Girl Scouts' Cookies

Replies

• tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    Thanks to all who are supporting their local Girl Scouts by purchasing cookies. The girls learn so many important skills by participating in the cookie program. And ...the cookies are yummy! I buy a few boxes to have at home, and I ask the girl if she could donate other boxes to a local food pantry or to the soldiers. When she says yes she can donate them to a good cause, then I buy a few more boxes. I’m a pretty good customer. I also think Boy Scout popcorn is great too, but I guess that is for another thread.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    I could never understand how people ate a whole sleeve of Thin Mints at a time. The minty-ness always only made me want to eat one or two before I was satisfied. :/
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    @janejellyroll I've lived in the same region my whole life and have been eating these for 20 years. And they were labeled Tagalongs. I feel so betrayed!

@Aplant77 The lack of temptation is the only silver lining. After I ate the one sad one, I put it out and my coworkers ate the rest.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    I kept telling myself the tagalongs were getting smaller and not worth the calories anymore but then there was that box...all refrigerated and open and come hithery...so 5 tagalongs later.... :)
  • Jessiedawn3
    Jessiedawn3 Posts: 38 Member
    I am a cookie manager for 10 troops, and we had ours all delivered to us yesterday.... After unloading and sorting 1400+ CASES of these I am completely turned off of them! LOL. This is probably a good thing as I have about 50 cases sitting in my basement to use at our booth sales so they are definetly easily accessible. On the other hand, I had the best workout of my life with delivery day!
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    I kept telling myself the tagalongs were getting smaller and not worth the calories anymore but then there was that box...all refrigerated and open and come hithery...so 5 tagalongs later.... :)

If you smeared some peanut butter on the top and then maybe dipped in in chocolate again, it would be worth the calories...haha.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    First year that I have not bought any GS cookies.
    I have to admit that I have been craving Thin Mints and Trefoils, but so far have resisted the cookie booths.
    I definitely would eat the whole box of cookies
  • glassyo
    ValeriePlz wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »

If you smeared some peanut butter on the top and then maybe dipped in in chocolate again, it would be worth the calories...haha.

Is that like a tagalong inception?
  • roge0195
    roge0195 Posts: 23 Member
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I don't know any girl scouts, nor did I see any of them selling any, so I am cookie-less. I think people buy a ton of them because they only come out once a year and that makes them a special treat. In terms of quality, they are just a cookie and I can get better tasting cookies year around at a bakery. However, I still love Trefoils, and I'd gladly take a box if I can get my hands on one.

I have a 3rd grader Brownie. My garage has a pallet of cases of cookies I have to sell (or pay for). I would gladly sell you cookies...

I live in a smaller town and we are saturated with girls selling. There are 4 girls selling on my block alone. And we have booths on the weekends outside of the Walmart and all 3 grocery stores. It’s insane. It makes me want to pull her out of Girl Scouts (except I know I’ll change my mind when cookie season is over and we get to do fun stuff again). When I was a kid I took orders and then distributed those cookies a few weeks later. My parents did not take on financial risk from $500 worth of inventory they weren’t sure they could sell. If I wanted to earn money so my mom would let me go to the more expensive summer GS camp I walked more blocks and knocked on more doors. I have to drive my kid around because she needs 8 cases of cookies at the ready to fulfill orders in my trunk.

The booths are a good learning and confidence experience (they learn to count change and add up totals in their head, and identify job roles to divide the work between the girls, talk politely and clearly with strangers, etc.). But there are so many of them...how many cookies can one town eat?!?!?!
  • glassyo
    roge0195 wrote: »
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I don't know any girl scouts, nor did I see any of them selling any, so I am cookie-less. I think people buy a ton of them because they only come out once a year and that makes them a special treat. In terms of quality, they are just a cookie and I can get better tasting cookies year around at a bakery. However, I still love Trefoils, and I'd gladly take a box if I can get my hands on one.

I have a 3rd grader Brownie. My garage has a pallet of cases of cookies I have to sell (or pay for). I would gladly sell you cookies...

I live in a smaller town and we are saturated with girls selling. There are 4 girls selling on my block alone. And we have booths on the weekends outside of the Walmart and all 3 grocery stores. It’s insane. It makes me want to pull her out of Girl Scouts (except I know I’ll change my mind when cookie season is over and we get to do fun stuff again). When I was a kid I took orders and then distributed those cookies a few weeks later. My parents did not take on financial risk from $500 worth of inventory they weren’t sure they could sell. If I wanted to earn money so my mom would let me go to the more expensive summer GS camp I walked more blocks and knocked on more doors. I have to drive my kid around because she needs 8 cases of cookies at the ready to fulfill orders in my trunk.

The booths are a good learning and confidence experience (they learn to count change and add up totals in their head, and identify job roles to divide the work between the girls, talk politely and clearly with strangers, etc.). But there are so many of them...how many cookies can one town eat?!?!?!

I see people selling on ebay.

Actually....does your region carry Trios? Those are the only "new" ones I haven't tried yet but want to and ebay and amazon prices are unreasonably high.
  • icanmovemountains
    icanmovemountains Posts: 100 Member
    I recently ate a whole box of thin mints all by myself... oops?
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    I like all of the flavors. I am glad I haven't seen anyone selling them down here.
  • SAHNinja
    SAHNinja Posts: 84 Member
    I cant seem to go anywhere without seeing them selling. I hate telling the girls no, but I cant keep buying from them because I don't have the will power just yet
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Whatever you do, don't crush up Thin Mints and sprinkle them over vanilla ice cream. >:)

Or take a tiny bite out of each side and use one as an odd circular straw for drinking coffee (until it disintegrates, which will be soon - so you'll need another.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    SAHNinja wrote: »
    I cant seem to go anywhere without seeing them selling. I hate telling the girls no, but I cant keep buying from them because I don't have the will power just yet

They'll probably accept a buck or two as a pure donation. At least that works with super cute Cub Scouts selling the popcorn I don't really like. ;)
  • dubrockpete
    dubrockpete Posts: 5 Member
    Haha I always just buy the thin mints. The scouts were out last week and I had to buy two boxes but I’m doing well eating just 2 cookies (half a serving) per day.