Show me the money!!

Replies

• huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    We have joint checking and savings accounts. We both pay bills. I stop off at the bank or atm to get our spending cash. She typically does our taxes but they’re not complicated and I could do the turbo tax too. Neither one of us are spendaholics so we don’t need to “discuss” most purchases. It’s worked for over 30 years.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Allowance? Nobody told me about this
  • Buff_Man
    I'm not doing that thing with the bottle and rubber glove
  • Iron_Muscle_
    Iron_Muscle_ Posts: 5,095 Member
    I just need someone to manage mine for me. I’m too lazy to do it. Any takers???
  • Buff_Man
    @gottabeeleighv will do it for favours
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    My wife handles the household finances. We both handle our own personal finances.

We have several bank accounts. We are both on all of them, but there is one account just for Household stuff and we both contribute equally.

Allowance? We both have done well in our careers and both of us are financially secure. We rarely discuss money until just recently, and that is because we are retiring in 2019 and we are trying to make sure we are debt free at that time.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2018
    Im a grown *kitten* woman and I make my own money, I aint gotta ask nobody for nothing

So, you got no advice for my friend?

2 pages later, if you are still interested.

Not sure what the situation is for your friend. If they are a kid an asking parents for an allowance I think they are just at the mercy of the parents. Otherwise, get a job.

If its a husband wife and someone is SAHP then I think its fair to approach the household income as belonging to both. Pay the bill, blah blah, evenly split the fun money left over.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    My dh and I have a joint bank account. I pay the bills and make a budget. We discuss the budget.
    There is no allowance. We both have access to all the money.
    If dh wants to buy something he does. If I want to buy something I buy it. Generally we would discuss spending larger amounts.

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    My dh and I have a joint bank account. I pay the bills and make a budget. We discuss the budget.
    There is no allowance. We both have access to all the money.
    If dh wants to buy something he does. If I want to buy something I buy it. Generally we would discuss spending larger amounts.

You are very good to your dh
  • Ironandwine69
    Okay guys. I think I will just tell my mom I need more money. Thanks all
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Joint everything. Everything is in both of our names. We have no allowance. If something is a BIG purchase, it's discussed before. Small purchases for ourselves, we spend within reason. For him & I, it would not work to just be oblivious or excluded from the finances. It's a responsibility, one we share.
  • I do. Well it's either that or my 5 year old.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Okay guys. I think I will just tell my mom I need more money. Thanks all

Ugh I KNEW it!
  • THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    I make the $ my wife is a stay at home mom.

I buy what I want. But I am cheap so I don't buy anything. I do want a dirt bike but I will wait for my mid life crisis to buy that.

She just found out IKEA ships to our area. -$

Help me. :/
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I will answer your questions later on tonight, first I gotta take my Bugatti for a spin.
  • roge0195
    roge0195 Posts: 23 Member
    We use YNAB (You Need A Budget). Best thing that ever happened to our finances.
  • Ironandwine69
    I make the $ my wife is a stay at home mom.

I buy what I want. But I am cheap so I don't buy anything. I do want a dirt bike but I will wait for my mid life crisis to buy that.

She just found out IKEA ships to our area. -$

Help me. :/

Haha you are *kitten*!