner regular pasta noodles too, so it might just be an overall preference.

I love the flavor of black bean pasta...unfortunately they don't sell it at costco anymore, so I never eat it...maybe I'll wander over to wegman's and get some...I'm sure they have it, they have everything...
  • kpk54
    I've never been able to eat those, the consistency is just so off to me. I have been eating edamame and black bean pasta a lot lately. High in fiber so the net carbs is decent. I eat it with chicken and pesto. I've been thinking about doing it with hot sauce and crumbled blue cheese too. I feel like that would be really good.

Yes. That's the route I've taken as a trial. Green Bean Fettucine, Edamame and Mung Bean Fettucini, Adzuki Bean Spaghetti, Chickpea Shells. I purchased them over a month ago and have yet to do more than sample each, 1 time. I don't think I'll be purchasing any again but will never say never. They're decent for something different for me but not something I'd serve to guests.
  • auntstephie321
    kpk54 wrote: »

Yes. That's the route I've taken as a trial. Green Bean Fettucine, Edamame and Mung Bean Fettucini, Adzuki Bean Spaghetti, Chickpea Shells. I purchased them over a month ago and have yet to do more than sample each, 1 time. I don't think I'll be purchasing any again but will never say never. They're decent for something different for me but not something I'd serve to guests.

yeah I bought mine last year at aldi when they had them, just to have on hand. Then I ran out of lunch stuff and grabbed a box cuz they are easy to cook in the microwave and added what I had and found I really like it a lot. So now I think i'll be ordering a bunch more to have on hand. 25 grams of protein per serving too which is fantastic, and like 11 net carbs
  • auntstephie321
    I love shiritaki noodles...the thin ones that are like ramen size...they are made from konjac yam, and they smell weird because of the liquid they are packed in, the noodles themselves do not have a scent, or much of a taste...you need to rinse and rinse and rinse them (much like sauerkraut) in order to get the packing crud off them...my grandmother also lets them dry after, but I don't...the texture is more crisp than wheat noodles, more similar to zoodle or other plant-type noodle substitutes...I usually just melt cheese on them, but the pesto thing is sounding amazing, so I might have to try that...I have tried the thicker noodles sizes, but I don't like them as much as the thin ones, to be fair, I like thinner regular pasta noodles too, so it might just be an overall preference.

I love the flavor of black bean pasta...unfortunately they don't sell it at costco anymore, so I never eat it...maybe I'll wander over to wegman's and get some...I'm sure they have it, they have everything...

my wegmans sells them. I found you can get them on thrive too for a decent price. sometimes aldi has it too that's where I got it last time, just have to stalk the specials and stock up when they have them lol
  • kpk54
    I feel like I am reading the Volume Eaters Thread. :) That too, is not meant to be a negative. I've gotten some really good ideas there because frankly, even after nearly 5 years into this, there are times when I have an appreciation for a little "volume" in my stomach without the calories. Perhaps it is a desire to be able to say, "That's a lot of food and I wasn't able to eat it all". Perhaps that relates back to the video I posted in another thread. Or not. Always learning.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    I use these at times if I want something different. I agree about the smell when you open the packet and you do need to rinse them and when you cook with them add lots of salt even if you think what you are going to put them with has enough salt! I usually pan fry with a little olive oil and salt then add whatever pasta sauce or whatever I've made and reheat the whole lot together so they take on more flavour. The texture is a little bouncy but I don't mind it. I tend to have them about once a month and not more often as I keep thinking someone is going to say one of these days that they aren't that good for you! They are very low carb and low calorie though and make a change, just so long as you don't think they are going to taste like homemade egg pasta........... :'(
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    There's also a tofu variety that has a different texture. While the shirataki are more suited to asian dishes, the tofu seems more suited to italian...
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    I would say love is a strong word but my wife and I use them in soup and with ground beef/veg substituting for spaghetti. A nice alternative to zucchini.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    I love them and have them about twice a week. I have them cooked in garlic butter with prawns. Also with mince like a spag bol. Also creamy bacon cabonnara. Pan fried is the best. I have just found them in lasagne sheets so keen to give that a go to.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    I love them and have them about twice a week. I have them cooked in garlic butter with prawns. Also with mince like a spag bol. Also creamy bacon cabonnara. Pan fried is the best. I have just found them in lasagne sheets so keen to give that a go to.

The other day hubs made mapo tofu and I couldn't "afford" rice, so I diced the shirataki. It made a damned fine base for the mapo tofu.
  • xosummerrainxo
    xosummerrainxo Posts: 112 Member
    Where do you find these at in the grocery store?
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    @Sabine_Stroehm What brand is the tufo one? I've not seen it here in the UK but I may be able to get it online. thanks
  • lowil44
    lowil44 Posts: 21 Member
    I've tried them a couple of times and I'm not crazy about them. And yes, I did rinse, boil briefly and pan fry them as directed, still meh... Edible rubber bands comes to mind.

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Where do you find these at in the grocery store?

In Wegmans they are in the specialty refrigerated area where they keep all the gluten free and vegetarian/vegan foods. In my store this is the refrigerated aisles next to produce, but not sure if they are all set up the same.