Finally looking forward to shopping/ struggling with your new size

SkylerisSquid
SkylerisSquid Posts: 17 Member
I have lost 75 pounds entered onederland and finally find myself enjoying shopping again.
Plus size fashion was definitely one of my interests for a long time I struggled with my desire to both be cofident and plus sized and advocate for the community I felt so strongly for as well as my desire to go up a flight of stairs without being out of breathe. I opted for the latter and I gotta say despite how much dieting sucks bathing suit shopping is much more pleasant. I find that I rarely don't like something I put on any longer because I no longer find myself trying to hide the shape of my body.
But I still find myself shopping in the plus size section while online and buying it and realizing it's way to big but I also don't feel like I should be able to shop straight sized since I hadn't ever been able to. At 11 I was in the junior plus section it's just my comfort zone. So the other day I bought this pair of jean shorts(online) and I am still absolutely in love with them but, I bought them in a size 16 because some irrational part of my brain told me that is my size and it had been for a long time even as I was growing out of it (I told people who asked I was a 16 even while wearing 18). But in reality those shorts will not fit me I've tried they are still lovely but I wear a size 12 in most pants so they never really had a chance.
This really got off the topic I originally intended it to be.

Replies

• PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Congratulations!!! I am so excited for you!!!

Just wait until you buy bras.... You will be blown away at the difference in what is available and now much more comfortable they are.
  • SkylerisSquid
    SkylerisSquid Posts: 17 Member
    Congratulations!!! I am so excited for you!!!

Just wait until you buy bras.... You will be blown away at the difference in what is available and now much more comfortable they are.

Eh I've always had a modest chest with a band that could be found at any retailer so that's not much fun. Though I bought six bras when VS had a sale because for the first time they weren't immediately sold out of my size.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    I love Victoria's Secret. I dropped from a 42DDD to a 36DDD and it's always exciting to find stuff in my size.
  • roge0195
    roge0195 Posts: 23 Member
    I am on a bra rampage right now. Afraid to do my finances later this month and see the damage...
    It is amazing what a difference a well fitting bra does though, for both comfort and style.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Bra shopping became way more difficult for me - I went from a 42DD to a (currently) 32G, and can only find very expensive bras in that size at the moment!

OP, I struggled with the idea of going into "normal" stores as well... it was something I was really looking forward to, but when I got out of the plus sizes I felt like I didn't belong in regular stores either. I felt as though the store clerks would somehow see me as a fraud who was really just a fat girl in disguise! I would peer curiously into the store and then scurry away before anyone saw me, ashamed for daring to think that I might one day go inside and find something to fit me.

What really helped me to get comfortable with trying smaller sizes was to haunt my local thrift store. Clothing boutiques were intimidating (they still are, although I bought my first item from one just a couple of weeks ago!), but the thrift store is very relaxed and I can just pick out a bunch of random things in different sizes to try on. It's also a great way to test out different looks that you might not otherwise think to try, just to see how they look on you. I now own a handful of outfits that I never would have considered wearing until recently! I feel like I'm finally beginning to discover my own "style", at the tender age of 52... ;)

I often pick up things in stores that I know are my size but think "there's no way that's going to fit me - it looks way too small!" I'm scared to try things on sometimes, believing that I won't be able to zip up the jeans or I'll get stuck trying to pull on a top and damage it, but I'm slowly getting more comfortable with it and starting to enjoy it.

I also have a variety of sizes in my closet, due to the differences between brands and so on... I have tops from Small to XL that all fit me well, and pants from 10 to 14. My latest goal jeans - an absolute bargain from the thrift store! - are a size 8 and I can do them up if I suck everything in, but there's no way I can actually wear them yet. Even so, just a year ago I never would have dared to think I'd own a single-digit-size item of clothing. Experimenting with clothes has given me confidence to try new looks and to believe that one day I will wear those jeans - and look good in them! :)
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    This is exactly why I have been looking into making my own underwear. 1) it's cheaper and 2) it will fit better
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I'm in 34 DDs and I buy cheap ones on Amazon because I refuse to spend $40 for a bra, lol. Pretty generic brands like Bali are seriously 40% cheaper there if you're not too picky about the style and color. I've bought a bunch for $20 or less.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    edited February 2018
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    I also have a variety of sizes in my closet, due to the differences between brands and so on... I have tops from Small to XL that all fit me well, and pants from 10 to 14.

Gotta love the inconsistencies in sizing.

Pro tip... go to thrift stores and garage sales in the wealthiest areas of town. The prices are the same as in other areas of town and the clothes are much nicer... vanity sizing is rampant there but once you get a feel for what looks like your size you'll be fine. I got a leather jacket for $3 and several pairs of designer jeans and t-shirts for $1 each from one house's garage sale and it was all in great shape.

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    I used to live in a town in the UK that was fairly affluent (I, personally, was not!), and the thrift stores had great clothes! The town I live in here has only one thrift store and one or two consignment places. But, I did snag a pair of Not Your Daughter's Jeans for a mere $2 at the thrift store (my size 8 goal jeans), which I figure was an awesome deal! I've seen leather jackets there too, but not in my size.

I might have to check out garage sales in the estate-homes-areas when the season rolls around... :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Thrift stores here are just as expensive as new stuff from Target or Kohls' on sale. So frustrating.