VEGANS WELCOME

HI! Trying to find my vegan pals here. I'm mostly vegan, sometimes have meat once a week as a delicacy.

Replies

• Plant based since 2017 :) love being V . I get heaps of recipes from Pinterest and there’s some great cookbooks available online with quick raw vegan recipes and ideas. I love the smith and daughters book , Monami frost’s book ,
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    A was almost pregnant once :|

Aren't you a guy? Seems to be an apt comparison.

I'm not even a vegetarian, much less a vegan, and I find it offensive for someone who eats meat once week ("as a delicacy," no less), to describe himself as "mostly vegan."

That's like saying, "I'm mostly Christian, sometimes go to the weekly Satan worship." Or, "I'm nostly pacificist, sometimes I like to shoot somebody just to watch them die."

Other people's deeply held ethical beliefs aren't fads to be appropriated just so you dilute their meaning and purpose.

Well said.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    kaypee65 wrote: »
    Rough crowd! Not all plant based eaters make that decision for the same reason. I eat mostly plant based because I believe it's healthier. But I still use fish sauce in my Thai curries.

I love Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Her recipes are generally easy and delicious. Post Pink Kitchen

If he had said "plant-based," there would be no issue. "Vegan" implies an ethical position.

And not eating meat once per week as a delicacy. Oh my god I just laughed a little. I needed that.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 874 Member
    My protein comes from natural sources. Deer/Turkey/Bear & the fish I catch. :)
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    Hi, I am Plant-based. I will supplement with diary if I am not hitting my calcium, but am trying to build up to 100% plant-based. I am on 1200 cals, so it takes a lot of thought to get all the micronutrients in.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Feel free to friend me. I try to be vegan for ethical, environmental reasons but screw up. No criticism, just doing the best I can.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I'm with kaypee65. Bit harsh, guys. Perhaps we can all agree that he just used the wrong choice of wording and let it go? I think anyone that makes an effort to eat mostly vegan (or plant-based or whatever you want to call it) is doing animals and the environment (not to mention their bodies) a HUGE favour. So can we please just give some props instead of criticism?
    Also--It might help to bring someone over to veganism (if that's the goal), if say, vegans out there encouraged, rather than discouraged one's efforts.
    How many vegans out there actually go cold-turkey vegan?--pardon the pun. but not really ;)

Benefits to animals, environment, and our bodies is very much context based. I know vegans who make sure they are getting a well-balanced and nutritious varied diet and some who don't, and use veganism as an excuse for their eating disordered choices.

I agree that it was a poor choice of words for the OP, and find it highly amusing as well as being disrespectful towards those who have taken a stance on ethical concerns for the well-being of animals. Converting people is far from being my goal, and I find aggressive scare tactics (not in this thread, but in general) to be highly unpalatable. The position that it's better for all under every circumstance is just incorrect. Blanket statements like these usually are.

I think that people should choose the diet that works for them, but make rational choices and go about it in a healthy manner. So no, kudos is not always appropriate in all situations. There's not enough information in the OP to determine if that's the case here. So I'm not taking a stance on that aspect of it.

bbell1985 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    kaypee65 wrote: »
    Rough crowd! Not all plant based eaters make that decision for the same reason. I eat mostly plant based because I believe it's healthier. But I still use fish sauce in my Thai curries.

I love Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Her recipes are generally easy and delicious. Post Pink Kitchen

If he had said "plant-based," there would be no issue. "Vegan" implies an ethical position.

And not eating meat once per week as a delicacy. Oh my god I just laughed a little. I needed that.

Right?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    My protein comes from natural sources. Deer/Turkey/Bear & the fish I catch. :)

As opposed to unnatural protein? Care to give an example?